So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

ugg. written passed, solo written test passed, maneuvers pretty good (probably good enough). Just need to consistently nail landings so I can get solo authorization and continue training.

It's been hard with how seldom I've been able to fly and the weather issues.

Going up Fri-Sat-Sun this weekend to hopefully nail it and dial myself in.

ugg. written passed, solo written test passed, maneuvers pretty good (probably good enough). Just need to consistently nail landings so I can get solo authorization and continue training.

It's been hard with how seldom I've been able to fly and the weather issues.

Going up Fri-Sat-Sun this weekend to hopefully nail it and dial myself in.

Ha, I'll trade you my solo sign off for your written passed! Just kidding, I like my solo sign off.

Ha, I'll trade you my solo sign off for your written passed! Just kidding, I like my solo sign off.
Ha, you'll do fine. I read several books and then just did the sporty's test prep. when I hit 75% on the sporty's fake test, I went and took the real one and ended up at 85% (I worked harder on the questions for the real one than the sporty's one, so i expected a higher score).

if you haven't yet, grab the app for $10 and see how you do, you might be there already.

Adding to my previous comment, I also need to stop sucking at landing. they're safe, but crappy, crappy, crappy. too much dinking around on final, fiddling with pitch and power and changing crosswinds vs a nice stabilized approach.

I feel like an idiot and thought I'd be the guy who was soloing real early, HA!

I have to believe i"ll get it eventually, but it feels far away right now.

You will. It took me a little while as well. Everyone kept saying, "One day it'll just click." I finally decided to club the next person who said that to me. Thankfully, I didn't have to, as one day, it just clicked :) Soloed two days before Christmas. You're not an idiot. You'll get it.

Written passed a few weeks ago. I took it a few days before I had planned, just cuz I got sick of wx canceling my flights...went to the FBO and just did it. About half way through, I realized that one of the questions was one of topics I had planned to study more for...but I got it right anyway. An extra few days of studying would have been a waste.

0.3 hrs of hood time left, then my long XC, and finally some dual and solo practice to do. Work and weather been conspiring against me since the new year. Started in early July 2015!

Ha, you'll do fine. I read several books and then just did the sporty's test prep. when I hit 75% on the sporty's fake test, I went and took the real one and ended up at 85% (I worked harder on the questions for the real one than the sporty's one, so i expected a higher score).

if you haven't yet, grab the app for $10 and see how you do, you might be there already.

Adding to my previous comment, I also need to stop sucking at landing. they're safe, but crappy, crappy, crappy. too much dinking around on final, fiddling with pitch and power and changing crosswinds vs a nice stabilized approach.

Don't get hung up on hours to solo, I had a lot of hours but not many landings. Some cfi's will put students in the pattern, some spend more time in the practice area. Once I did a few hours just busting out landings I finally got them down. My main problem with landings was timing the round-out. I found that I had to hold the descent steady (keep heading for that aiming point) a lot closer to the ground before rounding out leveling off and holding it off.

You will. It took me a little while as well. Everyone kept saying, "One day it'll just click." I finally decided to club the next person who said that to me. Thankfully, I didn't have to, as one day, it just clicked :) Soloed two days before Christmas. You're not an idiot. You'll get it.
thanks Cajun! that's encouraging. i'm sure I'll get it, it's just frustrating not to be any good at something. Then I have to remember I took up flying for the challenge.

Don't get hung up on hours to solo, I had a lot of hours but not many landings. Some cfi's will put students in the pattern, some spend more time in the practice area. Once I did a few hours just busting out landings I finally got them down. My main problem with landings was timing the round-out. I found that I had to hold the descent steady (keep heading for that aiming point) a lot closer to the ground before rounding out leveling off and holding it off.
Thank Jim. I'm the same. We don't go and "beat up the pattern", but I think that's what we'll do this weekend, if the winds are halfway reasonable. I know it's only part of the training, but I just want to keep it going.

thanks Cajun! that's encouraging. i'm sure I'll get it, it's just frustrating not to be any good at something. Then I have to remember I took up flying for the challenge.

I made my first GoPro video the other day. Ok, so my landings weren't perfectly on centerline and the first one ballooned a hair, but overall I pretty much nail them now.

