So, student pilots.. Who are we and where do we stand?

Didn't finish IFR training before the plane went in for annual but I'm optimistic I can wrap it up right after I get it back. The weather during Dec/Jan just made flying nearly impossible and we couldn't risk icing just for IFR practice... I think people in my area might attest to the terrible stretch of wx we had for weeks on end.

Since who knows how long annual will be I just started renting planes to make sure not too many cobwebs build up on the skills. I'm glad to say the approaches have continued to go well even when flying a non-arrow airplane :cool:

I still suck at holds but I'm getting better... Biggest frustration is just finding an airport that isn't packed on a VFR day so that we can get the approaches we need without having to disrupt traffic by flying a different runway than what's in use by the traffic. Oh well. First world problem.

Flew 38 NM this morning and took the IRA written test. Found it super easy and done in 20 minutes. However, I made bonehead mistakes and missed 3 questions. The word games got me.

On to practical training when my cfi becomes available.

New student pilot. No plans for CFI, MEL or etc. Just trying to get to where I can go see our grandkids ore often and cut that 6 hour drive down to somewhere around a two hour flight.

New student pilot. No plans for CFI, MEL or etc. Just trying to get to where I can go see our grandkids ore often and cut that 6 hour drive down to somewhere around a two hour flight.

That's awesome. Good luck with your training. You may cut that time to 3 hours one way and maybe 2.5 hours on the return.

Hi All, well met! Just joined the forums, glad to be here. I've wanted to get my pilots license for decades and am finally in a position to do so, so I am. I am in the very early stages in that I plan to call the flight school up the road from me this week and start the process, get my class III and start flying. I did have ground school in college over 20 years ago but never received funding for the flight time. Time to get this done!

...get my class III and start flying.

Spend a while perusing the medical subforum before you apply for the class 3. Many dreams have been shattered. A childhood diagnosis from 40 years ago can wreck plans if not handled correctly. If you get a denial, you can’t go the Sport Pilot route, which otherwise would not require any class of medical at all.

It’s usually recommended that you have a consultation with an aviation medical examiner (AME) before doing the actual exam and submission.

Starting the instrument flight training portion tomorrow.

Unfortunately I had to take a break from flying for a bit. Nothing like it and I wish everyone here continued success

First post! I've wanted to fly since I was 14. I remember racking up as much time as I could in FSX when it came out, planning to be the youngest pilot to ever get certified :D

Then High School and College happened (where I did get an Aerospace degree, so didn't stray too far), and then I became a real adult with finances.

Now that I'm settled in with a good salary, I can finally do it. I took my "Discovery Flight" back in October, and talked it over with the CFI. Him and I thought it would be wisest for me to run through Ground School (shoutout to the King Schools system) during the crummy weather in our area over the winter, then go gung-ho in spring on flight training.

Have my first flight since then, to be logged in a real life log book, this weekend!

First post! I've wanted to fly since I was 14. I remember racking up as much time as I could in FSX when it came out, planning to be the youngest pilot to ever get certified :D

Then High School and College happened (where I did get an Aerospace degree, so didn't stray too far), and then I became a real adult with finances.

Now that I'm settled in with a good salary, I can finally do it. I took my "Discovery Flight" back in October, and talked it over with the CFI. Him and I thought it would be wisest for me to run through Ground School (shoutout to the King Schools system) during the crummy weather in our area over the winter, then go gung-ho in spring on flight training.

Have my first flight since then, to be logged in a real life log book, this weekend!

Just for the record, it was a fantastic flight out of KCPS and back. I handled everything from starting the checklist until the landing, when my CFI took over (which, I felt relieved that he did. Being my first fully in control flight, I can admit I was feeling task-saturated when we started taking ATIS info down on approach when he took over. And I could tell he could tell, because he verbalized transfer of control right as I was thinking about asking him to take it). I learned a lot, especially that it's Okay to feel saturated as a student. There's a lot to learn. As soon as I felt saturated, I would tell him, and he would supplement.

I did get a thumbs up that I flew well for my first real lesson! Next step is getting better at trimming the aircraft. That was my primary point I took home. Then my next step is trying to reduce my tendency to over-control in the air. Probably a typical problem, but, one I'm very cognizant of. I was definitely better than my first intro flight a few months ago, though! Also think I was doing a LOT better of looking ahead, and NOT staring at instruments, as opposed to my first flight I took a few months ago. I spent a whole day reading NTSB reports on 152 and 172 fatal accidents, and quickly realized that, some variation of "failure to look outside of the cockpit" was a recurring theme.

