So Much for German Efficiency

When I visited Flugwerft Schleißheim near Munich last month, there was a MiG 23 being worked on in the restoration hangar. It had Soviet-style DDR markings on one side, and post-reunification markings on the other.

IMG_0847.jpg

Yep, they are mostly museum pieces or adversaries in practice.

perhaps in a pre-emptive move against France, because they felt it was coming anyway?
this is were your theory falls apart, France clearly wasn't interested in any war, they even withdrew all their troops from within 10 km of their borders to avoid any provocations and incidents. That France wasn't interested in WWI shouldn't be surprise considering their pathetic performance in WWII.

There was no misunderstanding, WWII was born from economic tyranny defined in the Treaty of Versailles stacked on top of economic depression combined with hyperinflation. You can't expect a starving population to sit around and starve. Under those conditions there is only one outcome.

Wow. Holocaust was also due to Treaty of Versailles ? :mad2:

In a century, World Wars I and II will be taught as a single war.
Never heard anyone suggest that before but I think you got it. Millennials are almost there already.

And Germany didn't start World War II either, Poles did! They were very impolite and inconsiderate by refusing Hitler's request to build a 'corridor' through Poland to Gdansk.
:rofl::rofl:

When I visited Flugwerft Schleißheim near Munich last month, there was a MiG 23 being worked on in the restoration hangar. It had Soviet-style DDR markings on one side, and post-reunification markings on the other.

IMG_0847.jpg
Quite a restoration hangar. I love the Miesian/Bauhaus look.

There was no misunderstanding, WWII was born from economic tyranny defined in the Treaty of Versailles stacked on top of economic depression combined with hyperinflation. You can't expect a starving population to sit around and starve. Under those conditions there is only one outcome.

I would attribute the punitive nature of the Versailles to the last-minute entry of the United States into WWI. The war was pretty much over, the US just jumped in at the end, and as a result tipped what would have been a small-win for the Allies into a much more lopsided win, permitting the dictating of the punitive terms.

There is a legitimate case to be made that the US entry into WWI was the direct cause of WW2

The Holocaust was a result of economics, you have to create a propaganda of hate against a population that you want to steal from to take their stuff. Antisemitism for economic reasons did not start with Hitler, it was already well in place at the time of the Spanish Inquisition which was a similar event to the WWII Holocaust. Prior to the depression in Germany the Jews there lived much better than in most the countries of Europe which is why there are so many Jews with German names.

I would attribute the punitive nature of the Versailles to the last-minute entry of the United States into WWI.
Maybe the US just wanted to stimulate the development of engine-less flight in Germany.

Without Versailles we'd probably be soaring in American Schweizers instead of German Shemp-Hirths, Schleichers and Rolladen-Schneiders.
There's lots of German efficiency in those babies :D:D

And Versailles was the cause of the Japanese attacks on China and ultimately the US?

And Versailles was the cause of the Japanese attacks on China and ultimately the US?

No, the Japanese end of it was due to our protecting our interests in the Java and South China Sea oil fields, that's why they bombed Pearl Harbor, so the Navy would be unable to. They went into China because they needed the resources.

No, the Japanese end of it was due to our protecting our interests in the Java and South China Sea oil fields, that's why they bombed Pearl Harbor, so the Navy would be unable to. They went into China because they needed the resources.

Well, that and the blockade of Japan by the US.

A really cool place to visit, a must if you ever get to Munich. Its maybe 45min outside of town.
Indeed. It's a branch of the excellent Deutsches Museum, so everything is top-quality. Much of the museum is housed in buildings that go back to WW1. The adjacent Oberschleißheim airfield was a military field through both wars.

I'm out of town for a few days now, but when I get back home I'll start a new thread with more photos of the museum.

Back