So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Finally getting started next week after taking a discovery flight last year. First lesson is scheduled for next Sunday.

Finally getting started next week after taking a discovery flight last year. First lesson is scheduled for next Sunday.

You will love it!! Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second solo today, did 5 T&G's after three with my CFI to make sure I wasn't rusty after two weeks.
He said they were all about as smooth as could be. Winds were about 12 from 150, gusts to 20, I used runway 17. The last couple of lessons I've gained a lot of confidence in my ability to feel and handle the aircraft.

Checked my book, 17 hours, we're talking about doing XC's as soon as it cools off some. I can't blame my 75 year old CFI for not wanting to get too hot. Good news, the cool weather should only be a couple weeks away, October first is when I break out my hoodies.

Solo'd today.

Congratulations Mike!

How about some details...how did you feel before, and what was your general assessment? I hope you got it on film. If so please share.

Keep up the good work.

Second solo today, did 5 T&G's after three with my CFI to make sure I wasn't rusty after two weeks.
He said they were all about as smooth as could be. Winds were about 12 from 150, gusts to 20, I used runway 17. The last couple of lessons I've gained a lot of confidence in my ability to feel and handle the aircraft.

Checked my book, 17 hours, we're talking about doing XC's as soon as it cools off some. I can't blame my 75 year old CFI for not wanting to get too hot. Good news, the cool weather should only be a couple weeks away, October first is when I break out my hoodies.

The heat is not about comfort, its about Density Altitude. You should learn about it before much longer.

The heat is not about comfort, its about Density Altitude. You should learn about it before much longer.

It could also be just because it's hot. In my area it's 100+ and I've not seen it higher than 3500... but the 100 on preflight, runup and take off make it almost unbearable.

First flight, entirely on my own. No CFI involvement at all. Went great.

Biggest advantage of flying without the CFI: I can put my charts and checklist on the seat next to me. Very convenient.

Yeah, once you start flying solo - any time with the CFI is "crowded" :)

Biggest advantage of flying without the CFI: I can put my charts and checklist on the seat next to me. Very convenient.

That was probably my favorite part of flying cross-country solo!

Also, I found I generally had much better awareness, not having some guy distracting me all the time ;)

Also, I found I generally had much better awareness, not having some guy distracting me all the time ;)

This VERY true. Perhaps this is my ego speaking, but I think I fly better and more precisely with out the CFI.

Anybody else find this to be true?

This VERY true. Perhaps this is my ego speaking, but I think I fly better and more precisely with out the CFI.

I just solo'd on the 13th, and did my 2nd yesterday.... i agree, but really can't pinpoint WHY it feels that way.

well... yeah.... I'm sure that factors into it!

That was probably my favorite part of flying cross-country solo!

Saturday when I soloed, my instructor made two laps with me and my landings pretty much sucked, to the point I wouldn't have been surprised if he had said never mind soloing today. Anyway, he hopped out and I was laser focused and made three of my best landings. I am convinced it is the distraction. I am also convinced that it is designed to be so.

Saturday when I soloed, my instructor made two laps with me and my landings pretty much sucked, to the point I wouldn't have been surprised if he had said never mind soloing today. Anyway, he hopped out and I was laser focused and made three of my best landings. I am convinced it is the distraction. I am also convinced that it is designed to be so.

Yup. Just wait until you have other passengers.

Define "precise" and we'll know. :)

Look up the precision requirements for the Private, Commercial, and ATP in their respective locations, and then tell us if you're beating all of them. ;)

There's always a higher standard of "precise". As Doc Bruce's line goes, "Don't accept minimum standards." Of yourself.

There are a few people on this board who have more than one witness that they fly like the needles are painted in place wherever they want them to be.

That's the standard for precision. Not the book numbers for the check ride. The book numbers for the check ride are minimums. Not the goal. ;)

Master the airship. If you can hold altitude within +-50', challenge yourself to do +-25', then +-10', then +-0. Same with heading and speed. Landing spot. Bank angle. Descent rate.

Always something to strive for.

Just passed the checkride.
I'm not a student anymore, now I know everything there is to know about flying.

