So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Have my PPL and IR, still drinking from the firehose of knowledge and not going to give up on the Commercial.

Ten months of PPL pursuit came to a close yesterday when I completed my check ride. I failed the running landing test on my original check ride in mid April, so one maneuver has been looming over my head ever since. Our regional DPE has a pretty hectic schedule and only makes it down this way when he can. It only took about 15 minutes to complete the landing and - boom!! One more helicopter pilot for Gwinnett County Georgia!!

PPL. Completed my 2nd solo yesterday afternoon (at 16hrs). 1st Solo was on Monday. One more short dual and I'm cut loose to the practice area solo.

I started my quest for my PPL last August training in a Cherokee 140. I was unable to fly much due to the horrible Indiana winter. The weather is nice once again and I have been getting as much in as I can over the last few months.

I finally went on my first solo flight (just shy of 20 hours) on 5-17-14 and it was an unforgettable experience! That was an extreme confidence booster and made me realize I must not be doing all that bad. (I was really beating myself up on my not so perfect landing flares)

I have been signed off for solo on two neighboring airports.. one towered and one non-towered.. It's an awesome feeling even if they are only 15-20 miles away !

I have a few more hours of solo time in now and looking forward to my first cross-country this Saturday. I feel like my PPL is not to far ahead and am very motivated at this point! :D

The XC will be another level over 10 minutes to another airport and flying patterns. The pre-flight planning is pretty extensive and there's a ton to remember how to do.

Once in the air there's so much to juggle trying to do dead reckoning, especially if it's a bumpy day and the plane is hard to keep on track.

I felt like a pro my first few solos until the XC came and I realized how much more I've still got to learn. Don't let it kill your confidence if you don't nail it.

Getting ready for my mock checkride this coming Saturday. Not going to lie, I'm a little worried about it. I met the instructor and I think I'll learn a lot from him. But he straight-up told me that he'll be treating it as an actual checkride and will be harsher than the DPE probably will be (that way the actual checkride will seem easy by comparison).

The flight planning portion I'm not as nervous about as my planning on my previous cross-country flights was good. The oral portion has me nervous though. I'm pretty good about knowing material, but recalling it at will and putting it into the required words I struggle with.

For the practical, I imagine there will be some struggles there; my lesson this past weekend was the first in a while (feels like forever) where I've performed steep turns, ground refs, slow flight, & stalls. I'm not anticipating it, but I won't be surprised if we have to review steep turns a bit as I was having issues holding constant altitude during the manuever my last lesson. Rest of the manuevers should be ok. My altitude control in general has been a little off the past couple of times up with my instructor, I just can't seem to get the aircraft settled at altitude. In the past it hasn't been much of an issue, so hoping I can get it settled down once I'm up there.

Well, the day is here.

I passed my check ride. I am now a Private Pilot!

It's still feeling all magical and surreal right now.

Way to go Timmer! Today makes a week for me - still can't believe I got it done! Somehow, my first flight as a licensed pilot is going to feel different. I think I'll take a spin around the lake this weekend. Enjoy!

Tony

Thanks! I can't wait for my first flight as a pilot. I think I'll go to Hemet on Friday morning with my father for breakfast, since it's a nice flight, not too long, and I've been there before, just not with someone else (who is also a pilot so won't be too distracting).

I think I went for a record in lessons on calendar time. My first lesson in my book is in '81, my check ride in '14 :)

Congrats you guys! Awesome feeling getting that done. Now go fly your a$$es off. :)

Way to go Timmer! Today makes a week for me - still can't believe I got it done! Somehow, my first flight as a licensed pilot is going to feel different. I think I'll take a spin around the lake this weekend. Enjoy!

Tony

And congrats to you too Tony! Way to go! :cheers:

CFI student here... Dang it's been a long slog. 9 mo's after passing my Commercial I have yet to do the 2-nd CFI written (passed FOI written in Dec). On the bright side, got 100 hours right-seat PIC time, I've been flying from the right seat after getting my commercial, unless I'm solo, which is rare. Right seat now feels more natural than the left.