I went solo yesterday and there was moderate turbulence and wind shear. It was awful and I completely butchered my approach back to KBED, but, then, I made one of the sweetest landings ever. Go figure. So don't give up! Just a couple months ago I was where you were... frustrated and wondering if I was ever going to get it. Landings used to be my least favorite part of flying. Now they are my favorite! I love the challenge of trying to nail them. I still have a ways to go and there are still many things I could be doing better, but I think for where I am in my training, I'm doing OK. You are too! Hang in there :)

Hey I didn't see a run up! :D

Good video Cajun, looking good! The flying too. ;)

Sound good on the radio!

Don't worry... I did it! I just cropped it out :)

It's funny how many little mistakes I caught myself on by watching this. Definitely a good learning tool.

Ok I'll take your word for it lol.

I didn't notice much at all, looked good! Big part of being a safe pilot though is catching small mistakes before they turn into bigger ones. Great job!

On minute 5:42... notice how I don't put the power all the way in for the takeoff. The other thing was that I should have immediately started moving when he started giving me t/o clearance. Sure, it was a calm day there and they weren't squeezing us in back-to-back like they usually are, but I still have to stay in the habit of not dawdling around. I also should have spoke a little faster on comms a couple of times. Like I said, little things :)

Meh don't ever rush a takeoff. Until the controller actually says "cleared for takeoff" you really shouldn't cross the hold short line. Always can use "unable" if a controller clears you for an immediate takeoff for example. Didn't notice anything bad on the radio. But yes, full power kinda important. :D

Meh don't ever rush a takeoff. Until the controller actually says "cleared for takeoff" you really shouldn't cross the hold short line. Always can use "unable" if a controller clears you for an immediate takeoff for example.

Good to know about the "unable." I get what you are saying and agree about waiting until you actually hear the word "cleared" to move past the hold short line. But on days like yesterday when I came back in from another airport to land... ATC was juggling a ton of planes. While I was doing a left 360, there was a guy in the other downwind being directed into a right 360. Was finally put 4th in line to land and planes were literally touching down and taking off back-to-back. Because of how busy that airport is, we're encouraged to not take our sweet @ss time doing things. But, again, I get what you are saying. I'll be careful to never rush a takeoff.

I made my first GoPro video the other day. Ok, so my landings weren't perfectly on centerline and the first one ballooned a hair, but overall I pretty much nail them now.

I went solo yesterday and there was moderate turbulence and wind shear. It was awful and I completely butchered my approach back to KBED, but, then, I made one of the sweetest landings ever. Go figure. So don't give up! Just a couple months ago I was where you were... frustrated and wondering if I was ever going to get it. Landings used to be my least favorite part of flying. Now they are my favorite! I love the challenge of trying to nail them. I still have a ways to go and there are still many things I could be doing better, but I think for where I am in my training, I'm doing OK. You are too! Hang in there :)
thanks for sharing!

I saw that at 5:39 you pulled the power as your crossed the threshold. I think I should do that and ease the power out sooner

On minute 5:42... notice how I don't put the power all the way in for the takeoff. The other thing was that I should have immediately started moving when he started giving me t/o clearance. Sure, it was a calm day there and they weren't squeezing us in back-to-back like they usually are, but I still have to stay in the habit of not dawdling around. I also should have spoke a little faster on comms a couple of times. Like I said, little things :)
I thought it was a good call not trying to talk to the controller on that last landing, you just clicked the mic. I was surprised he called you at that point in your landing, you don't need distractions at that point really. I would think he wouldn't talk to you at that point unless he was canceling your clearance.

I thought it was a good call not trying to talk to the controller on that last landing, you just clicked the mic.

It happens occasionally. I only do mic clicks when I'm about to touch down or if they radio to me on climb out (which has also happened a couple times). I want them to know I heard them, but I'm not going to risk my safety trying to respond.

Thanks for sharing your video. Very encouraging for us super newbies. :)
You did a great job!!!

Hello all. I'm an american, living in Norway (many years now) who grew up in the Chicago area with a father that was an excellent pilot. He used to have a C-172 at a (now closed) airport called Sky Harbor outside of Deerfield, Il. In my childhood I have many fond memories of him taking me up in the plane for short and long distance. I guess I picked up some rudimentary things, but he never went into a lot of detail. I can always remember how quiet we had to be when he was landing. I always wanted to learn to fly but never had the resources. Many years later (sometime in the 90's) I got to fly with him as an adult and he let me try a few banks, etc. I don't think I was very impressive, but again have always been interested. I'm starting at age 59, and hope I am not too old and slow, but I am determined to go all the way to getting my pilots license, at least VFR.

