SoCal TRACON Tour Write Up

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
So I got to do the SoCal TRACON tour today and though I would share my take aways.

This was a great structured presentation then a tour of both the actual control room floor and time in the simulator training floor. They had 25 spots for the tour and 100 requests so they adding more tours and trying to make it a regular outreach program for GA pilots.

First and foremost, regardless of what you are doing they WANT you on Flight Following. Unless they are managing an emergency, from their perspective they would rather be talking to you even if it is just maneuvers next to your uncontrolled field in a practice area or a short hop. Even though I am always on FF, it was apparent even from other pilots in the room that they though FF was only for long XC trips. Not at all true. They are trying to combat flight schools and CFI’s that are actively teaching otherwise.

Even if you are not IFR, learn the approach corridors to the airports in your area. Many of their conflicts come from VFR traffic blindly blowing across an approach path not talking to anyone.

For FF request…”So Cal…Cessna 12345, VFR request”…and THAT IS IT. Wait for their response before rambling off the rest. This is counter to my take which is closer to the AIM recommendation but after seeing how they work…just a simple “VFR Request” makes total sense.

VFR…they don’t care what your equipment suffix is. It does not show up in their data blocks and they assume everyone these days is /G. If you can not navigate an instruction, just let them know but they could generally care less what VFR traffic is. They will request it if needed.

If you are skirting airspace thinking you are safer, leave yourself AT LEAST 500’ if not 1000’ buffer over or under B, C and D rings for a better chance of not bending metal. They move IFR traffic a lot right AT those airspace altitudes,

IFR…you loose com, squawk 7600…arrive at your destination early….what are we taught to do?...hold till ETA. Guess what, they don’t know nor care what your ETA is without some digging. As soon as you punch in 7500, 7600, 7700 the WHOLE building knows and they are clearing he airspace for you to land. Long story short…shoot the approach and get on the ground as soon as you can as they are clearing the airspace for you

Altimeter read backs…they do not really care either way if you read back the numbers, but they at least need to hear your tail number as an acknowledgement.

“Roger, 12345” is a perfectly acceptable response to an altimeter call out.

ADS-B….as the presenter said…”We don’t know what it is, why it is, or how they are gonna use it.”. They have gone to what is called “Fused Radar” which unlike traditional radar updates with a 6-7 second sweep. The new system takes info from at least three radar sources and gives them a more accurate 1 second refresh. They just last week UNPLUGGED they ADS-B input from the system due to the unreliability. We all just shook our heads as he shrugged his shoulders.

If you fly in So Cal…expect MAJOR changes in the airspace, flyways, approach, and departure procedures over the next 18 months. If you fare assigned a SID, know it and fly it accurately especially in SoCal. Slight deviations can create a loss of separation real quick and is a common problem.

This was a GREAT experience on how SoCal handles their airspace and what they want and expect. This was an official presentation with upper level people in the room, not just one controller’s preferences. Everything they stressed was from the perspective of safety and getting all parties on the ground alive and not a control issue where they want to tell you what to do for their convenience. Many of these issue have been debated here on POA to nauseam so it was nice to hear the persecutive from those at the other end of the mic.

If anyone has the opportunity to attend on of these in the future, HIGHLY recommend it. It is well worth the trip even if you are not in the immediate area.

Thanks for the write-up. I am one of those who rarely asks for flight following unless I am travelling more than 30 minutes outside my home drome, or into busy airspace. I'm going to have to change that. It's also nice to know that I don't have to spew that whole PA28-181/G stuff.

I'm going to have to arrange a tour of NORCAL up here in my neck of the woods.

Yeah this was cool cuz it was much more than just a "here is the scope" kinda day. I am actually from NorCal and hope they start a similar program.

Lol! ADS-B. Same thing I've experienced with controller friends. Don't have a clue what it is or how to use it. The FAA big wigs have us believing it's the future of Nex-Gen but the people who work aircraft on a daily basis know better.

No they don't care about an equipment suffix is for VFR. I used to automatically type in /U into the FIDO because it doesn't matter.

Not sure I agree with FF. They shouldn't care either way. So you call up for FF. Great. If you don't, great.

Technique for altimeter readouts and initial call ups are exactly what other controllers on here have recommended as well.

You're a Bay Area guy, right? NorCal is in Sacramento, specifically near KMHR. Oakland Center is much closer (Fremont).

