So....remind me why....

Kaye

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iPlaneless
...I let dogs in my life.

My little Sheltie mix, Lance, that I "rescued" 8 yrs ago hasn't been himself for the past week. This morning I decided it was vet time, but my favorite vet wasn't in, so I made an appointment for Monday morning. The day wore on, things didn't seem quite right, and when Lance wouldn't eat dinner, I said "that's it, we're off to the emergency vet". Lance enhales his food, and there's only one other time he wouldn't eat when he was injured from a multi-loose-dog attack.

After a little bit of this and a little bit of that, it looks like cancer. I go back tomorrow for an ultrasound to confirm, but the vet believes it's hemangiosarcoma that's attacked the liver, spleen, and heart. Of course, I've never heard of such a thing, but it's an aggressive cancer that you don't know is around until it's basically too late.

Reading on the web, there's not much to do if it's hit all those organs. I'm not one who would do the chemo thing, but not much additional time would be gained with this cancer anyway, if it was an option.

And if it's confirmed, my little guy won't be around much longer. :(

Well, it's time to go cry some more....DAMN, I hate this! :sad:

Attachments

• h1_Kaye_Lance_tractor 2007.JPG
    h1_Kaye_Lance_tractor 2007.JPG
    701.5 KB · Views: 100
Very sorry to hear this news. We easily get attached to our pets and have to go through these times too often because of our comparative life spans. I think I've lost count of the pets we've lost over the years and it hurts each time we have to say goodbye. I do have a parrot right now though that might outlive me.

Kayne,

I also know all to well the pain of loosing a dog. We keep them in our lives because of the joy they bring us, and the joy we bring them, everyday. From the picture I can tell that Lance is a very happy dog! The next few weeks are going to be tough, but hang in there.

Tony

Ugh! Sorry to hear that Kaye, one of the truest sayings is "the price of love is grief"

I'm Sorry to hear! My family has lost a few pets in the last couple years. Its never fun :(

So sorry Kaye. They're worth every minute of fun and joy, we just are asked to be there for them for a little while that's not as happy at the end. Big hug for your pup.

That really sucks, Kaye.

The disparate lifespans of humans & our beloved pets is one of the cruelest things in life.

Condolences.

I'm really sorry to hear that, Kaye. That old trite saying about "better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" comes to mind here. The rest of his time with you will be short and hard, but you've brought each other joy and companionship while he's been with you,and your lives have both been better for it. Just remember that you don't want him to suffer needlessly just so you can enjoy a little more of his company. There may come a time when you have to decide to let him go. Just more of your love for him.

Our thoughts are with you Kaye.

I think it is better that we live longer - if pets outlived us that would be much, much worse for them.

Why? Because you have a big heart and love to spare.
Of course, that makes it hurt all the more.
Hugs to you and sweet Lance...

It really hurts to loose a family member, we are sorry

Thanks for all the kind thoughts.

Back from the ultrasound...and that vet does not believe it's hemangiosarcoma, but probably lymphoma cancer. His liver and spleen are covered with masses, she wasn't able to get a good shot around the heart, though she believes it's okay. But there's something there hiding.

Good news/bad news. Good news, we should have a couple of months to get used to the idea instead of a couple of weeks. Bad news, it's still cancer. Chemo could give a few more months, but I don't think I'll go there. Lance is around 13 (he was 4 or 5 when we got him), so I'm ok with keeping him comfortable and not trying to add a couple of months for my benefit. We'll talk with my regular vet tomorrow.

This will be the 4th critter to lose, sure doesn't get any easier. But we'll give him lots of hugs for now, and in a few months, we'll find another pooch who needs some loving.

Well, have to go check on the boiling chicken...he's still not interested in his dog food.

Sorry for your pain. Your dog is better off for having known you, and really, what better thing can be said of anyone?

And to quote George Carlin... "Life... is a series of dogs".

That sucks. Sorry to hear. They are very hard to let lose.