A few months back I started ground school. I am fluent in norwegian, but this is technical norwegian (Ailerons are called "balanseror", rudders "sideror" etc.) and I thought they had an english equivalent, but turns out no. So I bought the english version of the Handbook of Aeronautical knowledge, and read the norwegian book, and then same thing in english. I've tried first reading english too, then norwegian. Not sure which helps more.
I'm only at the start, I have finished the first few books, covering aeronoutics, and the engine and plane construction. I have a lot of questions, and this site is very helpful. I'm mainly soaking it all in, not posting (this is my first and probably only for a while) but there is a lot of knowledge here and I am very glad I can supplement a little by hanging out here.

My father passed away in 2007, and I really would have loved to have gotten to talk about flying with him, ask him some of the questions I have, I think he would have loved it too. I'm very sure I am not doing this out of anything except I did love flying, and have always been interested in it, just never really thought I too could do it until I realized I finally have resources enough to be able to afford it. I think it is a lot more expensive here as well but it's ok.

Anyway, I am very much enjoying this site. I feel also a huge respect for folks that have gone through the training, and learned to pilot an aircraft safely. It brings me a lot closer in thought, realizing how much my dad knew, how much it takes to learn enough to just be competent, let alone good at this. What he knew and could do, and what most folks here are able to understand and do. I particularly love the attention to detail in procedures (learning from others past mistakes) and while I find it challenging to get a good grasp of some of the concepts, but love just the theory part of it, but I can' t wait to get through this and try flying. Recent thread about crosswinds had me imagining my first solo (sometime in fall I believe I can make) and never coming down because I just keep doing aborted landing attempts :)

Edit to add..I spent many hours as a kid where my dad drove up to Sky Harbor, parked on the road on the other side of the fence on final approach for landings, and he'd compliment, harangue, give a running commentary "come on get the nose down" all kinds of advice with now and them him commenting (to me and himself) "beautiful...right on the mark" etc. not sure I understood his critiques or praise of different landings, hoping something sunk in though.

Last edited:
I've gotten to solo 3 times now, the first time was about 3 weeks ago, 3 landings with instructor, then 3 without. We hadn't been able to fly in that plane since then until this week, so again, Tuesday we did 3 with and 3 without. Then yesterday (wednesday) he had me go away from the airport to a practice area and do turns, slow flight and other maneuvers solo. So even though I'd soloed in the pattern before, this to me was more like my first solo flight.

What I had the most trouble with was entering the pattern for landing. Entered on the cross wind, so the down wind leg went much quicker than when you just stay in the pattern after take-off. So I didn't have my speed managed as well as I should have, which affected my altitude on final. I was a little high over the threshold but with plenty of runway, but as I got lower and began the flare I ballooned more than I liked so I decided to power up and go around. I was disappointed with myself at the time, but looking back now it was a good decision, I nailed the second attempt, one of my best landings to date.

Afterwords I had a nice talk with my CFI on pattern entry, so all in all it was a good day and I think I learned a lot.

What I had the most trouble with was entering the pattern for landing. Entered on the cross wind, so the down wind leg went much quicker than when you just stay in the pattern after take-off. So I didn't have my speed managed as well as I should have, which affected my altitude on final. I was a little high over the threshold but with plenty of runway, but as I got lower and began the flare I ballooned more than I liked so I decided to power up and go around. I was disappointed with myself at the time, but looking back now it was a good decision, I nailed the second attempt, one of my best landings to date.

There's never any shame in executing a go around. My CFI has been on me to solo more often, so I've gone up twice this week (once just around the pattern and once to another airport). I've made so many mistakes on these solos and learned so much about what I'm unsure of when my CFI isn't at my side... it's been a great learning experience. After I'm back on ground, I shoot him a text, let him know how it went and ask him any questions that came up.

I made a big oops on my last solo, though. Entered the pattern fine, but was immediately given orders to do a left 360. As I came out of it, I came out too tight into the pattern. I was told to extend downwind and that I was 4th in line. Unfortunately, when it was time to turn base, I overshot into the opposing downwind with traffic straight ahead of me at same altitude! :/ He had just come out of a right 360 on the other side and was 5th in line behind me. This happened because I was too tight in the pattern (...and I SUCK at right closed patterns!! ugh). I quickly radioed in my mistake and ATC gently calmed me and told the other traffic I was a student pilot, to confirm visual and to give me room to maneuver. The other pilot was awesome... he quickly moved out of the way and responded with words of encouragement for me. Between ATC calming me and him encouraging me, I was able to quickly regain my confidence and complete my approach safely. It had been a bumpy ride - with mod turbulence (learned the importance of a tightened seatbelt!), plus there was wind shear going on as well, so I was drained when I finally got on the ground. While the experience definitely shook me a bit, I learned a lot from it.

