So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Did my third Dual Cross Country on Sunday. Instructor said next one will be solo. I have to do my hood work for the next lesson and then 2 solo cross countries (Over the ocean) and then I should be a couple more hours til checkride.

Just passed my check ride yesterday. What a relief and it feels great. Hang in there everyone working towards your PPL. Took me 6 months - had to change planes part way through. Looking forward to taking family up and then building my cross country time. Will start planning for my instrument license next.

My advice to others is fly at least twice a week. Any time I didn't fly for a week or more I got rusty on my skills.

Good luck to all and keep at it.

bringing back this thread again....haha

In case anyone thought I gave up, got an hour solo Sunday, practicing steep turns along the beach, next stage for me is cross countries. Figuring out that right steep turns are easier than left for me for some reason, ? Was hitting my wake turning right, but losing altitude turning left.

Still enjoying my flight training. Obviously, I'm on the slow boat.... better than no boat.

saw this jet on the ramp:
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20160103_115635.jpg
    IMG_20160103_115635.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I'll jump in here as well because I think I can call myself a student (barely).
I took my first discovery flight last Saturday and filled out the medical information and scheduled my physical yesterday.
I am doing a lot of reading and studying online now and plan to start up full lessons this summer. My goal is to learn all about navigation and ATC communications prior to starting my official lessons.
I would do the lessons right away, but I'm finishing up buying my partner out from our business so I know I'll be very distracted/busy the next few months.

I'll jump in here as well because I think I can call myself a student (barely).
I took my first discovery flight last Saturday and filled out the medical information and scheduled my physical yesterday.
I am doing a lot of reading and studying online now and plan to start up full lessons this summer. My goal is to learn all about navigation and ATC communications prior to starting my official lessons.
I would do the lessons right away, but I'm finishing up buying my partner out from our business so I know I'll be very distracted/busy the next few months.

Listen to liveatc to help with radio work, the phone app is worth the $3 or whatever they charge.

Scheduled the ATP checkride with TB up in Michigan. Looks like by mid March I'll be finished with flight training for a while.

passed my FAA written for PPL on Dec 23, 15'

used combination of American Flyers online, ASA Test Prep, and Gold Seal to help pass test

fly at least 2-3x weekly, weather permitting

expect to solo in about 2-3 weeks

Student pilot with about nine hours at Benton O85. Grounded for the last two days because of weather and it's killing me! CFI called me this morning and said he couldn't even see the plane from the FBO's front desk. When weather is in my favor, I'm flying about five times a week.

I am just shy of three months in and have 27 hours. Have not soloed yet, though I suspect I'll be solo soon. I'm training at IASCO, weather has been horid so I have t flown in 5 days ☹️ I hope to complete my PPL by this summer. Thanks for sharing everyone, I enjoy reading other people's trials and tribulations who are in the same stage as me. Best of luck!

Up next: MOCK CHECKRIDE. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

I'm super nervous about the oral portion. I studied and passed the written last fall, then got married and honeymooned and didn't think about flying for too many months, and now I feel pretty rusty on some of the knowledge stuff.

Recently joined one of the best aviation training center for pursuing my aviation degree for FAA license in TX.

Passed my check ride in December 2015, still consider myself a student. Eventually will start working on my instrument rating.

Just passed my instrument checkride yesterday morning.
It was a lot of studying, lot of fun flying and a lot of work on the actual checkride ... but it was well worth it.

I would like to encourage all students to persevere and not give up, the result of passing a checkride and proving that we are worthy is unbeatable.

PP student here, dual XC today. It is just me or does flight planning suck all the fun out of it? I suppose once I do a few, I'll get used to it and it won't seem like such a labor.

Didn't end yesterdays session frustrated. I believe I'm now around 11-12 hrs. I've been having a problem with elevator control the instant after roundout. I would either pull back too much and float or balloon or not enough and land a little too hard (but haven't damaged anything yet).

Something finally clicked and I ended the day with a pretty good landing and one slightly firm (but much better than usual).

Well I'm 21.5 hours into this thing and finally starting to build my confidence and comfort level in the landings. 6 out of 7 today with calm winds that were unassisted and 1 other that he helped a little stating nose was a little low. Maybe another couple flights and I should be able to solo. Everything else coming together great!!

Didn't end yesterdays session frustrated. I believe I'm now around 11-12 hrs. I've been having a problem with elevator control the instant after roundout. I would either pull back too much and float or balloon or not enough and land a little too hard (but haven't damaged anything yet).

Something finally clicked and I ended the day with a pretty good landing and one slightly firm (but much better than usual).

These training aircraft are twitchy, I guess. I also have that problem, being too twitchy with my control inputs, even after 55 hours. It's so hard not to react quickly. My CFI says I have to ride it like a wave.

I am at about 14hrs total time, did my first solo this morning. 3 TO and landings with CFI, then he hopped out and did 3 of each solo. I've been at it since Sept but with work, weather and CFI's schedule the hours have been slow to grow.

I'm about 80% complete on the Jeppesen ground school training, I think only 2 chapters and the practice test left. At what point have others taken the written?