Sorry to hear about the big "C" for your adorable little guy. It's so hard to lose our little furred ones and when it happened to me, I said I'd never get another. Now I have four cats. They just steal your heart with their little personalities.

Love on him as much as you can and savor every moment. The reason we do it is because they are wonderful companions. Look at it this way - how many laughs and fun times would you have missed if you never had him? Cherish every one of those memories.

I had a sheltie who lived to 15 - He was one of the best dogs I have ever had. I'm sorry Kaye that this is happening for Lance but I know he'll be fine w/ you taking care of him and he will be missed when the time comes for him to go.

When my mother was dying of CA I asked her if she was scared at all and she said "No, I think I will get to see all my favorite dogs" and she smiled this great smile.

Our dogs are so much a part of our life, I can't imagine not having one around

you just inspired me to take the dogs for a walk they love it and are excited!! I am so sorry hang in there give him lots of love.

I'm sorry, Kaye. :(

We just lost our little Quaker Parrot on Wednesday. The sitter found her in her cage one morning when he came to check on her and the dogs. I would've been there to see her one last time if she'd waited another 24 hours, but nobody could tell that little bird what to do, and at her age, she decided it was her time.

When I returned her to the earth on Thursday, I brought the dogs with me, who just sat and were very well behaved. I think they fully understood what was going on and will miss her. I was asking myself the same question, about why we let these creatures in our life when their loss causes so much grief.

The answer came to me quickly. Their loss is so very painful, but only because we loved them so very much while they were alive, and they loved us back. All the memories of the happy times that allow us to smile through the tears make it worth it.

The one thing in life that is certain for all of us is that, one day, it will end. In some ways, I find this comforting. It ensures that the cycle will continue and that things never remain stagnant. However, balance exists at all times in this life. The happiness of birth is therefore balanced by the sadness of death.

Kaye, So sorry to hear about your doggie.

It reminds me of when we lost my Merlin to Kidney failure. It made me sad to know he was gone but the joy he brough me and my family over his life was worth the sadness. I also know that his life was better since we were his humans (he was a cat after all, I know who "owned" who).

Try to take comfort in the happiness you both found in each other and spoil him for what little time you have left with him. Unfortunatly life is not forever but thankfully love is.

Missa

:( Sorry to hear about that Kaye. They really are members of the family.

Sorry to hear about your dog, Kaye. I have had two Shelties in the past. One of them died of cancer although in his case I didn't know about it until one day when he was too weak to get up and his gums were white. The vet said that he had a tumor on his kidney or liver (I can't remember which) and it had ruptured. There was nothing they could do. I knew he was slowing down but I thought that was because he was getting old. He had been to the vet for a checkup a few months previously.

I would not normally post poetry but this is one of my favorite poems about pets.

Thank you, my friendly daemon, close to me as my shadow
For the mealy buttercup days in the ancient meadow,
For the days of my 'teens, the sluice of hearing and seeing,
The days of topspin drives and physical well-being.

Thank you, my friend, shorter by a head, more placid
Than me your protégé whose ways are not so lucid,
My animal angel sure of touch and humour
With face still tanned from some primaeval summer.

Thanks for your sensual poise, your gay assurance,
Who skating on the lovely wafers of appearance
Have held my hand, put vetoes upon my reason,
Sent me to look for berries in the proper season.

Some day you will leave me or, at best, less often
I shall sense your presence when eyes and nostrils open,
Less often find your burgling fingers ready
To pick the locks when mine are too unsteady.

Thank you for the times of contact, for the glamour
Of pleasure sold by the clock and under the hammer,
Thank you for bidding for me, for breaking the cordon
Of spies and sentries round the unravished garden.

And thank you for the abandon of your giving,
For seeing in the dark, for making this life worth living.