Anyway, these mistakes we make without our CFIs are excellent learning experiences... and confidence boosters. While we may screw up, we learn we are able to handle these blips and make appropriate choices to get ourselves safely back on ground. It sounds like you are doing great, GB! :)

LongRoadBob - Welcome!! Norway is a beautiful country... I'm jealous of the views you will see while flying! I'm sure your father would love knowing that you are interested in learning. Best of luck to you :)

Long time since I have posted over here. I am about to start the XC portion of IFR training, I am about 18 hours in overall, got my PPL in 4/2015.

Anyway, these mistakes we make without our CFIs are excellent learning experiences... and confidence boosters. While we may screw up, we learn we are able to handle these blips and make appropriate choices to get ourselves safely back on ground

Well said Cajun! :D

Written passed a few weeks ago. I took it a few days before I had planned, just cuz I got sick of wx canceling my flights...went to the FBO and just did it. About half way through, I realized that one of the questions was one of topics I had planned to study more for...but I got it right anyway. An extra few days of studying would have been a waste.

0.3 hrs of hood time left, then my long XC, and finally some dual and solo practice to do. Work and weather been conspiring against me since the new year. Started in early July 2015!
BOOM! Awesome!

Hello all. I'm an american, living in Norway (many years now) who grew up in the Chicago area with a father that was an excellent pilot. He used to have a C-172 at a (now closed) airport called Sky Harbor outside of Deerfield, Il. In my childhood I have many fond memories of him taking me up in the plane for short and long distance. I guess I picked up some rudimentary things, but he never went into a lot of detail. I can always remember how quiet we had to be when he was landing. I always wanted to learn to fly but never had the resources. Many years later (sometime in the 90's) I got to fly with him as an adult and he let me try a few banks, etc. I don't think I was very impressive, but again have always been interested. I'm starting at age 59, and hope I am not too old and slow, but I am determined to go all the way to getting my pilots license, at least VFR.

A few months back I started ground school. I am fluent in norwegian, but this is technical norwegian (Ailerons are called "balanseror", rudders "sideror" etc.) and I thought they had an english equivalent, but turns out no. So I bought the english version of the Handbook of Aeronautical knowledge, and read the norwegian book, and then same thing in english. I've tried first reading english too, then norwegian. Not sure which helps more.
I'm only at the start, I have finished the first few books, covering aeronoutics, and the engine and plane construction. I have a lot of questions, and this site is very helpful. I'm mainly soaking it all in, not posting (this is my first and probably only for a while) but there is a lot of knowledge here and I am very glad I can supplement a little by hanging out here.

My father passed away in 2007, and I really would have loved to have gotten to talk about flying with him, ask him some of the questions I have, I think he would have loved it too. I'm very sure I am not doing this out of anything except I did love flying, and have always been interested in it, just never really thought I too could do it until I realized I finally have resources enough to be able to afford it. I think it is a lot more expensive here as well but it's ok.

Anyway, I am very much enjoying this site. I feel also a huge respect for folks that have gone through the training, and learned to pilot an aircraft safely. It brings me a lot closer in thought, realizing how much my dad knew, how much it takes to learn enough to just be competent, let alone good at this. What he knew and could do, and what most folks here are able to understand and do. I particularly love the attention to detail in procedures (learning from others past mistakes) and while I find it challenging to get a good grasp of some of the concepts, but love just the theory part of it, but I can' t wait to get through this and try flying. Recent thread about crosswinds had me imagining my first solo (sometime in fall I believe I can make) and never coming down because I just keep doing aborted landing attempts :)
Welcome!

There's never any shame in executing a go around. My CFI has been on me to solo more often, so I've gone up twice this week (once just around the pattern and once to another airport). I've made so many mistakes on these solos and learned so much about what I'm unsure of when my CFI isn't at my side... it's been a great learning experience. After I'm back on ground, I shoot him a text, let him know how it went and ask him any questions that came up.

