So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

I got in my second solo flight today. It was beautiful.

Clear, blue skies minus some low-level haze around the mountains. Gusty winds, giving me some great cross-wind practice on each landing, including one landing that tested my left and right quartering crosswind skills on the same landing.

I had a lot of fun. I'm feeling much more relaxed on the radio, although those touch-and-goes with gusty winds definitely kept me on edge for much of the time.

This is a strange and wonderful hobby I've gotten myself into ;)

80 landings. That is what I was told and it holds very true for some odd reason. I'm around 100 now and a good 8-10 crosswind doesn't bother me me any longer. Am I paying close attention? You bet. But I no long white knuckle the yoke.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

And congrats to you atl falcons! Jealous.

80 landings. That is what I was told and it holds very true for some odd reason. I'm around 100 now and a good 8-10 crosswind doesn't bother me me any longer. Am I paying close attention? You bet. But I no long white knuckle the yoke.

Just checked mine... 152 landings! :yikes:

It took me a lot until I was able to solo. The three month break I took just as I was ready to solo didn't help with that. I've learned so much though, I can't complain. They've all been educational and memorable :)

I am a student here in Arizona. Just over 13 hours in my logbook. I had to jump through a couple hoops for my classIII medical, but that is a solved item now. It did cause me about two months of downtime though. Since then i ahve tried to fly about two hours a week, and don't feel as rusty now.
I am looking forward to my solo, but a bit nervous too. I hit about 3 of 5 landings decently right now, and the airport usually has crosswinds on some level, and i think that is helpful.
My first post here, tons of helpful knowledge and insight. Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Did turns around a point, and turns over a straight line yesterday. CFI said next bad weather day come in anyway so I can take my pre solo test. So very very close to soloing. Part of me is terrified. Part is excited. I do still have occasional thoughts about why I am acually doing this, and is it worth the risk. Then the wife mentions how much this costs and that kinda compounds that thought. The I go up, and it is just so much fun. Onward I guess.

Just started my training a month ago. Been an A&P for over 18 years. One thing I will say to any young tech is that get your PPL as soon as you can. Don't wait like I did.
Any who, I have 2.3 hrs and my third landing was in 12kt winds gusting to 25. Awesome. Can't wait to go back up.

Finally got the written done. Now on to cross-country flying!

Finally got back in the air yesterday after a 3 week break due to weather. I pretty much took a mental break for at least 2 of the weeks to focus on a few other things that were pressing. I was starting to feel so far removed from flying I was worried about flying yesterday. My CFI and I took a short trip to a local airport we hadn't been to before to knick some rust off. I soloed today to a couple of airports about 20 and 40 miles away. It went really well. I had a lot of fun although I don't remember much of anything about it. Too busy. Now I'm warmed back up enough to try to do my long xc next week. Also have some night flying scheduled

I'm training for my PPL at KVKX in Maryland.

6.5 hours now. Flying about 3 times a week. Today we did ground reference maneuvers and then spent a while flying pattern work with full stop landings and one touch and go.

I've got about 15 landings at this point. Cut the power a little too soon a few times today. Winds were gusty so I had to really work the rudder to hold the centerline. Last time we were out is was so calm it practically landed itself.

Took me two tries for my PPL from 1995-1997 and from 2013-present. Just passed my check ride this afternoon.

Hi all,
My first post here. This site is a great resource that I just discovered over the weekend.

I'm a student pilot. I started training in August 2013. I train at Republic (KFRG) in New York, one of the busiest airports in this area, mostly GA but also many jets and even an occasional big charter (Saw an Air Canada 737 I think when some CA hockey team came to play the NY Islanders). So it's a good experience.

I fly only on Saturdays, so I get in about 2 hours/week. I'm at 34 hours now. I have not solo'd yet, for 2 reason. The main reason is that my landings are so-so. I still need my CFI's help most of the time, not much but a touch. Any advice on landings? My thing is that when I get over the threshold and kill the power the plane starts down and I get scared of smacking nose first so I start flaring when too high. But I'll be good to go with a couple more lessons. The rest of the stuff I'm pretty good at, takeoffs, manuevers are good, radio is good, getting better at keeping altitude/heading, steep turns are ok, ground ref manuevers are ok but haven't done much, etc.