Fingers crossed that the weather holds up, and I can be going up weekly, now that it's spring! I had such a great time. I think I'm now a flight addict. lol.

Just for the record, it was a fantastic flight out of KCPS and back. I handled everything from starting the checklist until the landing, when my CFI took over (which, I felt relieved that he did. Being my first fully in control flight, I can admit I was feeling task-saturated when we started taking ATIS info down on approach when he took over. And I could tell he could tell, because he verbalized transfer of control right as I was thinking about asking him to take it). I learned a lot, especially that it's Okay to feel saturated as a student. There's a lot to learn. As soon as I felt saturated, I would tell him, and he would supplement.

I did get a thumbs up that I flew well for my first real lesson! Next step is getting better at trimming the aircraft. That was my primary point I took home. Then my next step is trying to reduce my tendency to over-control in the air. Probably a typical problem, but, one I'm very cognizant of. I was definitely better than my first intro flight a few months ago, though! Also think I was doing a LOT better of looking ahead, and NOT staring at instruments, as opposed to my first flight I took a few months ago. I spent a whole day reading NTSB reports on 152 and 172 fatal accidents, and quickly realized that, some variation of "failure to look outside of the cockpit" was a recurring theme.

Fingers crossed that the weather holds up, and I can be going up weekly, now that it's spring! I had such a great time. I think I'm now a flight addict. lol.

Congrats. Flying is a lot of fun. I flew to KCPS a month ago for some BBQ. Was supposed to fly in this past sat and stay the night in STL but the weather turned out ugly. KCPS is a nice lil class D and I like their FBO a lot.

It's been a long road to it but I finally made it. Finished and passed my check-ride today - I am finally a private pilot ... woohoo!

That's awesome. Congrats! I was on cloud 9 when I got mine. It felt sooooo good not having to study and prep.......for a few days.....then I said um I think I'll go for the IFR training......and the wife said oh gaaaaawd here we go again. lol

Congrats. Flying is a lot of fun. I flew to KCPS a month ago for some BBQ. Was supposed to fly in this past sat and stay the night in STL but the weather turned out ugly. KCPS is a nice lil class D and I like their FBO a lot.
Thanks Ahmad! Hope to catch you and everybody on here for things like that as I start flying more!

Weather Guessers don't look too optimistic about this weekend, but, like my CFI instructed, a lot can change in a few days, may as well reserve the airplane, and can always cancel. Making my reservation to keep at least a lesson a week. Hoping to start eeking some more out as the sunlight after I get off work extends longer, too.

Did some partial panel IFR training yesterday. It was bumpy like crazy. Under the hood, bumpy, partial panel, navigation via VORs, and shooting approaches was "fun". CFI said "you do that on checkride and it's 100% pass".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230424_075854_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230424_075854_Samsung Internet.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 14
First post on here, currently working on my PPL. I've spent about 2 years (finances caused me to stop a few times) and have roughly 40 hours total time between a 172k, and a Hawk XPII (that one was a real performer).

I'm nearing my checkride, still haven't knocked out the written yet. I have struggled my whole life as far as cracking books open goes. I'm getting between 75 and 80s consistently on the ASA prepware app, I've passed and gotten the Kingschools endorsement but let it expire.

Really hoping to get this monkey off my back within the next couple weeks. But I guess we'll see what happens.

Cheers!

I just did my ppl written last week and somehow managed to pass with flying colors.I was really worried,especially about airspace and weather so I studied like a budding meteorologist and there was like 3-4 weather questions lol.I used the Gliem course.I actually managed to solo a week and a half ago but the weather and schedules haven’t been working together so haven’t flown since.:(

Reactions: Tai
First post on here, currently working on my PPL. I've spent about 2 years (finances caused me to stop a few times) and have roughly 40 hours total time between a 172k, and a Hawk XPII (that one was a real performer).

I'm nearing my checkride, still haven't knocked out the written yet. I have struggled my whole life as far as cracking books open goes. I'm getting between 75 and 80s consistently on the ASA prepware app, I've passed and gotten the Kingschools endorsement but let it expire.

Really hoping to get this monkey off my back within the next couple weeks. But I guess we'll see what happens.

Cheers!

I used the ASA prepware app also. It was good, the few things I didn't understand I just did a couple ground lessons with my CFI to go over and learn what I didn't get on my own.

sportys ppl app for phones was what i used. it was all i needed to pass with an 88% for ppl written. try that if you want something cheap. also, don’t neglect the phak.