I made a big oops on my last solo, though. Entered the pattern fine, but was immediately given orders to do a left 360. As I came out of it, I came out too tight into the pattern. I was told to extend downwind and that I was 4th in line. Unfortunately, when it was time to turn base, I overshot into the opposing downwind with traffic straight ahead of me at same altitude! :/ He had just come out of a right 360 on the other side and was 5th in line behind me. This happened because I was too tight in the pattern (...and I SUCK at right closed patterns!! ugh). I quickly radioed in my mistake and ATC gently calmed me and told the other traffic I was a student pilot, to confirm visual and to give me room to maneuver. The other pilot was awesome... he quickly moved out of the way and responded with words of encouragement for me. Between ATC calming me and him encouraging me, I was able to quickly regain my confidence and complete my approach safely. It had been a bumpy ride - with mod turbulence (learned the importance of a tightened seatbelt!), plus there was wind shear going on as well, so I was drained when I finally got on the ground. While the experience definitely shook me a bit, I learned a lot from it.

Anyway, these mistakes we make without our CFIs are excellent learning experiences... and confidence boosters. While we may screw up, we learn we are able to handle these blips and make appropriate choices to get ourselves safely back on ground. It sounds like you are doing great, GB! :)

LongRoadBob - Welcome!! Norway is a beautiful country... I'm jealous of the views you will see while flying! I'm sure your father would love knowing that you are interested in learning. Best of luck to you :)

That does sound a little scary, and yes I too am learning to dislike the right traffic. It's just so different and much harder to stay in tune with the visual references on the ground. I'm flying with a G1000 glass panel, so I've found bugging the runway heading helps me a lot. Then I don't have to have eyes on the runway to know I'm directly parallel or 90 degrees off for base.

Well I had my best day of training today. It was so much fun and I really felt in control from beginning to end. This is the second flight where my CFI has let me run radios from beginning to end and I'm getting much more comfortable with them. I still forget the proper phrasings on occasion for the Class C space, so I find myself role playing the comms to my CFI before I broadcast and for the most part I'm getting it first time.
Todays flight we started out with some slow flight maneuvering and then power off and on stalls. (I just love doing power on stalls for some reason)
We then simulated several G1000 system failures such as Alt2 failing, Alt1 failing, AHRS failing, etc and went through the appropriate checklists. We simulated a couple engine out emergencies and established Vg and glide to the nearest airport. We made the first one with plenty of altitude to spare and the second we didn't have a chance so we simulated a CAPS pull (I'm training in a Cirrus).
We then went to a smaller uncontrolled airport and did 12 landings. I really felt in control today and even had a few total greasers that left me smiling ear to ear. We did a couple with 50% flaps and even a couple with 0% flaps. Those felt really fast, but they were still very fun. Ironically I landed smoother with no flaps than with full. hah
This was my first radio experience with CTAF, so I kept forgetting to say the airport name at the end of my communications, but after about the 5th or 6th time I started remembering. I also jacked up my 45 degree downwind entry because I went in too close to the runway. It was still technically within the pattern, but more like 3/4 of a mile off the runway vs. 1 to 1.5 miles which I was aiming for.
Here's the GPS from today's flight. I got in 2.7 hrs. and 13 takeoffs and landings (2 full stop)
https://www.cloudahoy.com/debrief/?key=u3b8djnJYnWY

Well I had my best day of training today. It was so much fun and I really felt in control from beginning to end. This is the second flight where my CFI has let me run radios from beginning to end and I'm getting much more comfortable with them. I still forget the proper phrasings on occasion for the Class C space, so I find myself role playing the comms to my CFI before I broadcast and for the most part I'm getting it first time.
Todays flight we started out with some slow flight maneuvering and then power off and on stalls. (I just love doing power on stalls for some reason)
We then simulated several G1000 system failures such as Alt2 failing, Alt1 failing, AHRS failing, etc and went through the appropriate checklists. We simulated a couple engine out emergencies and established Vg and glide to the nearest airport. We made the first one with plenty of altitude to spare and the second we didn't have a chance so we simulated a CAPS pull (I'm training in a Cirrus).
We then went to a smaller uncontrolled airport and did 12 landings. I really felt in control today and even had a few total greasers that left me smiling ear to ear. We did a couple with 50% flaps and even a couple with 0% flaps. Those felt really fast, but they were still very fun. Ironically I landed smoother with no flaps than with full. hah
This was my first radio experience with CTAF, so I kept forgetting to say the airport name at the end of my communications, but after about the 5th or 6th time I started remembering. I also jacked up my 45 degree downwind entry because I went in too close to the runway. It was still technically within the pattern, but more like 3/4 of a mile off the runway vs. 1 to 1.5 miles which I was aiming for.
Here's the GPS from today's flight. I got in 2.7 hrs. and 13 takeoffs and landings (2 full stop)
https://www.cloudahoy.com/debrief/?key=u3b8djnJYnWY
Awesome! actually we must be in about the same place training wise, i just did pretty much the exact lesson.

