So What Are Your Holiday Plans?

pulling out my engineer card

....cards? they carry cards now.....? I thought they only had their own boots..

Enjoy your week guys! you deserve it! Even though sales will get the credit..

Okay, you sons and daughters of Martha, time to decide. What is the greatest engineering achievement of all time? The pyramids? The Panama canal? The integrated circuit? The moon landing? The electronic computer? The Roman Colosseum? Something else?

State your choice and make your case.

Okay, you sons and daughters of Martha, time to decide. What is the greatest engineering achievement of all time? The pyramids? The Panama canal? The integrated circuit? The moon landing? The electronic computer? The Roman Colosseum? Something else?

spaceflight

or is that too broad?

Thermos bottle. Self-evident.

I dunno.

My wife only went out with me because I took her for an airplane ride. She was adamant it was not under any circumstances a date. That airplane ride was twenty seven years ago.

So being a pilot has been getting me laid for almost three decades now. Pretty good deal in my opinion.

Happy engineers week to all you nerds. I’ll go watch some modern marvels: Engineering Disasters. Always fun to pick on the dumb ones in class.

Well I had been laid for nearly three decades as well, but it's not because I was a pilot, and for Christ's sake, please don't tell my wife.

Put a subcategory to it. First manned spaceflight? Interplanetary probes? Manned spaceflight? Moon landing? International Space Station?

ok. I'll go with the first moon landing.

Of course, there were so many engineering achievements to get there and return safely...

an alternative achievement, more mundane but still important is the sanitary benefits of indoor plumbing...

IT’S HERE! HAPPY E-WEEK, EVERYBODY!!

Have a wonderful time this week. Enjoy all the feasts and parties and parades, as well as some quality time with your families, passing on the joys of engineering to the little ones. Tuck them in and read a chapter or two from Florman’s The Existential Pleasures of Enignineering, or maybe recite Kipling’s “The Sons of Martha” together.

:drink::cheerswine:

ISO9000
Six Sigma Management
PowerPoint

I'd vote for integrated circuits.

The x-ray/reverse engineering on Ken Shiriff's blog (righto.com) always fascinates me.

3 Engineers are sitting at the bar, having a conversation along the lines of:

“If God were an engineer, what kind of engineer would he be?”

The Mechanical Engineer:

"Obviously he was mechanical. Look at the human body, joints, the complex range of motion, the connective tissue. Mechanical Engineer for sure!”

The Electrical Engineer:

"No way. Electrical. Look at that brain! All the nerves, neurons, every little electrical impulse that ties it together! Must’ve been Electrical!"

The Civil Engineer:

Takes a sip of his drink. "Nope. I can say for a fact that the human body was designed by a Civil Engineer. Who else would put a sewage disposal system right in the middle of a recreation area?”

Chemical engineering.

A chemist might discover the alcohol molecule, but doing something useful with it is engineering.
:D
I went to an engineering school, but elected to graduate as a chemist, since that is the subject that interested me.

The chemical engineers only got to take two years of chemistry, followed by two years of plumbing.

I went to an engineering school, but elected to graduate as a chemist, since that is the subject that interested me.

The chemical engineers only got to take two years of chemistry, followed by two years of plumbing.
So you're saying they have a fall back career?

Once again, the happiest time of the year is almost upon us. Next week will be National Engineer’s Week, that joyous season when we show our appreciation for all the miracles the profession has wrought and honor the engineer miracle workers among us.

How do you plan to celebrate?
Two old (and I mean really old) friends of mine and their wives, from our Ga. Tech days (in the '70s) are flying from various parts of the country to meet up in a Air-BnB condo on St Simons island. I am flying (A Bonanza V35) from Central Florida. One friend and his wife are coming from Michigan (in an A36 with a new IO 550) and the third friend and his pilot wife are flying (a Cessna 182 with a recently upgraded $100k Garmin panel) from the Atlanta Area.
We plan to party hard and keep the whole Island awake at least until around 9:30 or 10pm.

And that plumbing is what keeps your cars and trucks running.