"Thank You" from “The Earth Compels” by Louis MacNeice, 1938

We've lost a number of dogs and cats over the years. It's never easy. My dad was a veterinarian and it really hurt when he had to put one of ours down. Even when he knew it was the only thing that could be done. They become members of the family, not just pets. I'm sorry this is happening. But, you'll remember the joys of having him in your life. We do. Still, it's not easy.

I'm sorry, Kaye. :(

We just lost our little Quaker Parrot on Wednesday. The sitter found her in her cage one morning when he came to check on her and the dogs. I would've been there to see her one last time if she'd waited another 24 hours, but nobody could tell that little bird what to do, and at her age, she decided it was her time.

When I returned her to the earth on Thursday, I brought the dogs with me, who just sat and were very well behaved. I think they fully understood what was going on and will miss her. I was asking myself the same question, about why we let these creatures in our life when their loss causes so much grief.

The answer came to me quickly. Their loss is so very painful, but only because we loved them so very much while they were alive, and they loved us back. All the memories of the happy times that allow us to smile through the tears make it worth it.

The one thing in life that is certain for all of us is that, one day, it will end. In some ways, I find this comforting. It ensures that the cycle will continue and that things never remain stagnant. However, balance exists at all times in this life. The happiness of birth is therefore balanced by the sadness of death.

So sorry, Ted, about Quaker Parrot. :( And I completely agree that other pets understand and grieve at a loss...I saw it with our Kat both times when our Yorkies passed.

We've lost a number of dogs and cats over the years. It's never easy. My dad was a veterinarian and it really hurt when he had to put one of ours down. Even when he knew it was the only thing that could be done. They become members of the family, not just pets. I'm sorry this is happening. But, you'll remember the joys of having him in your life. We do. Still, it's not easy.

Meeting with the regular vet yesterday, he had a "moment" while commenting on what a sweet dog Lance is. I can't imagine being in their shoes.

Sorry to hear about your dog, Kaye. I have had two Shelties in the past. One of them died of cancer although in his case I didn't know about it until one day when he was too weak to get up and his gums were white. The vet said that he had a tumor on his kidney or liver (I can't remember which) and it had ruptured. There was nothing they could do. I knew he was slowing down but I thought that was because he was getting old. He had been to the vet for a checkup a few months previously.

I would not normally post poetry but this is one of my favorite poems about pets.

Thank you, my friendly daemon, close to me as my shadow
For the mealy buttercup days in the ancient meadow,
For the days of my 'teens, the sluice of hearing and seeing,
The days of topspin drives and physical well-being.

Thank you, my friend, shorter by a head, more placid
Than me your protégé whose ways are not so lucid,
My animal angel sure of touch and humour
With face still tanned from some primaeval summer.

Thanks for your sensual poise, your gay assurance,
Who skating on the lovely wafers of appearance
Have held my hand, put vetoes upon my reason,
Sent me to look for berries in the proper season.

Some day you will leave me or, at best, less often
I shall sense your presence when eyes and nostrils open,
Less often find your burgling fingers ready
To pick the locks when mine are too unsteady.

Thank you for the times of contact, for the glamour
Of pleasure sold by the clock and under the hammer,
Thank you for bidding for me, for breaking the cordon
Of spies and sentries round the unravished garden.

And thank you for the abandon of your giving,
For seeing in the dark, for making this life worth living.

"Thank You" from “The Earth Compels” by Louis MacNeice, 1938

I liked that, thanks Mari.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this situation. I hope you're able to provide comfort to him and him to you.

Well, poopie. The pathology report is back, and all samples from the spleen and liver represented metastastic disease, so we don't know the primary target. But they're nueroendocrine tumors, which I guess basiscally means "no hope".

Boy, what a rollercoaster ride the past few days have been. The ultrsound vet thought it would be lymphosarcoma, and my regular vet was very upbeat about treatment for that cancer (yes, I was thinking about chemo after all). But no such luck.

Sure glad this was my "work at home" day today. :sad:

Kaye, so sorry to hear about this.

