SO, this is a thing.....

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
I have never been to Japan, so I didn't know. Have seen similar in Europe though.

French truck stops.

I remember those in Europe when I was a kid. I always assumed they were urinals.

Works well for public bathrooms. Easy to clean with a hose and a squeegee.

Last time I was in Korea, the standard toilet was a rectangular hole in the floor. The only thing "flush" was the surface, if you know what I mean.

That was a while back, of course. I'm sure indoor plumbing is more common now.

I seem to remember some squat holes that had little raised foot prints coming up from the floor. A person was supposed to put their feet on these to stay above ''water'' level, and possibly improve the aim. I think I saw them in Vietnam....

I seem to remember some squat holes that had little raised foot prints coming up from the floor. A person was supposed to put their feet on these to stay above ''water'' level, and possibly improve the aim. I think I saw them in Vietnam....
I've seen them in China and India too.

I was on a volunteer trip to Haiti 3 months after the eathquake in a tent city in cite' Soleil that had those over dug pits. I literally prayed everyday I wouldn't have to use them. Thankfully I didn't. Between the heat, the sickness and such the smell was unbelievable.

Yea, the first time you walk into the restrooms at Narita you get to learn the symbols on the stall doors for which is which.

I was on a volunteer trip to Haiti 3 months after the eathquake in a tent city in cite' Soleil that had those over dug pits. I literally prayed everyday I wouldn't have to use them. Thankfully I didn't. Between the heat, the sickness and such the smell was unbelievable.
Worst ever for me was the field latrine in Basic at Ft. Leonard Wood. Fortunately we were in full field gear, so... mask, go do your thing, unmask. I don't know that the gas masks were going to do much for nerve agent or not, but they sure did work for that.

I can believe the smell..... I also bet people were praying they didn't fall in.

I know some amputees that wouldn't enjoy using those. Might be easier tol **** on the street like Sanfransicko.

In the Philippines, 30+ years ago, almost all toilets (off-base) were seat-less and were flushed by filling a bucket up from the shower. In Okinawa and Korea, only the nicer public restrooms had the clean tile and raised foot pads. Most often though, it was just a stinky hole, no toilet paper and no paper towels to dry with. Gave new meaning to being "S.O.L".

Back