SOCAL/ S. Nevada Avionics Shop Recommendation Needed

farmrjohn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
farmrjohn
I would like to replace my legacy vacuum instruments (attitude/DG) with twin Garmin G5s and a GPS 175. The plane currently has no installed nav system and uses skyBeacon with a Garmin GTX327 for ADS-B out. I'm looking for recommendations for an avionics shop in SOCAL or southern Nevada. Thanks.

What's your budget like? There are a few good ones in SoCal but they are $$. I use an independent guy for my avionics. The 175 doesn't require a certified garmin installer but the G5s do, so you may be roped into the $$ regardless.

What's your budget like? There are a few good ones in SoCal but they are $$. I use an independent guy for my avionics. The 175 doesn't require a certified garmin installer but the G5s do, so you may be roped into the $$ regardless.

I figure the electronics will run around 10K but am clueless on the amount of time it will take, say 50 hours plus or minus? The airplane interior is rather simple, as is the existing panel. They will need to install a GPS antenna and coax cable but access should be "easy" for both.

G5 kits are being sold over the counter with STC and LOA, no dealer install required.

High Desert Avionics at WJF is excellent, though they have a backlog

I figure the electronics will run around 10K but am clueless on the amount of time it will take, say 50 hours plus or minus? The airplane interior is rather simple, as is the existing panel. They will need to install a GPS antenna and coax cable but access should be "easy" for both.
Two GPS antennas - one for the 175 and another for the G5s. Yes, you could use a splitter, but the STC requires separate antennas to ensure separate electrical power. I just got quoted 40 hrs at the local avionics shop for the HSI-G5 and the 175, since I already have the AI-G5 installed. Local A&P installed the first G5, but he prefers not to do the 175. Total: $11K for 175, 2nd antenna, 2nd G5, paperwork, removing the vacuum system, and all the extras needed (wiring, etc).

I'm also looking for a Socal shop to install a gps175. I'm striking out so far. It will replace kln94 and interface to Aspen pro 1000 PFD.

I'm also looking for a Socal shop to install a gps175. I'm striking out so far. It will replace kln94 and interface to Aspen pro 1000 PFD.
Unfortunately, the only shop I know is SE of Sacramento...

http://www.airtronicsavionics.com/

They just opened the shop at KFTG in Denver....did some work on my airplane a couple weeks ago, I'm happy. Did the estimate on the 175/HSI I want to install after the first of the year, which I liked. Not always the cheapest, but quality work.

Back