Kidding, definitely just a license to learn (but don't tell that to passengers) :D

Just passed the checkride.
I'm not a student anymore, now I know everything there is to know about flying.

Kidding, definitely just a license to learn (but don't tell that to passengers) :D

Now you really get to scare yourself. No more apron strings...no more hand holding...

Just started lessens working on my PPL about 5 hour so far. I work a 28 and 14 trying to fly everyday I am home. Done with most of basic maneuvers and will start pattern work when I get home this time around. :D

Wow! What a fun day today and I never left the pattern! First time out solos since taking almost 2 months off between life, tstorms and 100hr maintenance. I was able to t/o, fly and land when coming back without scaring myself but pts maneuvers were horrible. Same with 2nd flight. Went up yesterday with another CFI and warned him I was rusty. Well I nailed everything. Came back and did some landings which he gave me some pointers on the dial in for pts. Today I had the airport to myself. Calm with clouds starting to appear at 1500' when I was done with preflight. After a couple loops around the pattern it lifted to at least 1700'. It was a good time just trying to get the landings where I wanted them not just how smooth I wanted them. Finally hit 2 short field and 2 slip w/o flaps exactly where I wanted them and called it a day. Doing a little xc this week to get back on the radio and planning. A little more prep for the pts and I'll be officially ready. Crap!

First lesson in the books.

Blogged about it here

Almost thought we wouldn't make it up, as the latest TAF before when I woke up in the morning was not encouraging, but by the time I was on the road, the METAR for the KPAE which is 8 miles away from S43 was indicating much higher ceilings.

We had to dodge the lowest scattered layer, but were able to maneuver nicely above that layer and below the broken layer above. Outside horizon reference was pretty much unusable due to all the layers, so had to rely on the the attitude indicator.

Now on to scheduling the next few lessons, and picking out an instructor, since this first lesson was with one of the chief instructors.

Well 44 years old started my training a little over a year ago. Originally was flying the sky catcher and was going for the light sport license. Well I took about 6 months off just to get through the new year and holidays without stressing out the wife with the cost of flying as well as holiday stuff :). Long story short had my requirements done for the light sport but when I came back to finish up the plane was no longer available and there are no other light sports local ( Bakersfield Ca). So what to do? Took some time, found and purchased a 66 Cessna 150f and continued on. Have all the flight requirements done now for the GA ticket, passed my written and hope to take my Practical next month. Really looking forward to taking the wife up! So far I have about 70 hours, but a lot of that is just recreational fun since I bought the 150. Blessings, James
P.S had I known then what I know now, I would have purchased the 150 right from the get go! Would have saved a lot of time and money!

47 hours here. I've completed everything except the 150 mile XC and the nighttime XC with my CFI. We're going to try and knock that out this week. Checkride is coming up soon!

Well 44 years old started my training a little over a year ago...
Sounds like you have a good plan. Enjoy it! There's no rush through the lessons; you're still flying! Stay cool out there :)

Completed my PPL a little over a year ago at 42hrs and a Tailwheel endorsement.

I have about 60hrs logged in 172's, Citabria's, Champs, a stearman and a Jabiru J230.
Right now I'm struggling to get my act together for my instrument. Seems like every time I think I'm ready to start the rating something comes along and gobbles up my flying money...the struggle :mad2:

I haven't gotten to the point where I'm willing to go into debt for the training...who knows perhaps one day I'll suck it up and go ATP to get the job done right.

Had my first ground lesson for CFI training with my dad and talked about aerodynamics. The hardest part was drawing an airfoil! Pics to come.

Was unable to fly for about 3 weeks do to vacation, and other scheduling issues. Got up yesterday for and airport tour in preparation for my solo long xc. Started at Robbinsville, NJ (N87) to Trenton (KTTN) to Central Jersey (47N) to Sky Manor (N40) to Allentown (ABE) to Pennridge (CKZ) then finally back to Robbinsville (N87). In the plane for just short of 3 hours, with the CFI intentionally taking me to runways where we would see some crosswinds. Ended up doing 7 take off and landings. After 3 weeks off my landing were flat the first few stops, but were good again by then end. With the navigation he just basically said use the sectional and get my there, and we did each added stop more or less on the fly. CFI felt that my navigation was great, my takeoffs (we did soft and sort takeoff mixed in) were really good, but landings needed some work but seemed fixed by the end. It was also my first encounter with Class C airspace, and the radio work went well.