Not sure I agree with FF. They shouldn't care either way. So you call up for FF. Great. If you don't, great

Actually the complete opposite...at least for SoCal. The major theme of the whole day was they WANT to be talking to you and that are making a major push to teach this in flight training and educate CFI's that are shall we say...set in their ways. If not, they can not assume anything regarding your intentions and can not help anyone with Conflict Adviories not if, but WHEN they arise.

You're a Bay Area guy, right? NorCal is in Sacramento, specifically near KMHR. Oakland Center is much closer (Fremont).

Yeah, but most of my hours are XC in and through SoCal and knew this would be a lot more informative than a typical drop by tour. Was well worth the trip.

Actually the complete opposite...at least for SoCal. The major theme of the whole day was they WANT to be talking to you and that are making a major push to teach this in flight training and educate CFI's that are shall we say...set in their ways. If not, they can not assume anything regarding your intentions and can not help anyone with Conflict Adviories not if, but WHEN they arise.

Unless they're trying to pad their traffic count it shouldn't matter. Calling ATC for FF only adds to their duties. They don't care. If they can't provide the service, they'll tell you.

I agree with them in that somewhere along the line the rumor was spread that controllers don't have time for FF. Total BS. They don't care if you call or not. They get paid the same either way.

The one overriding observation I've heard about tours in the past was they were expecting dress shirts and ties. Probably noticed they don't dress in any particular manner. I went there in 99 with my Marine class C uniform and these dudes are wearing T-shirts and ball caps. Only thing that I really noticed was the map of the US with all the aircraft on it...that and a beautiful blonde controller with glasses. :)

Unless they're trying to pad their traffic count it shouldn't matter. Calling ATC for FF only adds to their duties. They don't care

Nope, completely wrong according to this TRACON...and your mentality is what they are up against. Their workload is actually increased if they have to try and guess what a bunch of 1200 targets are gonna do vs knowing their intentions. This was hammed home repeatedly.

Nope, completely wrong according to this TRACON...and your mentality is what they are up against. Their workload is actually increased if they have to try and guess what a bunch of 1200 target are gonna do vs knowing their intentions.

??? Their workload isn't increased by not calling. That's one less aircraft to tag up. In a traffic call, you only have to issue a traffic call to one aircraft and not two. If you're going XC, they don't have to type you into the FIDO. Their duties are reduced by you not calling.

As I said, they don't care. It's their job.

Their almost hour long PowerPoint on just this topic says otherwise. Not sayin all TRACONs are the same, but in SoCal, they care.

You think it is easier for them to vector a bunch of IFR and FF traffic because there is a 1200 target and they can not assume what he will do? Ok then.

Their almost hour long PowerPoint on just this topic says otherwise. Not sayin all TRACONs are the same, but in SoCal, they care.

You think it is easier for them to vector a bunch of IFR and FF traffic because there is a 1200 target and they can not assume what he will do? Ok then.

You don't vector an IFR or VFR around a 1200 code. Why? Because there is no established separation for that. You maybe give a altitude restriction and a traffic call on the 1200 code and that's it. So instead of two traffic calls you only give one.

Somehow a rumor spread that controllers don't like FF. Totally untrue. It's an additional service they provide
based on workload. They provide it if they have time but say they want to provide it makes no sense. It's like saying they want to issue IFR clearances. They don't care, it's just a service they provide. To eliminate that service would actually reduce their workload. When I did ATC I wanted everything to increase my workload but that's just me. It's why I signed up for the job. Sitting around doing nothing is boring.

For FF request…”So Cal…Cessna 12345, VFR request”…and THAT IS IT. Wait for their response before rambling off the rest. This is counter to my take which is closer to the AIM recommendation but after seeing how they work…just a simple “VFR Request” makes total sense.

Ah, but do they want the "VFR Request" part or do not care if you leave it out and simply say "So Cal, Cessna 12345"?

The inference was "VFR request"...that way they know who you are, that you are a cold call and not somewhere on their scope already, and they know exactly what you want then they can respond when ready amongst their other workload and be ready to copy all of the info you ramble once requested

The person that asked the question gave a few examples of how they would prefer it "VFR REQUEST" being one of them and he said "That one...just like that...request flight following, request traffic advisories but start with just a request before spitting out all your info"

Seeing them in action. few are hovering over the keyboard ready at a spit second to punch in all the info on the proper screen. They were either super busy working all the traffic or laid back in their chair watching the screen.

That format does fall within the guidelines of the AIM: Who you are calling, who you are, where you are and what you want if short.

Even if you do not hear them on frequency, there is a lot happening off mic so the giving them a chance to be ready with minimum chance of repeats makes sense.

