So....remind me why....

Good visit with the oncologist...very nice lady. Lance is stable, not much can be done. There's always "stuff" to be tried, but none of it made sense. Doing nothing except keeping him comfortable....maybe a month or two. She said we know our dog, we'd know when it was time...and I agree. She doesn't expect any "crisis", our biggest problem will probably be getting him to eat.

Other than sleeping a lot and tiring easily, he seems his older self and he still loves his belly rubs. :) We can take a deep breath, slow down and enjoy.

We worked with 4 vets over that past few days, and I found it so amazing how gentle and caring they all were.

Once again, thank you for all your kind words. It's really silly how these critters wrap you around their paw, but I love it!

Sorry, Kaye. Having lost two babies in a year, all I can say it tell yourself that Lance wants you to love and care for the next rescue as much as you did him.

Good visit with the oncologist...very nice lady. Lance is stable, not much can be done. There's always "stuff" to be tried, but none of it made sense. Doing nothing except keeping him comfortable....maybe a month or two. She said we know our dog, we'd know when it was time...and I agree. She doesn't expect any "crisis", our biggest problem will probably be getting him to eat.

Other than sleeping a lot and tiring easily, he seems his older self and he still loves his belly rubs. :) We can take a deep breath, slow down and enjoy.

We worked with 4 vets over that past few days, and I found it so amazing how gentle and caring they all were.

Once again, thank you for all your kind words. It's really silly how these critters wrap you around their paw, but I love it!

Pretty sure oxycodone works on dogs as well, though I'm not sure pain works quite the same with them but it's so hard to tell with chronic pain because they don't complain. Not a bad way to go either, just nod off and stop breathing in your sleep. Again, sorry to see it happen to you.

You can always try herbal remedies to help him feel better. I have a cat friend who was shot by a crossbow last year, recovered, then developed a large tumor where the crossbow bolt entered. They've been using vita C, paw paw, and a few other things to help. The tumor hasn't gone away, but it has shrunk a bit and definitely has stopped growing. Prior to taking herbal supplements, it was growing quite rapidly.

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/cancer1/altthrpy3.htm#Paw_Paw

There's other treatments on this page to consider, just cross-reference to be sure they are safe for dogs.

Just sayin', sometimes herbal can be beneficial, if even to bring some comfort and doesn't cause ugly side effects.

Just enjoy the time you have with your handsome dog and make every moment a lasting memory. That goes for anyone with pets.

Kaye,

So sorry to hear this news. We lost our Roxi girl (rotti) to lymphomA 7 years ago. Did the chemo for a year only because they thought we had cought it so early. Roxi did great never got sick, ate like a horse and played like a puppy.

I camE home one day after work to find our three cats sitting at her side and I feared the worse. She was alive but it all seemed to catch up with her and she was tired of the fight.

As my vet of many years once told me our "pets" provide unconditional love, expecting us only to never let them suffer, its hard to swallow but he was right.

Hugs to Lance and to you.....

Did the chemo for a year only because they thought we had cought it so early. Roxi did great never got sick, ate like a horse and played like a puppy.

I camE home one day after work to find our three cats sitting at her side and I feared the worse. She was alive but it all seemed to catch up with her and she was tired of the fight

Sounds exactly like our Golden, chemo gave us an additional GREAT year together then one night his liver failed and it was time:sad:

So sorry. A friend lost her Whippet last week and I found this. I hope you don't mind me sharing with you as well.

Life of a Canine
(In Loving Memory of Our Duke)

When I was born, I also had a few brothers
and I would hear people say I had a very proud mother.
But for some reason or another you picked me as the best.
You then brought me home to meet your family and the rest.
Now in a very short time I was quick to discover,
that my new family and I really love one another.
There were so many things that you would teach me to do,
and I would love playing ball and swimming with you.
Remember the times we would play at the park?
And the many times we wouldn't get home till dark?
When you came home from your day I was always so happy to see you
and would lie down beside you if you were feeling kind of blue

Now my best years pass quicker than the ones before
and I'm finding it harder to meet you at the door.
More time has gone by now and my chin is all grey.
I'm feeling aches and pains and more tired today.

I think we both know now my time has come
It's getting harder to breathe and I can no longer run.
You tell me you no longer want to see me in pain
with your sobbing voice and tears falling like rain.
Now the doctor is here and you are all holding me close,
I hear everyone say that they'll miss "me" the most.

As my eyes are closing and you are all looking so sad,
I start thinking back to all the great years we've had.
Till we meet again my family, I love you, you've been so kind.
It has been such an Honor to have been your Canine.

By Gerry Delesoy

I'm so sorry!

I lost two dogs within months of each other in 2008. I truly know how you feel. My animals are part of my family, and the love they give me is worth the pain of losing them. A few months ago I adopted a dog set to be euthanized. He was sick and heartworm positive, but I took him anyway. He knows I saved his life, and he is a joy to be around now. I will always love and miss my dogs that passed away, but there's always room in my heart for another one.

I'm so sorry. Best wishes.

I'm sorry to hear that, Kaye. Not sure what else to say. BTDT and it hurts.

So sorry. A friend lost her Whippet last week and I found this. I hope you don't mind me sharing with you as well.

Life of a Canine

that my new family and I really love one another.
There were so many things that you would teach me to do,

By Gerry Delesoy

OMG. That actually made me cry.

I'm so sorry to hear that, Kaye.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
from http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Life of a Canine

that my new family and I really love one another. There were so many things that you would teach me to do,

By Gerry Delesoy

I don't know what to say....but it's making me feel so much better.

The husband and I consumed a beverage or two tonight, and reminisced about the years with Lance and our previous critters. They were very fond memories...:)

When we got home, I joined the ritual gathering of neighborhood dogs in the common area, I swear, each dog came for a short visit....maybe because the evil bad Lance wasn't with me..:).. nah, I don't think so.

A little quiet around here right now, don't think that will last for long.

As I've said before, thanks to all of you.

I'm sorry, Kaye. :(

But I'm glad to hear the healing process is beginning for you. It takes time.

Kaye - I'm so sorry on your loss. After we said goodbye to Pleighdaux a few years back, I remember the house felt a little too quiet and a little too big for the three of us for a while, but the healing does come with time. Enjoy the happy memories, and you'll always have the love....

Leslie

Aww, Kaye, I am crying with you, and no shame in that.

Pups can be such clever mirrors to our souls, and a raft of fun.

Think of what a great life you gave him...

I am so sorry to hear that Kaye.

Back