I told him I just wanted to get up for some solo practice work next week, and he had no issue with that. Then he basically said all I have left is long solo xc, night xc, a little hood work, and practicing for check ride. He felt confident enough that I can just plan and do my XC (with his review) on my own, but said if I wanted him to fly it with my first, that is also an option. I have already done my initial solo xc.

Getting close.

Doing some CFI training tomorrow in the right seat. We will be doing the flur fundamentals of flying and maybe some stalls and slow flight.

Been a very, very busy year. I've been up a few times, but didn't get any hours logged. 3 hours in a Cessna 210 right seat, 3 hours in a Pilatus PC-12 right seat, and a few hours in a 172 right seat.

However, my passenger time is up this year. For 2014 I'm at 150,000 miles with Lufthansa, and a lot with others including United, Air New Zealand, Cathay Pacific, Aeroflot, S7, Swiss, Air India, Emirates, Saudia, Thai, Quantas, Ukranian, and Air Berlin. I have this habit of saving my stubs for six months, taking a photo, and throwing them out. Attached is January 2014-June 2014.
ef8779f155e048744f37b51675c0ca21.jpg

Been a very, very busy year. I've been up a few times, but didn't get any hours logged. 3 hours in a Cessna 210 right seat, 3 hours in a Pilatus PC-12 right seat, and a few hours in a 172 right seat.

However, my passenger time is up this year. For 2014 I'm at 150,000 miles with Lufthansa, and a lot with others including United, Air New Zealand, Cathay Pacific, Aeroflot, S7, Swiss, Air India, Emirates, Saudia, Thai, Quantas, Ukranian, and Air Berlin. I have this habit of saving my stubs for six months, taking a photo, and throwing them out. Attached is January 2014-June 2014.
ef8779f155e048744f37b51675c0ca21.jpg
I thought that was a picture of all the checks and credit cards I've used to pay for lessons.

Went up for another CFI flight lesson. The right seat is getting more comfortable for me. My dad and I worked on some stalls, slow flight, and did a low approach and hovered over the runway just to get the sight picture from the right seat. Overall a great lesson and really fun. Now if I can just get my CFI written done, I'll really be cookin!

good luck homes!

Thanks brother! I can file IFR! I had to push back the checkride due to mountain obs. Slept all of maybe 3 hours. Was supposed to meet at 7am, but ceilings were low with fog this morning. Ended up changing to 2pm. Oral was about 2 hours and focused heavily on WX, icing, currency, lost comms and general planning knowledge and regulations. Flying part was about 1 1/2 hours. Had to file a flight plan, open it up on my own. Do all the talking and coordination with ATC. Did an ILS going missed to a hold, RNAV missed to a hold and partial panel VOR to a circling approach, the DPE then wanted to redo most PPL stuff again for some reason, so had me doing stalls, steep turns and crap that wasn't part of the IR PTS, but whatever. In all, it was a very exhausting day and my head is tired. There is alot going on and I wanted to put duct take over his mouth, he really was doing his best to try and distract me.

Beer is in hand now. ;)

Thanks brother! I can file IFR! I had to push back the checkride due to mountain obs. Slept all of maybe 3 hours. Was supposed to meet at 7am, but ceilings were low with fog this morning. Ended up changing to 2pm. Oral was about 2 hours and focused heavily on WX, icing, currency, lost comms and general planning knowledge and regulations. Flying part was about 1 1/2 hours. Had to file a flight plan, open it up on my own. Do all the talking and coordination with ATC. Did an ILS going missed to a hold, RNAV missed to a hold and partial panel VOR to a circling approach, the DPE then wanted to redo most PPL stuff again for some reason, so had me doing stalls, steep turns and crap that wasn't part of the IR PTS, but whatever. In all, it was a very exhausting day and my head is tired. There is alot going on and I wanted to put duct take over his mouth, he really was doing his best to try and distract me.

Beer is in hand now. ;)
Congrats! I'm sure it was a tough ride but you made it.

Back