So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Today was THE day for me to solo. No wind, fog burned off just a few minutes after preflight, BUT my normal CFI had something come up last minute so he asked another one to fill in for me. I guess he felt bad since he's had a couple cancellation in the past 2 weeks. So, I knew soloing was out since I'd never flown with this CFI and I really want my regular guy there. Also, they were doing punch list items on the runway work they did a couple weeks ago so the far end of the runway was off limits. So, this guy gave me sort of a mini check ride covering everything I've gone over so far. A couple things I've only done once before, but the CFI seemed extremely pleased with how I did. I did 2 landings, 1 normal and 1 short field. I thought they were avg to maybe slightly better than avg. He said they were beautiful. Later said they were better than his and he needed to get out and practice to get to my level. I offered to sit in the right seat and coach him :D. Hard to believe that landing practice didn't start until about 15 hours ago and didn't click until about 5 hours ago. Am I the only one that enjoys soft field take offs?

Today was THE day for me to solo. No wind, fog burned off just a few minutes after preflight, BUT my normal CFI had something come up last minute so he asked another one to fill in for me. I guess he felt bad since he's had a couple cancellation in the past 2 weeks. So, I knew soloing was out since I'd never flown with this CFI and I really want my regular guy there. Also, they were doing punch list items on the runway work they did a couple weeks ago so the far end of the runway was off limits. So, this guy gave me sort of a mini check ride covering everything I've gone over so far. A couple things I've only done once before, but the CFI seemed extremely pleased with how I did. I did 2 landings, 1 normal and 1 short field. I thought they were avg to maybe slightly better than avg. He said they were beautiful. Later said they were better than his and he needed to get out and practice to get to my level. I offered to sit in the right seat and coach him :D. Hard to believe that landing practice didn't start until about 15 hours ago and didn't click until about 5 hours ago. Am I the only one that enjoys soft field take offs?

ok, let me respond to your last question first.........soft fields are def fun.

now for the partial SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!

is anyone else thinking what I'm thinking about what his regular CFI did? :) :)

i need about 40 more hours until i start commercial training. ive been flying 2 times a week with this guy but he's going to be done soon building time so the flight that im renting from gave me another guy to go with. im at about 180 hours right now. hopefully i can fly at least 3X/ week with the new guy.

oh yeah........

:)

That was in the back of my mind the whole time but my normal CFI said he would have soloed me last time if the wind had cooperated. It was good for me to fly the someone else especially since he acted like a DPE the whole ride.

Hard to believe I like soft field as much as I do considering I nailed the tie down hook the first time I attempted one. By the looks of the hook I was not the first.

Good news and bad news for me. Good news - Check ride is scheduled for November 27th. Bad news - FBO is going out of business November 30th. :( Sure hope the weather cooperates on that day or finding an airplane to use for the test could get real interesting!

Good news and bad news for me. Good news - Check ride is scheduled for November 27th. Bad news - FBO is going out of business November 30th. :( Sure hope the weather cooperates on that day or finding an airplane to use for the test could get real interesting!

That is cutting it close. Good luck!

That is cutting it close. Good luck!

Thanks, you ain't kidding! My instructor originally wanted me to do it this week (this was set up around 3 weeks ago), but I figured why rush it, this way I could take my time studying and go into the oral portion really confident. So much for that, now I'll be worried about the weather on that day and what happens next if I screw it up!

Student, again
Working on CFI, CFII and CP ASES on time permitting basis. Fun, head about to explode
Sometimes things take longer than anticipated.
CP ASES as of last Friday, CFI ride this upcoming Friday.

2nd practice checkride was today with yet a different instructor. He said the same thing the last one did, that I am ready. Looking to do the checkride Early next week!

Scheduled for Monday. XC plan is KMSN-KSBN, also have the DPE's weight for running a W/B and takeoff performance.

As of right now, I'm not nervous about it at all. I hope I stay that way.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the weather, but it's still far away and anything can change with that.

New student checking in, fresh out of the ame's office with about 4 hours logged

Scheduled for Monday. XC plan is KMSN-KSBN, also have the DPE's weight for running a W/B and takeoff performance.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the weather, but it's still far away and anything can change with that.

Good luck! I'm scheduled for Tuesday. Stay calm and optimistic about the weather (since worrying about it doesn't do you any good anyway).

So what does one do when the DE shows up and they aren't near their stated weight?

I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at, but if he comes in and says "oh I've gained 20#", then I will need to re-calculate W/B.

I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at, but if he comes in and says "oh I've gained 20#", then I will need to re-calculate W/B.