The other reason is that I recently got a letter from the FAA stating that I have to do a medical flight test (SODA) since the vision in one of my eyes is below standards (I have corneal damage so can't correct it) in order to get my 3rd class medical. I was passed by the AME, but then the FAA contacted me and had me send them medical records, do tests, and finally now the SODA. I can see out of the eye, but not clear, kind of cloudy.

I read some very informative posts here about SODA's for vision issues and one poster posted a checklist that included selecting emergency landing fields at a distance/altitude/depth and spotting traffic. Honestly, I'm a little worried about those two because I just recently (2 sessions ago) started emergency procedures training and I don't have a lot of practice knowing what to look for and what's "suitable" for a landing spot. Also, about spotting traffic... at times I'll get an advisory on the radio about "traffic at your 10 o'clock at x miles", and I don't always see it right away. I honestly don't think that makes me unsafe, but it doesn't matter what I think, depends what the FAA examiner thinks. Any advice/comments on these?

Thanks for any advice.

My Commercial training is taking longer than I expected due to weather. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow morning before the storm hits NY!

QUOTE=orange;1418837]Hi all,
My first post here. This site is a great resource that I just discovered over the weekend.

I'm a student pilot. I started training in August 2013. I train at Republic (KFRG) in New York, one of the busiest airports in this area, mostly GA but also many jets and even an occasional big charter (Saw an Air Canada 737 I think when some CA hockey team came to play the NY Islanders). So it's a good experience.

I fly only on Saturdays, so I get in about 2 hours/week. I'm at 34 hours now. I have not solo'd yet, for 2 reason. The main reason is that my landings are so-so. I still need my CFI's help most of the time, not much but a touch. Any advice on landings? My thing is that when I get over the threshold and kill the power the plane starts down and I get scared of smacking nose first so I start flaring when too high. But I'll be good to go with a couple more lessons. The rest of the stuff I'm pretty good at, takeoffs, manuevers are good, radio is good, getting better at keeping altitude/heading, steep turns are ok, ground ref manuevers are ok but haven't done much, etc.

The other reason is that I recently got a letter from the FAA stating that I have to do a medical flight test (SODA) since the vision in one of my eyes is below standards (I have corneal damage so can't correct it) in order to get my 3rd class medical. I was passed by the AME, but then the FAA contacted me and had me send them medical records, do tests, and finally now the SODA. I can see out of the eye, but not clear, kind of cloudy.

I read some very informative posts here about SODA's for vision issues and one poster posted a checklist that included selecting emergency landing fields at a distance/altitude/depth and spotting traffic. Honestly, I'm a little worried about those two because I just recently (2 sessions ago) started emergency procedures training and I don't have a lot of practice knowing what to look for and what's "suitable" for a landing spot. Also, about spotting traffic... at times I'll get an advisory on the radio about "traffic at your 10 o'clock at x miles", and I don't always see it right away. I honestly don't think that makes me unsafe, but it doesn't matter what I think, depends what the FAA examiner thinks. Any advice/comments on these?

Thanks for any advice.[/QUOTE]

Orange, there are a few threads on landings, if u search for them you will get some great advice. I almost quit over it but finally got through it. Keep at it!!

Instructor gave me my 90 day solo endorsement on Saturday :)

Hi all,

Thanks for any advice.
I started training at the very end of Aug out of FRG and passed the checkride in Jan....haven' t flown since though :( Who are you flying with, NFI, Ventura, etc.?

Spotting traffic can be hard in the beginning but you'll get better at it. In the beginning I would start to flare to early as well, eventually you'll get a better grasp at high high you are above the runway and you'll start flaring when you should be.

Hang in there and good luck with the SODA

I have been training for a little over a year. Passed my Written and Oral, my check ride is the 30th. We did the oral on the 16th, but the weather didn't cooperate for the check ride. Feeling ready but anxious.

John

I just began my training March 1 out of KISP on Long Island. I have a grand total of 3.5 hours so far and I usually fly once a week on Saturday mornings.

I actually started flying when I was a senior in high school (35 years ago), but the usual college, marriage, kids, house, work thing prevented me from continuing. Now that the kid and house are paid for, I figured it was time to get back into it. I have always loved flying and airplanes, and I can hardly wait for Saturday mornings.

I will have many questions along the way, and this site looks like a great resource.

I have been training for a little over a year. Passed my Written and Oral, my check ride is the 30th. We did the oral on the 16th, but the weather didn't cooperate for the check ride. Feeling ready but anxious.

