So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Got my PPL 14 months ago, still consider myself a student pilot!

I feel like a lot of pressure has been lifted off of me and now I can really start to learn. Over the last 12 months I have felt like everything I read and learned in the plane I had to remember because I might need it for my test. I already feel more relaxed and look forward to my next flight with my CFI tomorrow.

I do have a question...after tomorrows flight, what do I put in my log book. He is coming with me because there are a few things I want to get better at. Does he still need to sign my book or do I sign it as PIC?

thanks

When I take a CFI I put the time in the PIC column as well as the flight training recieved column.

Weather has been crap here in DC.

Finally got a clear day today but 30knot gusts grounded me again.

Weather has been crap here in DC.

Finally got a clear day today but 30knot gusts grounded me again.

Don't worry, even here in sunny Northern California (in Spring no less), we currently got thunder storms and heavy rains rolling through. Haven't flown in a couple weeks.

Don't worry, even here in sunny Northern California (in Spring no less), we currently got thunder storms and heavy rains rolling through. Haven't flown in a couple weeks.

Yeah it's been maddening lately. It only ever seems to rain on the weekends! :dunno:

Went to ATL with my dad so he could get recurrent on 767-400. They did a CAT I ILS to mins, VOR app to mins, CAT III ILS with autoland, and an engine fialure on takeoff, climb out and vectors back for an ILS all done at SFO on 28R. The instructor was super cool and friendly and stayed after the session to let me fly and shoot some approaches and do some turns, climbs, descents. It was a nice break from training but I'll be going up on Thursday for some more commercial maneuvers
IMAG0454_zpsf5bd21e0.jpg

1.4 hours today (10.9 hours total).

Forward slips to landing, go arounds, and then pattern work. Finally got some good weather. One go around was for real because someone decided to taxi as slow as possible to the end of the runway before turning off (after flying his base and final so far from the runway we would of turned base in front of him had I not seen him). Good practice.

Solo reviews the next few lessons.

Last edited:
FINALLY doing my long xc tomorrow. Supposed to do LRO to FLO to MNI to OGB back to LRO. Hope the weather is as nice as it has been the last 2 days.

Yeah it's been maddening lately. It only ever seems to rain on the weekends! :dunno:

Yep! The weather gods messing with us. It's okay though, I can live with it since we have fantastic flying weather about 10 months out of the year :D:yes:

Just got back from my long xc. Pretty much uneventful. Took a while to relax. My first leg I was edgy. Atc was busy and it had been about 2 weeks since I flew so it took a while to get in the groove. Had 3 of my better landings.

Just got back from my long xc. Pretty much uneventful. Took a while to relax. My first leg I was edgy. Atc was busy and it had been about 2 weeks since I flew so it took a while to get in the groove. Had 3 of my better landings.

Very cool. If the weather holds, I'll start my cross countries next week. I've had two weeks off due to weather and CFI being on travel this week. I can't wait to start going places :)

Just completed my solo time for ppl, currently at 45 hours, and now all I have to do is get ready for the written, oral and check ride, I plan to fly a few times before the check ride and that should be it :).

Go

I am currently working on my working on my commercial single engine add on as well as my CFI single add on (already have my MEI and CFII). Both check-rides are on Friday for my add ons and then I am done for a while as a student.

I am currently working on my working on my commercial single engine add on as well as my CFI single add on (already have my MEI and CFII). Both check-rides are on Friday for my add ons and then I am done for a while as a student.

Welcome to POA!

Newbie here...Going after my PPL. 7 months in...13.2 hrs..the wind is making me crazy

Off to do a practice run for my night XC later today, TOA to SBA. According to the pencil marks on the sectional and Garmin Pilot I will have a good time :)

Newbie here...Going after my PPL. 7 months in...13.2 hrs..the wind is making me crazy

Off to the airport for my lesson in an hour. Wind is west/18, gusts to 25. My instructor tells me it's good experience, but I am not happy with the wind yet.

I got back in the air today after a few weeks off, one week was weather related cancellations and then my instructor is at Sun-n-Fun till tomorrow. I went up with a another instructor today just to work some more on basic maneuvers and stalls and such. First smooth flight I've had since I started training....

Started my work on landings with some touch and goes today, which felt awesome.