<------ son of a process design engineer (chemical engineer) that designed refineries

Two old (and I mean really old) friends of mine and their wives, from our Ga. Tech days (in the '70s) are flying from various parts of the country to meet up in a Air-BnB condo on St Simons island. I am flying (A Bonanza V35) from Central Florida. One friend and his wife are coming from Michigan (in an A36 with a new IO 550) and the third friend and his pilot wife are flying (a Cessna 182 with a recently upgraded $100k Garmin panel) from the Atlanta Area.
We plan to party hard and keep the whole Island awake at least until around 9:30 or 10pm.

Outstanding! My GT years were a bit later, BEE in ‘84.

Remember- 60 is the new 40, but 9:00 is the new midnight. ;)

Now this is how to celebrate E-Week! Colorado School of Mines. Apparently a couple of alumni own a pyro company and put on a fireworks show every year.

Four engineers are sharing a car on a business trip. Without warning, the engine dies and the car coasts to a stop.

The mechanical engineer says "Something must be wrong with the engine; I will get out and check."

The electrical engineer says "No, I think something is wrong with the ignition; I will get out and check."

The chemical engineer says "No, I think we're out of fuel; I will get out and check."

The software engineer says "I'll just sit here and roll down the Windows and roll them back up."

Last edited:
Four engineers are sharing a car on a business trip. Without warning, the engine dies and coasts to a stop.

The mechanical engineer says "Something must be wrong with the engine; I will get out and check."

The electrical engineer says "No, I think something is wrong with the ignition; I will get out and check."

The chemical engineer says "No, I think we're out of fuel; I will get out and check."

The software engineer says "I'll just sit here and roll down the Windows and roll them back up."

No. The Software Engineer (and I was one) says "Let's push it back to the start and see if it happens again." Tech support would open and close the windows.

An engineer returns to his room to find it ablaze. He grabs a bucket, fills it with water, pours it on the fire, then keeps pouring until the fire is out and adds more for a safety factor, then goes to sleep in his now soaking wet bed.

Same thing happens to a physicist. He sprinkles a few drops of water on the fire, observes the results, makes some quick calculations about latent heat of vaporization, and pours exactly the necessary amount of water on the fire to put it out, and goes to sleep in his still dry bed.

The mathematician obverses the fire for a moment, thinks about it, and cries, "Yes! There is at least one non trivial solution!", and leaves the actual extinguishing of the fire as a corollary exercise for his graduate students.

Which reminds me of the discussion between the chair of the Physics department and the dean over his equipment budget.
Dean: "You've got all this expensive equipment, particle accelerator, high power transformers, etc. Why can't you be more like the math department? They only need pencils and erasers? Or better yet, the philosophy department. They only need pencils."

There's a local college that has both a pretty good engineering department, and a pretty good architecture school. The says was always, "what's the difference between an electrical engineer and an architect?" The electrical engineer makes weapons. The architect makes targets. One of those groups never saw the humor in that.

Three mathematicians went duck hunting, and were seated in the blind when a lone mallard flew by, presenting a difficult crossing shot.
The actuary drew a bead first, swung through to lead, and shot 10 feet in front of the duck. The calculus professor then took aim, but shot 10 feet behind the duck.
Whereupon the statistician jumped up and yelled, "We got it!"

What I do every year - push pins in a voodoo doll after several thousand hours of dealing with Lockheed's "engineering" of the ramp/door/locks/floor/bomb shackle/retriever winches on C130E models. Yeah, holdin' a grudge, but with the nagging back trouble to justify it. . .

A group of engineers and salesmen are traveling via train to a conference. Each of the salesmen buys a ticket, but the engineers buy only one ticket for all of them. One of the sales engineer asks, "How can you all travel on only one ticket?"

"Observe and learn," replies one of the engineers.

Once on the train, the engineers all cram into the lavatory. When the conductor moves down the car collecting tickets, he collects the salesmen's tickets and then knocks on the lavatory door, and says, "ticket please." The door opens a crack, a hand extends and the ticket is handed to the conductor, who then moves on to the next car. The salesmen are amazed by the engineers' cleverness.

On the return trip, the salesmen buy one ticket, and the engineers buy none at all. Again the salesmen ask, "How can you travel with no ticket?"

"Observe and learn," replied an engineer. On the train, the salesmen crowd into the lavatory. One of the engineers knocks on the lavatory door and says, "ticket, please."

Back