John

Looks like we are checkride buddies! Mine is also on the 30th!:cheers:

I've been training for a little over a year, but have only gotten in 30.5 hrs. I didn't fly from late October until early February. I soloed at around 14 hrs and just finished my first dual XC. I started in a C152, but have been using a C172 lately. I'm scheduled to get checked out and signed off in the 172 on Saturday for soloing. Then after a vacation and partaking in Sun-n-Fun, should go into the night XC and solo XCs.

Flew twice today because the weather has sucked all week. Starts raining again tomorrow through the weekend.

Was really windy today so I got some good crosswind practice. Did emergency procedures and nailed the engine failure on downwind. My best landing of the day actually lol. Second flight later in the day was a review chapter. Slow flight, stalls, steep turns, ground reference maneuvers, etc.

9.4 hours in the book in only two weeks and my instructor doesn't think I'll need all 3 pre-solo reviews before soloing, which are what's next on the Gleim curriculum for me. I started a bit ahead of most because of extensive simulator experience and flying with my uncle so my pace has been pretty brisk.

Ground school starts next weekend to prepare me for the written exam. 10 weeks long. Looking forward to it. I may be ready for my check-ride by the time I finish ground school if I keep flying 2-3 times a week.

Last edited:
Studying for the written right now. I seem to find time for lessons but if I sit down with books to study my wife or kids seem to find me and need something. Still trying to get my long xc done, looking like mid-week next week. Lights are being replaced now to knock out night flying next week, too

Going to pre-run (pre-fly :) ) my long XC tomorrow with the instructor.

So was it harder or easier then you expected?

Good question. I remember individual phases and how the first time it seemed so hard, but by the second hour it was already a little easier. Landings, hood work, steep turns...when trying them for the first time it seemed like I could never do it but somehow I learned it and moved on. I don't want to say it was easy because it wasn't, it just took training.

Now I can def say that I made the written test harder than it really was. I stressed over it and didn't need to. 5 or 6 questions in I realized I knew this stuff and was gonna pass.

thanks

Good question. I remember individual phases and how the first time it seemed so hard, but by the second hour it was already a little easier. Landings, hood work, steep turns...when trying them for the first time it seemed like I could never do it but somehow I learned it and moved on. I don't want to say it was easy because it wasn't, it just took training.

Now I can def say that I made the written test harder than it really was. I stressed over it and didn't need to. 5 or 6 questions in I realized I knew this stuff and was gonna pass.

thanks

Congratulations on passing your check ride.

That moment seems light years away for me at this stage. I had a double lesson today out of KISP in windy conditions (15kts with gusts to 25kts). Take off was fine, but below 2000ft, we were really rockin, and rollin. We practiced steep turns, slow flight, power on stalls, and dirty stalls. Landing in these conditions was way beyond my capabilities at this point so he brought us home. Following todays lessons up with a lesson tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

I can only imagine who it feels to finally pass your check ride, but I am determined, and not in any rush to get there.

Frank

Here's a "somewhat related" funny item. Last Saturday, my instructor and I took the "new" plane out (he bought a second TB-10). Usual stuff, out in the Long Beach practice area, stalls, slow flight, yada yada. Then Back to Torrance for some short field landing practice. I had told Milady probably 2 hours or so.....

As I come in for the hard stop landing to end my day (2-1/2 hours into flying), she decides to text me to see what's up, make sure I haven't taken the Tobago swimming. No problem with distraction - phone is in the flight bag on the rear seat.

Funny part - her text tone is "PULL UP PULL UP" recorded voice. Instructor looks at me like "hmm, optional equipment on this Tobago" :) :)

My Commercial training is taking forever! Weather has been bad the past couple of weeks here. Hopefully going to get up tomorrow. On the brighter side, I'm going to ATL next week with my dad and going in the 767-400 Delta sim because he needs his 3 take offs and landings. Should be exciting and he said the captain and instructor said I can get some stick time!

My Commercial training is taking forever! Weather has been bad the past couple of weeks here. Hopefully going to get up tomorrow. On the brighter side, I'm going to ATL next week with my dad and going in the 767-400 Delta sim because he needs his 3 take offs and landings. Should be exciting and he said the captain and instructor said I can get some stick time!

That'd be a blast.

Back