So is goat sacrifice an FAA approved repair method?

Bob, if you're into servicing goats, I don't need to know... ;)

Nah, Chuck. The FAA doesn't care about the goat, only the airplane. The goat doesn't have to be returned to service (which would be tough after it's been sacrificed, anyway).

It could always be returned to service in a tasty stew!

This leads to questions about the food on foreign carriers. :eek:

Nothing newsworthy there. I'm sure I've been served goat on a number of domestic flights ....

only get a yellow tag if they come from a certified sacrificing station. otherwise use any goat you want as long as your A&P approves.

One of our club members sent me that link as an example of something we haven't tried to get our 172 on line.

Joe

Yes, but the 757 made a successful flight with no issues after the sacrifice, so it worked! :rolleyes:

I can see it now:

AP - Jacksonville, FL - A Cessna 172 crashed into the Atlantic today, killing all four on board. Early indications are that the pilot had not filed a flight plan with the FAA or sacrificed a goat (or two) prior to the flight.

I looked at part 43 and could not find an entry for Goat sacrifices. Does that mean I cannot sacrifice the goat myself or if I do it so I need to have an AP sign it off? Does the AP have to watch over my shoulder or can he/she be a few hangars away and then just check in on my work?

I heard Boeing was considering updating Chapter 20 for the 757.
Ron

Cessna is issuing an update for Section 8.

But, in order to follow it you must be Section 8.

Reviving this thread because of a new goat sacrifice story. It's about a goat sacrificed Sunday on the ramp at the biggest international airport in Pakistan. Not as part of a repair, but as part of an unapproved preflight, I suppose.

Here's the BBC link

https://www.google.com/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/38368667

And here is an excerpt from NPR:

PIA is Pakistan International Airlines, which had grounded its fleet of ATR turboprop passenger planes after a Dec. 7 crash of an ATR killed all 47 people on board. The flight on Sunday was the first by an ATR since then.

It wasn't PIA's idea to bring a goat into the mix. Airline spokesperson Danyal Gillani issued what was no doubt the first airline statement about goat sacrifice in the history of aviation: "It was done by some local employees as a gesture of gratitude over the clearance of the first ATR [for flying]." Animal sacrifice is a part of Islamic tradition and can be found in other religions as well (see Leviticus 23:19).

But the Pakistan International Airlines Pilots Association was not happy. "When you slaughter an animal in the middle of a major airport next to an aircraft, it is bound to attract attention," said a representative.

Last edited:
Back