We have pets because what would life be like without them - which is also why it's so hard to let them go. :(

Can't really say anything other than "Bummer"

We had a golden when I was a kid who ended up with lymphoma. Chemo gave us another full GOOD year with him. Granted he wasn't very old to begin with.

Not looking forward to when our two pass on. Hell we've only had our greyhound a couple of weeks and I'm attached to that frikin dog.

I wish that I had something more comforting to say than "I'm sorry."

The reality is that they're friends, members of the family, and occasional footwarmers on cold nights. They can be as tough to lose as the people we love.

But, what you have to remember is Lance's life is better for having you, and yours is better for having him.

And I think that answers the "why."

I am so sorry to hear Kaye. No chemo please, it hurts and dogs don't understand. Make the best use of the time you have left.

Dogs don't live as long as us, and it always hurts when they die. If you want a long-lived pet, get a tortoise or a parrot. But they just aren't dogs.

Dogs don't live as long as us, and it always hurts when they die. If you want a long-lived pet, get a tortoise or a parrot. But they just aren't dogs.

They aren't, and the big problem with parrots is that they really shouldn't have been domesticated. Most dogs are very happy being in a house with their humans and following them around all the time with varying levels of attention. Birds still make great friends, but when you have Cockatoos or larger, they are not only capable of producing some very significant damage, but are highly likely to. That includes if they like you. If you have one that outlives you, then you also need to find it a home for after you die. One of my friends has 8 or 9 birds (I lose count), and he's got a trust fund set up for each one of them with a new home if anything happens to him.

But I'd love to have another bird.

They aren't, and the big problem with parrots is that they really shouldn't have been domesticated. Most dogs are very happy being in a house with their humans and following them around all the time with varying levels of attention. Birds still make great friends, but when you have Cockatoos or larger, they are not only capable of producing some very significant damage, but are highly likely to. That includes if they like you. If you have one that outlives you, then you also need to find it a home for after you die. One of my friends has 8 or 9 birds (I lose count), and he's got a trust fund set up for each one of them with a new home if anything happens to him.

But I'd love to have another bird.

Actually, dog bites are one of the most common injuries in America. Yeah, birds are OK, but they just aren't dogs. They don't look at you with those eyes, or happily gambol up to you glad that you're home.

Lives More Temporary

We who choose to surround ourselves
with lives even more temporary
than our own, live within a fragile
circle, easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps,
we still would live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
never fully understanding the necessary plan.

From “The Once Again Prince” by Irving Townsend

Actually, dog bites are one of the most common injuries in America. Yeah, birds are OK, but they just aren't dogs. They don't look at you with those eyes, or happily gambol up to you glad that you're home.

Yes, of course dog bites are more common. How many households have dogs? How many households have birds? That will explain the reason. Nevermind the large number of strays, etc.

Before the little Quaker Parrot died, she bit me on a daily basis multiple times per day. What was nice about her was that her bites rarely drew blood, but they did sometimes. The large birds can bite hard enough to break your bones. Two friends of mine have cockatoos, and both of them have had very significant bites from their own birds, unprovoked.

Conversely, one of my dogs has bitten me, but never without cause, and only within the first few months of having her.

Well, poopie. The pathology report is back, and all samples from the spleen and liver represented metastastic disease, so we don't know the primary target. But they're nueroendocrine tumors, which I guess basiscally means "no hope".

Boy, what a rollercoaster ride the past few days have been. The ultrsound vet thought it would be lymphosarcoma, and my regular vet was very upbeat about treatment for that cancer (yes, I was thinking about chemo after all). But no such luck.

Sure glad this was my "work at home" day today. :sad:
Kaye, I'm so very sorry. :sad: My heart breaks for you. :(

Sorry Kaye. Very sad.

Our 17 year old dog and 21 year old cat have me thinking way too much lately. Worrying even.

I'll probably be a total wreck when the dog goes. I'd be relieved for the cat. He's scrawny and pretty senile at this point. Dog's slowly losing out to arthritis.

Sigh.

Back