So just how does one make an NTSB report disappear

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
I don't care about my own, but very, very curious what kind of strings one would have to be able to pull to make an NTSB report vanish from the internet??? And yes, I know of a specific instance where I've previously seen the report and now it cannot be found whatsoever.

I like to hear more details on this.

Short of national security concerns, there aren't any provisions to hide a report.

what kind of strings one would have to be able to pull to make an NTSB report vanish from the internet???
There are none. It's a public record.
I know of a specific instance where I've previously seen the report and now it cannot be found whatsoever.
Curious also on which one. The online record is not all inclusive as noted on the database search page. However, if a specific report was administratively updated/changed it may have no longer met the requirements to be posted in the online database.

The only way they disappear from what I’m aware of is either report being revised, technical error, really good political connection.

I don't care about my own, but very, very curious what kind of strings one would have to be able to pull to make an NTSB report vanish from the internet??? And yes, I know of a specific instance where I've previously seen the report and now it cannot be found whatsoever.

Buy a politician. Disregard, you said internet. On second thought..............

I have downloaded the entire NTSB database to my computer every year since 1999. Give me the NTSB number, aircraft N-Number, or particulars of what kind of airplane and approximately when and where, and I can extract the report. We can then compare it to the online database.

Ron Wanttaja

Give us a category. Politician or family of? Movie star?

I have downloaded the entire NTSB database to my computer every year since 1999. Give me the NTSB number, aircraft N-Number, or particulars of what kind of airplane and approximately when and where, and I can extract the report. We can then compare it to the online database.

Ron Wanttaja

upload_2019-11-25_8-23-39.jpeg

Ryan PM'd me some details, and I found the NTSB number of the accident. It is still accessible via the public search tool.

There are glitches, sometimes, in the search tool. Which is why I work with personal copies of the database.

Ron Wanttaja

I think those would be public domain, or at least subject to FOIA. Having some of them not be posted on a web site probably isn't 'making them disappear'. I think, but don't know, there probably isn't a law or reg that they all be available immediately and online.

Also, the NTSB performance varies from exceptional to, well, just ignorant and/or misinformed. Some of their conclusions are the result of great science, superb insight, great forensics. And some have been just sloppy dumb. Maybe the "B" team handles the web posting content. And they are a Fed gov't entity; high performance not requried, expected, or likely.

I know of two reports that could not be released due to National security reasons. Sealed. Three letter people.

Ryan PM'd me some details, and I found the NTSB number of the accident. It is still accessible via the public search tool.

There are glitches, sometimes, in the search tool. Which is why I work with personal copies of the database.

Ron Wanttaja

C'mon now. Was it something juicy? Share

Ron Wanttaja
I've been tripped up before due to misspellings, misclassifications, and transposed numbers. Usually the search tool works as designed, but ultimately the information is entered by humans, and humans are imperfect.

Got any friends with organized crime? They did a good job with Hoffa.

Last edited:
I've been tripped up before due to misspellings, misclassifications, and transposed numbers. Usually the search tool works as designed, but ultimately the information is entered by humans, and humans are imperfect.
I usually find the opposite. :rolleyes:

C'mon now. Was it something juicy? Share
No, not that bad, but I didn't realize two people and a goat could fit in a single seat with the belt buckled. :)

Seriously, nothing juicy, just another bad afternoon for a fellow pilot. I'll let Ryan share if he wishes, but since he gave me the particulars by PM, I'm not going to say.

I'm currently researching the fatality rates for in-flight fires and the cause of death from post-impact fires of homebuilts, and appreciated the diversion....

Ron "Ain't gonna sleep well for a while" Wanttaja

Back