Soaring at Minden

B2Soar

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
B2Soar
Hello glider guys,

I suppose some of you have done this. Three of us glider pilots and a CFII from ND flew a C-182 towplane to Minden arriving Tuesday March 17. Two of us alternated recieving IFR instruction on the flight there and back. It was the first mouintain flying for both of us and a great experience.

It was the first time for all of us at Minden. There are over 80 gliders based at the field KMEV. We arrived about 8am and briefed on field operations for a couple of hours. We decided to get checked out in an ASK 21 which none of us had flown before. Beautiful bird both in appearance and flight characteristics. Our first tows were to 3000' agl and I got the second tow which was after lunch. Field elevation is 4700' msl and we released at 7700'msl. Tow was a bit sporty which is the way I like it as it is an indication lift may be available. We found .5 to 4 knots lift and after about 15 minutes were at 9500' msl. Then suddenly it was like floating on cotton as we were in wave (my first) and getting 3-4 knots of lift. This and what happened next were the highlights and worth all costs of the trip for me. There is a 3-4 thousand foot high ridge running N-S just to the west of Minden. We were getting high enough to see over this ridge and a spectacular lake slowly appeared to the west. My first peak at Lake Taho and what a way to see it! In less than 10 minutes we were at 11,800' msl and a strange flapping noise developed which scared the check pilot into deciding to descend and land. I would have loved to stay up there or higher for hours but we landed after a 48 minute flight which was my all time top one ever. The flapping noise was the wing root gap seal tape which had let loose. It was too close to see in flight. Maybe a good thing it let loose or we probably would still be up there and the other two guys would be ticked at me. We ended up all getting three tows and the CFII did the towing. I think we showed him enough fun that he will get his glider rating soon. Sorry this is so long but it took me lots of words to even partiallly describe my enjoyment. I really recommend this if you have not done it already.:D

Rick

Sweet, Rick. Being a flat lander here in WI I haven't hat the opportunity to fly in wave, YET. I will be heading down to Marfa for the wave camp in two weeks, and hope to get some good flying in.

Minden is on my to do list eventually, but probably not this year.

by the way

:needpics:

:D

awesome! i too daydream about wave. thanks for the report!

We had some thermal and ridge up to weak wave last Sat. We were a little too far out in front of the advancing cold front that came in overnight Saturday. We had to cancel Sunday for the 40G50 ground winds. Sort of hard to ground handle the gliders and turn the tow plane around in that stuff.

Cal City's Caracole Soaring Wave Camp was a success last week with wave on Saturday.

Who did you fly with at MEV?

I had a root tape come partially loose on me while giving a ride in a Twin Astir once. The noise resulting from the reed like vibration scared the crap out of me. I barely mentioned it to the passenger but carefully headed back to the airport. I was afraid I'd left the tail dolly on and it had punched a hole in the rear fuselage when bouncing loose on take off, or something... The mind really struggles for explanations at times like that!

Glad you are having a good time with soaring. Wave is dreamy and ridge is a riot.

Thermal transition to wave. A soaring pilot's dream.

I had wing tape come loose on a Grob 103 Twin II, talk about a buzzing distraction. I knew what it was when it happened, but it was so loud I just had to land to get rid of it.

First experience was when wing tape came loose on a 1-26. I thought maybe the lower fabric behind the seat had opened up. Still a solo glider student at the time, but my other years of aviation, "Wind the watch", to solve things and land when ready.

Yeah.. someone had put tape where most people have a rubber wing seal on the 1-26.

Lennie's over head at dinner tonight, forecast high winds for tomorrow.
Dang... I got to do that 4 letter thing called "WORK".

Hello Pete,

Some pics that you asked for;
-A peek at Lake Taho
-Some lennies over the field at MEV
-My "Wave Lady" check pilot and the ASK 21 (proof that girls and gliders are OK also):ihih:

I hope that you find nice wave at Marfa and if you do you better be PREPARED TO HAVE FUN!:D I will want to read all about it.

Rick

Attachments

• Minden-Taho March,2009 016.jpg
    Minden-Taho March,2009 016.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 19
  • Minden-Taho March,2009 013.jpg
    Minden-Taho March,2009 013.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 18
  • Minden-Taho March,2009 014.jpg
    Minden-Taho March,2009 014.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 25
A couple more pics;
-another shot of Lake Taho
-mountain near Winnemucca,Nv

Attachments

• Minden-Taho March,2009 017.jpg
    Minden-Taho March,2009 017.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 14
  • Minden-Taho March,2009 026.jpg
    Minden-Taho March,2009 026.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 19
Rick, those are some great shots... I am off to Marfa for the Texas Wave Camp in a week and cannot wait.

By the way which operator did you fly with in Minden?

Sounds like an awesome time! We had fantastic wave lift last week in Utah, but like an idiot, I am still finishing up the winter repairs on my glider and the club's glider! Mine is ready for annual and the club Blanik will get a new stripe on it Tuesday night! Pete Marfa sounds like fun, can I meet you in El Paso and split the rental car?

Back