Say the situation is he said "I weigh 180" and when he arrives he obviously is heavier, how do you approach the situation? (Hint: this is a real life scenario to prepare for)

Well, as I said, re-calculate W/B, aircraft performance will change, and worst-case fuel might need to be removed from the aircraft if it's overweight.

Other than that, you have me stumped if I'm indeed missing something :)

So what does one do when the DE shows up and they aren't near their stated weight?

Bully him about being a fat overweight liar to the point that he quits being a DPE?

what, too soon?

See I thought of that too but I would like to have my certificate issued :D

Do you gracefully confront them about their apparent weight vs what is reported and the importance of its accuracy? Do you guesstimate and correct your W&B accordingly (perhaps requiring alteration of fuel load and distance calculation)? How do you handle it?

No guesstimation. I need to have an accurate weight and balance, period. I'm not worried about offending the DPE.

No guesstimation. I need to have an accurate weight and balance, period. I'm not worried about offending the DPE.

If your DE pulls this on you as mine did, this is what they want, because you will have passengers that pull it.

It's funny you say that, because I've rehearsed the phrase in my head many times, when it comes to carrying passengers in the future....

"I need to know how much you weigh, and don't lie, because if you do, we could die".

Me and one pax in a 172 on a 50 degree day at 800 feet with no baggage, not a huge concern.

Me and a pax in a 152 with full fuel on a summer day, it's imperative that I get an accurate weight and if there is any doubt, I'll put you on a scale to be sure.

It's funny you say that, because I've rehearsed the phrase in my head many times, when it comes to carrying passengers in the future....

"I need to know how much you weigh, and don't lie, because if you do, we could die".

Me and one pax in a 172 on a 50 degree day at 800 feet with no baggage, not a huge concern.

Me and a pax in a 152 with full fuel on a summer day, it's imperative that I get an accurate weight and if there is any doubt, I'll put you on a scale to be sure.

Best to avoid using the word "die". "I really need to know your true weight, it's a safety of flight issue that I need to prepare for. Don't worry, I promise not to tell." That's my standard line if we're getting in a plane where it may be critical.

ok, with a little extra motivational push from our OP JasonM, I have scheduled my written for Tuesday. time for a few days of crammin'!

Student pilot here. Passed written, completed solos, etc. Finishing up hope to pass the checkride by end of the month. My instructor says that I am most of the way there. Polishing maneuvers to PTS or better standards. Soft field takeoffs/landings and steep turns have been the most difficult maneuvers for me.

Flying is like golf. You never master it, and we need to constantly be a student of it to become better. :yes:

I'll see your :yes: and raise you :yes: :yes: !! :lol:

Oh by the way. I am just getting back into flying after an 18 year lay off. y first landing wasn't even a controlled collision and I was pretty much right down the center with some light crosswind.

I am planning on getting training with perhaps an instrument rating in the near future. It is all about become a better safer pilot and less :hairraise: LOL I'm kidding of course but it is funny. I am currently looking for a really good instructor in my home area.

Last edited:
Student certificate gone yesterday... after issuance of temporary SP ASEL certificate! :D

But I'll always be a student, 'cause a good pilot is always learning.

Last edited:
Yes congrats to you!

Weather today was terrible... I mean BAD. DPE called me 2 hours prior to our appointment and asked if I wanted to do the oral today and the flight tomorrow. I said sure.

Oral exam went very well. I feel he went pretty easy on me but I did get a 97 on the written and was VERY organized and prepared with all the documentation he wanted to see right away. So I think that worked in my favor. Really nice guy... ATP retired, flew A319/A320 and 727/757/767s amongst others... I could have spent all day with the guy, I think he talked more than I did!

I think I am really going to enjoy the checkride tomorrow. I know I'll learn something for sure! Just hope I pass!

Yes congrats to you!

Weather today was terrible... I mean BAD. DPE called me 2 hours prior to our appointment and asked if I wanted to do the oral today and the flight tomorrow. I said sure.

Oral exam went very well. I feel he went pretty easy on me but I did get a 97 on the written and was VERY organized and prepared with all the documentation he wanted to see right away. So I think that worked in my favor. Really nice guy... ATP retired, flew A319/A320 and 727/757/767s amongst others... I could have spent all day with the guy, I think he talked more than I did!

I think I am really going to enjoy the checkride tomorrow. I know I'll learn something for sure! Just hope I pass!

I also felt the oral went well. It was certainly less intense than I expected. Somehow I passed the flight portion, so I'm sure you will also. Good luck!

Back