I think you should fly to TOA or LGB - take me for a RIDE :)

Congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you should fly to TOA or LGB - take me for a RIDE :)

Congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hah. I'll slowly be enlarging my comfort zone on trips. I'm flying to HMT for my first post-cert flight on Friday. Chino looks like a nice place to go with a decent restaurant and a museum sometime later. I figure, I'll just expand my distance and difficulties slowly. It should be fun :)

Hah. I'll slowly be enlarging my comfort zone on trips. I'm flying to HMT for my first post-cert flight on Friday. Chino looks like a nice place to go with a decent restaurant and a museum sometime later. I figure, I'll just expand my distance and difficulties slowly. It should be fun :)

Chino.....Flo's!!!!:yes:

Excellent biscuits and gravy!

Part of my big XC (which I haven't done yet) came into CNO from down your direction (RNM), it went RNM to F70 to DEEJAY then up into CNO. Need to talk to ONT coming into Chino unless you want to fly <2200' as their Charlie is 2700'

Excellent biscuits and gravy!

Part of my big XC (which I haven't done yet) came into CNO from down your direction (RNM), it went RNM to F70 to DEEJAY then up into CNO. Need to talk to ONT coming into Chino unless you want to fly <2200' as their Charlie is 2700'

I'll pass on the biscuits although I'm sure they're good. I'm allergic to wheat so that's not a good idea if doing anything other than taking a nap afterwards ;)

I'd probably be on Flight Following for that trip anyway. It's amazing the stress it removes when flying around congested airspace.

When are you doing your long x/c? Have you been to RNM yet? It's pretty easy to spot, unlike that tiny little SNA airport at night up your way ;)

Long XC should be later this month, work has been so crazy that I've worked more weekends than not lately (Google "LAX Construction") :)

Been to RNM, went there after CRQ one day with CFI and my lady in the back seat. Very easy to spot. Unlike TOA was on Memorial, landed late in the day with haze and sun in my eyes :(

I'll eat your share of the B&G, nice guy that I am!

Ten months of PPL pursuit came to a close yesterday when I completed my check ride. I failed the running landing test on my original check ride in mid April, so one maneuver has been looming over my head ever since. Our regional DPE has a pretty hectic schedule and only makes it down this way when he can. It only took about 15 minutes to complete the landing and - boom!! One more helicopter pilot for Gwinnett County Georgia!!

Just curious... What is the running landing test?

Long XC should be later this month, work has been so crazy that I've worked more weekends than not lately (Google "LAX Construction") :)

Been to RNM, went there after CRQ one day with CFI and my lady in the back seat. Very easy to spot. Unlike TOA was on Memorial, landed late in the day with haze and sun in my eyes :(

What were your CFI and lady doing in the backseat???? :D

RNM is my landing nemesis. I've never done a decent landing there yet, I don't know why. Keep us posted on your cross country later and I'll hopefully work my way to Long Beach -- that area with LGB and SNA right next to each other looks intense and I know I was pretty stressed at SNA at night due to lack of visibility. It was incredibly fun, though!

I'll eat your share of the B&G, nice guy that I am!

I started my quest last July, and with Nov-Feb off due to weather and money. Well, I can no longer say I'm a student pilot (always learning and a student in a way though). Now I can say I'm a Private pilot, working on his IFR. I passed my check ride last Friday, and I am still on a high from it. :yes::D:yes::D:yes::D

I started my quest last July, and with Nov-Feb off due to weather and money. Well, I can no longer say I'm a student pilot (always learning and a student in a way though). Now I can say I'm a Private pilot, working on his IFR. I passed my check ride last Friday, and I am still on a high from it. :yes::D:yes::D:yes::D

You pretty much mirrored my training schedule, except I won't be working on IR for a while. Congratulations! :)

I did my first flight as PIC with a passenger today! I flew from KMYF to KHMT which I did as my first solo-x/c as a student. I figure adding just one or two new variables at a time is good so the first flight was to a known place but with a passenger -- and a passenger who is a pilot, also.