Today was a FUN day to fly for me...as soon as we were airborne I didn't have the oh-****-we're-airborne! feeling that I've had previously, today it was whoohoo-I'm-flying-again! feeling. Also, saw a Sea Fury take off ahead of us, my first time seeing something like that. I and had wheels on all three runways here, took off on 13, T&G on 17L and then one on 17R before calling it a day.

Welcome to POA!

Thank you!

I am proud of myself, I passed my last two checkrides on Friday. I start flying with zero time on 10/7/2013. Since then I got my PPL ASEL and my instrument rating (on the same day), my AMEL add on, my commercial AMEL, commercial ASEL, my MEI, CFII, and CFI ASEL. I need a vacation.

Thank you!

I am proud of myself, I passed my last two checkrides on Friday. I start flying with zero time on 10/7/2013. Since then I got my PPL ASEL and my instrument rating (on the same day), my AMEL add on, my commercial AMEL, commercial ASEL, my MEI, CFII, and CFI ASEL. I need a vacation.

Nice going Baldy. Congratulations. I assume you were flying at least 4 times a week?

Latest progress. I landed at my first class C airport, KBDL today. Followed it up with a class D, KBAF, then onto a small local airport, 7B9 for some short field practice. It was all part of a final prep test my instructor came up with before endorsing me for solo cross country since it involved a lot of radio time and workload in a short period of time. Everything went great and I got the endorsement. Now on to some solos to KFIT, KPOU, and a few others. I also have my first night lesson planned for this week.

Thank you!

Wowww how'd u do ppl and instrument in same day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Thats crazy.. How many hours do you have for that 6 months?

Did a run from Torrance to Santa Barbara late Saturday (plan to use that for my night XC). A wee bit of wind :)

Had a good time, but bounced the Tobago around. Nice coming back down the coast at night.

Starting to look at my upcoming Solo work. Have a plan for most of it, anyone in the Southern California area have any "fun" recommendations for destinations > 50nm from KTOA (Torrance) (need 5 hrs worth of that). One of the trips will be KCRQ (love that trip), but thought I'd see if anyone had any other recommendations other than "draw a circle" :)

Hi Jeff,

I fly out of MYF but am just getting to the cross-country stage. In fact, I just did the Emergency Procedures lesson yesterday and my first cross-country will be tomorrow to Hemet (HMT) and, if the weather remains nice, a night flight to SNA Wednesday.

I have only flown to airports nearby MYF: Ramona, Brown and a landing at Oceanside and Fallbrook. My long cross country most likely will be to Palm Springs.

This week looks like a great week for flying, as far as weather goes.

Any nice flight recommendations up your way?

Timmer

Been to Ramona, nice little field. Have done KTOA-KCRQ-KRMN and back a few times (will be my 150nm XC when the time comes). Looking at a loop through French Camp on AOPA right now :)

From Montgomery coming my direction? Along the coast you get great scenery, grab flight following across SNA's Bravo and Torrance is good. Long Beach is also good. Catalina if there's no wind (approach gets funky sometimes). Several good ways to cross my office Bravo (LAX) if you want to go further north, like Oxnard or Camarillo

Nice going Baldy. Congratulations. I assume you were flying at least 4 times a week?

Thank you. Most weeks I was flying every day but averaged out it was about 4-5 days a week over the past six months.

Wowww how'd u do ppl and instrument in same day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a very long day, I did two full orals and two full flights with the DPE. I don't recommend it but it is possible.

Timmer

Been to Ramona, nice little field. Have done KTOA-KCRQ-KRMN and back a few times (will be my 150nm XC when the time comes). Looking at a loop through French Camp on AOPA right now :)

From Montgomery coming my direction? Along the coast you get great scenery, grab flight following across SNA's Bravo and Torrance is good. Long Beach is also good. Catalina if there's no wind (approach gets funky sometimes). Several good ways to cross my office Bravo (LAX) if you want to go further north, like Oxnard or Camarillo

Those all sound good. I've found Ramona to have some fun gusty winds at times, even when it's calm everywhere else in San Diego. I can't wait to do some more exploring, especially along the coast -- always beautiful flying there.

Wednesday will be fun with my first work with a Charlie airport and airspace. I've only transitioned through San Diego Bravo once and it was painless except for rattling off nonsense half of the time on the radio -- the flying was easy, though :)

I am seeking opinions on flight schools. I am currently looking at ATP flight school, does anyone know anything about this school or recommend any other flight schools? I do not have any flight time, I will be starting off as a new pilot.

Back