So, What is the Saharan Dust going to do for My Weekend Flying Plans??

FlyingElvii

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
flyingElvii
The local stations are dooming and glooming about this weekend’s Saharan Dust Incursion. Any idea what this means for weekend planning?

Lower risk of sunburn, smudgy looking skies, but great sunsets & sunrises. Sounds like a perfect reason to fly. That view from the space station is amazing.

Going forward over the next few weeks, I’m hoping it will suppress hurricane development in the Atlantic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It'll make your photos look golden!
48212365572_d11278f427_c.jpg

What is this dust thing everyone talks about.??

Can't be any worse than the smoke you guys from Arizona insist on sending to NM.....:lol:

Hey

All we are is dust in the wind....

Florida panhandle this morning. No clouds, but anything over 2,500' would have been IMC.

Had to stay at 2,000 or lower. By 9am it was just too hot. :(

What is this dust thing everyone talks about.??

Can't be any worse than the smoke you guys from Arizona insist on sending to NM.....:lol:

Am at Dona Ana (KDNA) ... think there were 8 in NM last weekend. Refueled TorC and there was one just north making visibility really hazy ...

Well if you'd stop lighting forest fires in AZ we wouldn't have this problem. ;)

Its the damn protesters! They keep burning the wrong area trying to find "Monument Valley" to destroy a few:eek::eek::confused::confused:;)

It happens every year, but this year is supposed to be worse. Wonder what it will do to a air filter and engine? I am thinking it will not be healthy for engines. I understand that the particles are tiny, meaning that an air filter may not stop them.

How long will it last?

Last edited:
It happens every year, but this year is supposed to be worse. Wonder what it will do to a air filter and engine? I am thinking it will not be healthy for engines. I understand that the particles are tiny, meaning that an air filter may not stop them.

How long will it last?
I just got this email from Textron. It's referring to jet engines (P&W). Not sure if pistons would be affected too. They're probably playing CYA, but who knows.

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 15.29.30.png

Last edited:
Went for a 150mi motorcycle ride, the skies have a strange washed out look to them.

Yeah. It was bad. I gave up the ideas of flying today. Never saw it quite like this. Now thunderstorms. Maybe it will clear it out. Or bring locust ....... weather has been tough for past few weeks

Florida panhandle this morning. No clouds, but anything over 2,500' would have been IMC.

We flew out to Pennsylvania from Tampa yesterday and by 11.5k I could barely see the ground. It got better the further north we went.

SE Florida it was definitely hazy below 12k, but look clear above. Hazy, but no IFR. Pretty much normal for this time of year.

East coast of FL today, it started to clear at about 8k, could barely see the shoreline at 4k. No evidence of dust on the airplane itself.

PDK? Do you think everyone in the country knows where every airport when referred to by its designation? Would it be too time consuming to key in a city or state?

It’s okay, even tough disrespectful, to make most of us look it up to find out where it is. When the time comes for me to refer to an airport, I will give an identifiable location, even if it is as vague as North East Texas. That would be more respectful than making you look it up if you have an interest.

Last edited:
What's this "air filter" you speak of. :D

(I haven't seen a Velocity with an IO-550 with an air filter)

What does that have to do with my question about the effect of the sand on an air filter and an engine?

Are you saying your plane has no air filter of any kind?

Last edited:
On the Skyhawks I rent if you turn on carb heat you by pass the air filter.

I had owned a Velocity and it did not have an air filter. Was able to add an inline screen.

I had owned a Velocity and it did not have an air filter. Was able to add an inline screen.

Operating a piston engine with no air filter is really bad news. It will eat up the top rings first, but will significantly shorten engine life. I have never heard of a Velocity, but if it is some sort of centrifugal particle remover or something, then that is serving as an air filter.

I got a trip to central florida Monday. We'll see how GE engines hold up to this Africa Dirt

Operating a piston engine with no air filter is really bad news. It will eat up the top rings first, but will significantly shorten engine life. I have never heard of a Velocity, but if it is some sort of centrifugal particle remover or something, then that is serving as an air filter.
What are you ignorant? (That’s a joke)

velocity’s are like mooneys only even better. They don’t just have their tails on backward, their tails are on the wrong side of the plane. The engine too!

PDK? Do you think everyone in the country knows where every airport when referred to by its designation? Would it be too time consuming to key in a city or state?

It’s okay, even tough disrespectful, to make most of us look it up to find out where it is. When the time comes for me to refer to an airport, I will give an identifiable location, even if it is as vague as North East Texas. That would be more respectful than making you look it up if you have an interest.

My OP edited per your request. :)

Last edited:
My OP edited per your request. :)
Im not sure why he's in such a crappy mood in this thread....I think most pilots are aware of PDK as the primary reliever in the atlanta area. I even know what the king & queen are thanks to @write-stuff 's videos, although that's a bit more esoteric.

I appreciate the photo as there's not a lot of info about the actual effects of this dust on GA. Looks like it won't make it this far north for the most part thankfully.

Back