Got 1.5hrs in the air today. did well on emergencies, steep turns, ground reference and slow flight.

Did two landings. GREASED the first one (long final coming in direct), did a sorta OK 3 point landing on the second. both were pretty passable and very gentle though, so I'll take them. going again sunday and hope to solo, but don't want to get my hopes up.

I did have about 5 kts of extra speed on the first one, but i just held it in ground affect and let it settle. it felt good

Did two landings. GREASED the first one (long final coming in direct), did a sorta OK 3 point landing on the second. both were pretty passable and very gentle though, so I'll take them. going again sunday and hope to solo, but don't want to get my hopes up.

Don't get disappointed if you don't... it sounds like your landings are getting much better now, so your solo day is likely coming very soon! :)

That does sound a little scary, and yes I too am learning to dislike the right traffic. It's just so different and much harder to stay in tune with the visual references on the ground. I'm flying with a G1000 glass panel, so I've found bugging the runway heading helps me a lot. Then I don't have to have eyes on the runway to know I'm directly parallel or 90 degrees off for base.

My CFI taught me how to better use my instruments in right traffic to keep myself in line. It's helped a lot, but I still hate right traffic!

My CFI taught me how to better use my instruments in right traffic to keep myself in line. It's helped a lot, but I still hate right traffic!

Morning Cajun! Some airports have a mandatory right traffic pattern, like my home airport. With some experience not a big deal. You'll eventually be ok with RT! ;)

42 hours for me just passed my check ride a couple weeks ago. At 41 I am already studying for my Ifr ticket as it's been a long time since I have had to study so much. Been a lurker here for a while and just like reading opinions. Now I'm in the market for a plane for my wife and I.

Fly safe

Welcome LongRoadBob! I hope 59 is not too old! I turn 49 next month and hope I have at least 10 years of flying left, if not more!

Got 1.5hrs in the air today. did well on emergencies, steep turns, ground reference and slow flight.

I did have about 5 kts of extra speed on the first one, but i just held it in ground affect and let it settle. it felt good

I've had a few of those floaters and it still feels really good to just hold them until they settle down to the runway. I like to think of it as extra practice holding the center line. ;)

42 hours for me just passed my check ride a couple weeks ago. At 41 I am already studying for my Ifr ticket as it's been a long time since I have had to study so much. Been a lurker here for a while and just like reading opinions. Now I'm in the market for a plane for my wife and I.

Fly safe

Congratulations. I can't wait until I get to that point. Seems like forever, but every flight I take I know I'm closer to that day.

I started a small note book for ground instruction when I started training, and used it to "journal" my flights to help reinforce what I learned (some memorable fact about the flight and the specific things we did on the flight and then the ground debrief).

Now with the solos, I've still kept my journal going, but it's now notes on what I did wrong or would like to improve upon or want to ask my instructor or look-up/research.

Did my solo xc today. Interesting day for me as the wind was erratic and had landings with wind speeds from 10 at first airport to 15 at second to calm at the third. First two landings were first solos at a towered airport and the second one of them was at an airport I haven't been to before. Headwind on the final leg dropped my ground speed down to 62 mph at one point... I watched cars below pass me. (I really wasn't trying to get everything out of it that I could)

Ended the day with 27 hours under my belt. CFI said this morning that it won't be long now and I will have everything done. I told him that at some point he has got to teach me how to fly!

Morning Cajun! Some airports have a mandatory right traffic pattern, like my home airport. With some experience not a big deal. You'll eventually be ok with RT! ;)

Mark - have my check ride tomorrow to dos patterns at all the airports in the area just for practice. That right hand pattern is a fun one!! There were bunch of people sitting in chairs watching all the traffic today. At one point we had 5 in the pattern plus 2 choppers inbound. We decided it was enough and headed home

Back