Last edited:
Newb here. Planning to enroll in flight school within a few weeks for my PPL. My hope is to then go for Instruments/CPL simultaneously, after I receive my PPL. The ultimate goal is to fly cargo for Fedex ( I love their logo LOL). :D However, if I can reach my CPL w/instrument rating that would be so legit. I'm currently employed full-time and plan to continue being employed while I obtain my licenses and ratings.

Thanks for this thread! I love reading all of the messages and encouragement.

I had my intro to night landings the other night,all I can say is wow.It was awesome but anyone watching me try to land would have declared I have never landed before.After 5 I think I’m slowly getting the idea of flare height,but man it just seems wacky.I was wanting to start flaring way to low and I kept wanting to do the standard problem of staring at the landing light beam instead of getting my height judgment off the appearance of the runway lights.Better next time;)

I'm in the middle of accelerated instrument training at CRAFT. Check ride is on May 22nd. Scheduled to be back for my accelerated CPL on June 16th. My check ride for that is on June 23rd.

Passed my instrument check ride in yesterday. Great feeling. Easier than I thought or would or was stressed too much about it.
On to commercial. Check ride for that scheduled a month from today.
Congratulations! Means your instructor did his or her job.And you did yours.

Passed my instrument check ride in yesterday. Great feeling. Easier than I thought or would or was stressed too much about it.
On to commercial. Check ride for that scheduled a month from today.

YASSSS!!!! Congratz!

Had a good flight today. My flying has not been frequent this year due to scheduling issues. The latest page of my logbook has three different types of planes on it.

I haven't solo'd yet, at 25 hours, due to my inconsistent schedule and splitting time between different planes. Though shortly I do plan on completely focusing on one particular plane (knock on wood that there are no mechanical issues with it going forward).

I hope it's not a bad sign that I am not sure how close I am to soloing. I have a whole bunch of flights booked in a row soon - I do hope to have a good indication at the end of that stretch.

I think my maneuvers are good. My radio calls can use some work sometimes, especially if I've gone a few weeks without flying. And avionics familiarity is certainly an issue due to going from 50 year old panels to glass panels from week to week.

Though I'm not in a huge hurry, I really want to have solo'd. Seems like it will be awesome.

I have about 30 hr so I’m closing in on the ppl but I’m afraid I’m ruined.I had a j3 flight the other day,now I have to have a tailwheel.Anyone want to trade a Aa1b for pacer:D.I need to finish up my license before I let my eyes wonder though

I'm 4hrs of flight time in and I'm LOVING my experience. During my discovery flight (before I was a student) my CFI made me do a lot of medium banking and let me fly lots of BAF without much input. My second time flying (1st official lesson as a student), my CFI made me taxi and take-off lol. It was awesome! We did BAF for 1hour with shallow turns and mainly focusing on straight-n level after climbs/descends/banks. I did well, although I have to keep focusing on keeping my eye on the horizon (I slightly pitch up and gradually climb sometimes). He's very encouraging and honest and is impressed with the knowledge I have coming in (i finished the airplane manual and was in chapter 8 in the PHAK, prior to enrolling). Today's lesson was even better: more BAF. Taxied, and took-off again. I did a 360-turn, 180-turn, 90-turn and 30-turn. He also had me perform banks in a descent and climb then focusing on straight-n-level. It was good. I'm happy with my progress...can't wait to see how much I'll progress in 10hrs more. I also only go once a week because of the 80mile-roundtrip drive to the school.

Almost done with the first stage of the Commercial training for ASEL and just trying to plug away at my studying and balance it all since I'm part 141 and getting my B.S. in aviation at the same time. Got my PPl and IR already and hoping to possibly get a job as a banner tower after commercial and then on to multi engine rating or just to multi first and then go from there. Just trying to figure out my best options and see where this is going and where I want to end up.

I have 23 hours in my logbook. Those hours include 3 hours from 1981 and 2.5 from 1990. Yes, I took the long way around. I'm now 61 and finally decided to do this (with strong encouragement from my family) once and for all.

I haven't soloed yet but I'm getting closer everyday. I passed the written exam with a 97 before I started flying last month so that pressure is off. I have the time and money so that pressure is off.

It is challenging for sure and I think it takes my brain a little longer now to focus and absorb than maybe it did 30 years ago, but I'm patient and my CFI has been really great.

I'd like to get licensed by the end of the summer but whenever it happens .... it happens.

Back