Great flight. Some fun marine layer and TFR dodging and diversions -- always something new on every flight. The marine layer leaving KMYF turned out to linger over KCRQ so I opted for plan B once I hit the coast and it was apparent that continuing that way would be flying on top of a solid blanket of clouds, which was a 180 and head inland over Ramona and then up north.

On the way back we were able to get under the clouds at 1,200' for a beautiful ten minutes flying along the coast and under, 500' of course, the layer to La Jolla. Love it!

PS Am I still allowed to post in this thread? I still feel like a student ;)

If they kick you off the thread Timmer, my PM box is always open.

ENVYOUS!

I did my first flight as PIC with a passenger today! I flew from KMYF to KHMT which I did as my first solo-x/c as a student. I figure adding just one or two new variables at a time is good so the first flight was to a known place but with a passenger -- and a passenger who is a pilot, also.

Great flight. Some fun marine layer and TFR dodging and diversions -- always something new on every flight. The marine layer leaving KMYF turned out to linger over KCRQ so I opted for plan B once I hit the coast and it was apparent that continuing that way would be flying on top of a solid blanket of clouds, which was a 180 and head inland over Ramona and then up north.

On the way back we were able to get under the clouds at 1,200' for a beautiful ten minutes flying along the coast and under, 500' of course, the layer to La Jolla. Love it!

Damn, that sounds like fun flying.

Commercial ASEL oral prep with my instructor on Monday and the checkride is scheduled for June 20th!

First time poster. I found this board recently and have been lurking for a few weeks. I'm at about 10 Hrs pre-solo. I did pattern work today and the instructor says I have one more time up and I should be good to solo. I can hit my airspeed and the center line decently enough but am still overcontrolling on the level off and flare. I think I figured it out today on our last landing. It finally felt right.

First time poster. I found this board recently and have been lurking for a few weeks. I'm at about 10 Hrs pre-solo. I did pattern work today and the instructor says I have one more time up and I should be good to solo. I can hit my airspeed and the center line decently enough but am still overcontrolling on the level off and flare. I think I figured it out today on our last landing. It finally felt right.

Welcome and have fun! :)

Commercial ASEL Checkride scheduled June 20th! I'll be going up on Monday because I'm 1.5 short of 250 hours and I'll basically just practice everything that will be on the checkride

Excellent post Timmer!

My first lesson as part of my long delayed reentry into aviation is this Friday. Cannot wait. :D

Soon, I may fly down to your area for a fun flight. I will be flying out of KPOC.

Excellent post Timmer!

My first lesson as part of my long delayed reentry into aviation is this Friday. Cannot wait. :D

Soon, I may fly down to your area for a fun flight. I will be flying out of KPOC.

Very cool. Glad you found a place -- have a great time!

I'll be up in that area on Sunday if the weather cooperates for a Father's Day flight to Chino. I'm sure you'll do some cross-countries my way as part of your lessons.

Started last September and recently passed my private pilot checkride.

My first flight as private pilot will be to the airport (1B6) where I first took an intro flight nearly 19 years ago.

Beyond this, I plan to get checked out in a 172 (my training was done in a varierty of 152s) and build some X-C time in anticipation of starting instrument training.

Commercial ASEL Checkride scheduled June 20th! I'll be going up on Monday because I'm 1.5 short of 250 hours and I'll basically just practice everything that will be on the checkride

Good luck. I was about to schedule comm checkride earlier this year when prop started leaking resulting in prop overhaul. Now its annual time. Hope to be done by end of summer.

What's the plan after the commercial?

Good Luck!!!
Thanks!

Good luck. I was about to schedule comm checkride earlier this year when prop started leaking resulting in prop overhaul. Now its annual time. Hope to be done by end of summer.

What's the plan after the commercial?
Next, I'm trying to look for a job doing aerial photos, air tours, or similar and maybe build some time up and finally get paid to fly! In August or September I'll start my CFI training and hope to be done by Spring semester next year so I can flight instruct my last semester of college

Back