I just started my lessons again after a long 20+ year break. Did 1.1 yesterday with a total of 7.3. Was told i did real well considering how long it has been, so i am hoping all will go well through the rest of my training. Im doing the ground school portion ahead of the flight stuff through sportys dvd ground school. Hopefully it will give me an edge on the flying part of the training.

I'm at 51.5 hours, but between work and family I haven't been up in 3 months. Scheduled to go Wednesday - can't wait. Need to make that final push to checkride!

Ten hours since first part of December. Soloed two days ago with 10-12 winds 10-15 degrees off the runway which made it easy. (lesson before that they were 90 degrees off the runway and it still wasn't too bad). Can't get back to the plane until Friday which means two weeks in a row of one flight per week.... Need to fix that. I need to buy a plane!

I'm just doing general studies and didn't get one of the programs... They seem awfully expensive just to have all the info compiled in one place.

2nd dual XC in the books for me, next XC will be SOLO I think.

I just passed my PPL checkride on Sunday right at 50 hrs total time. Now, I'm trying to find a partner to split time with to build XC and simulated instrument time with to work towards the Instrument rating.

Congrats, Rusty!!

I just did my first solo to another airport the other day and it went... not so great :( I found the airport fine, but I botched up my approach and abandoned the landing. ATC got ****y with me, which didn't help the situation. So, instead of trying again, I headed back to the comfort of my own airport.

Later that day, I did my first night flight with my instructor. I thought I would LOVE the night flight, but it really did not sit well with me. I think part of it was because I was still shook up from the morning solo. But, also, not being able to see the ground or any of my normal reference points really messed with me. We flew to a nearby airport, then went back to our airport and did some stop and goes. I at least got the hang of night landings pretty fast.

Next stop is cross-country training and then a flight down to Martha's Vineyard for lunch and back. I look forward to that! :)

15 hours in. I have a three week break (restarting Feb 3) where I couldn't get the plane+me+instructor at the same time, so i'm using this to finish the Jepp ground school.

When i arrive for my next lesson, i'll have the pre-solo test in hand to review with my instructor and will ask him to endorse me to take the written test as well.

Then we'll go up for two hours, hopefully solo and then after our lesson is over I hope to go take the knowledge test.

If all goes well, that lesson will leapfrog my training forward and then i can start working on Nav and cross country stuff.

I just passed my PPL checkride on Sunday right at 50 hrs total time. Now, I'm trying to find a partner to split time with to build XC and simulated instrument time with to work towards the Instrument rating.

Congrats, looking for the same thing but I live in Indiana. Good Luck.

Congrats, Rusty!!

I just did my first solo to another airport the other day and it went... not so great :( I found the airport fine, but I botched up my approach and abandoned the landing. ATC got ****y with me, which didn't help the situation. So, instead of trying again, I headed back to the comfort of my own airport.

Later that day, I did my first night flight with my instructor. I thought I would LOVE the night flight, but it really did not sit well with me. I think part of it was because I was still shook up from the morning solo. But, also, not being able to see the ground or any of my normal reference points really messed with me. We flew to a nearby airport, then went back to our airport and did some stop and goes. I at least got the hang of night landings pretty fast.

Next stop is cross-country training and then a flight down to Martha's Vineyard for lunch and back. I look forward to that! :)

Glad to see you're still flying! I made a big screw-up or two on my night flight and my long solo x-c, so I know how you feel. Once I was done being ****ed with myself I was able to debrief and see the valuable lessons I (reluctantly) learned. I wish I could learn them all from the safety of a book in my living room, but I guess that's not how it goes.

Congrats!

Congrats, Rusty!!

The Vineyard should be a nice trip. I'm getting ready to start visiting some FBO's to interview instructors so I'm ready to start training in the Spring.

15 hours in. I have a three week break (restarting Feb 3) where I couldn't get the plane+me+instructor at the same time, so i'm using this to finish the Jepp ground school.

When i arrive for my next lesson, i'll have the pre-solo test in hand to review with my instructor and will ask him to endorse me to take the written test as well.

Then we'll go up for two hours, hopefully solo and then after our lesson is over I hope to go take the knowledge test.

If all goes well, that lesson will leapfrog my training forward and then i can start working on Nav and cross country stuff.

How do you like the Jepp course?

I am going to start my pilot career from 5th April. I am joining the aviation college, provides 70 weeks of the program and 250 flight hours.

How do you like the Jepp course?

I think it's pretty good. It's very dry, but if you pay attention, you'll learn a ton. King might be better, but my school recommends the Jepp course, so that's what I used.

Note, it requires Flash, so won't run on an ipad.

Glad to see you're still flying! I made a big screw-up or two on my night flight and my long solo x-c, so I know how you feel. Once I was done being ****ed with myself I was able to debrief and see the valuable lessons I (reluctantly) learned. I wish I could learn them all from the safety of a book in my living room, but I guess that's not how it goes.

Oh, yes, I'm definitely still flying! :)

I agree about wishing we could learn the "reluctantly learned" lessons from the safety of our living rooms, but, alas. Our lives have to get put on the line for some of these lessons! lol

Written done. Rocked it. Now just have night flight, one more XC, and check ride prep. Excited! Almost overwhelmed to think that soon I can go just about anywhere. It's almost too much!

Almost....

Back