I was a "request" guy starting out. My CFII got on me to spit it all out. After much research, I found a balance and I was one that would ramble off a lot of info but keep it short as possible right out of the gate. Having now gone through that day with them and seeing what THEY prefer (at least SoCal) moving forward my procedure for FF requests will be:

"NorCal, Skylane 123245 departing Watsonville, VFR Request"

Now calling up for say an IFR flight plan is a different story, your info is sitting at the top of the screen and they are expecting you.

Last edited:
So I got to do the SoCal TRACON tour today and though I would share my take aways.

This was a great structured presentation then a tour of both the actual control room floor and time in the simulator training floor. They had 25 spots for the tour and 100 requests so they adding more tours and trying to make it a regular outreach program for GA pilots.

First and foremost, regardless of what you are doing they WANT you on Flight Following. Unless they are managing an emergency, from their perspective they would rather be talking to you even if it is just maneuvers next to your uncontrolled field in a practice area or a short hop. Even though I am always on FF, it was apparent even from other pilots in the room that they though FF was only for long XC trips. Not at all true. They are trying to combat flight schools and CFI’s that are actively teaching otherwise.

Even if you are not IFR, learn the approach corridors to the airports in your area. Many of their conflicts come from VFR traffic blindly blowing across an approach path not talking to anyone.

VFR…they don’t care what your equipment suffix is. It does not show up in their data blocks and they assume everyone these days is /G. If you can not navigate an instruction, just let them know but they could generally care less what VFR traffic is. They will request it if needed.

If you are skirting airspace thinking you are safer, leave yourself AT LEAST 500’ if not 1000’ buffer over or under B, C and D rings for a better chance of not bending metal. They move IFR traffic a lot right AT those airspace altitudes,

IFR…you loose com, squawk 7600…arrive at your destination early….what are we taught to do?...hold till ETA. Guess what, they don’t know nor care what your ETA is without some digging. As soon as you punch in 7500, 7600, 7700 the WHOLE building knows and they are clearing he airspace for you to land. Long story short…shoot the approach and get on the ground as soon as you can as they are clearing the airspace for you

Altimeter read backs…they do not really care either way if you read back the numbers, but they at least need to hear your tail number as an acknowledgement.

“Roger, 12345” is a perfectly acceptable response to an altimeter call out.

ADS-B….as the presenter said…”We don’t know what it is, why it is, or how they are gonna use it.”. They have gone to what is called “Fused Radar” which unlike traditional radar updates with a 6-7 second sweep. The new system takes info from at least three radar sources and gives them a more accurate 1 second refresh. They just last week UNPLUGGED they ADS-B input from the system due to the unreliability. We all just shook our heads as he shrugged his shoulders.

If you fly in So Cal…expect MAJOR changes in the airspace, flyways, approach, and departure procedures over the next 18 months. If you fare assigned a SID, know it and fly it accurately especially in SoCal. Slight deviations can create a loss of separation real quick and is a common problem.

This was a GREAT experience on how SoCal handles their airspace and what they want and expect. This was an official presentation with upper level people in the room, not just one controller’s preferences. Everything they stressed was from the perspective of safety and getting all parties on the ground alive and not a control issue where they want to tell you what to do for their convenience. Many of these issue have been debated here on POA to nauseam so it was nice to hear the persecutive from those at the other end of the mic.

If anyone has the opportunity to attend on of these in the future, HIGHLY recommend it. It is well worth the trip even if you are not in the immediate area.

Good write up. Thanks for taking the time. Did you get down on the floor and get to plugin with a controller for awhile?

Good write up. Thanks for taking the time. Did you get down on the floor and get to plugin with a controller for awhile?

We were on the floor and watched a live open station in smaller groups and hovered over a few active controller's shoulders. Did not plug in but you can hear their half of the conversations. On the training floor, they ran some simulations where we got to see in depth what exactly they were doing on the scopes and explanation of their procedures.

It was kinda weird being in a dark windowless room (warehouse would be more accurate) and how little they actually see via a computer screen vs. us who sees the the whole world out the window. Even their scopes were so de-cluttered...imagine an IFR chart, remove ALL text, airways, compass roses, airspace boundaries...just a few boxes and marks that represent airports, waypoints and VORs...all which they have memorized. They can call it all up but imagine having to memorize a whole IFR chart in your head. That is what they do.

Last edited:
Great writeup - the tour was unfortunately all booked up by the time I knew I'd be in town. Would have been fun to be there!

Nice. Thanks for taking time to write up.

Wonder if New York TRACON ever does the same.... hafta look into that.

Back