So... is Adolf Hitler still banned?

Doggtyred

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
Just out of curiousity was looking to see if mentioning Adolf Hitler (Hilter) was still verboten-schpeak.... ;)

Re: So... is ****** still banned?

Just out of curiousity was looking to see if mentioning ****** ****** (****) was still verboten-schpeak.... ;)

not at all.

;)

I've never seen a thread go Godwin in one post.

I've never seen a thread go Godwin in one post.

Not really, Godwins law does not apply to discussions with the subject of Hitler and fascism.

I heard that Hitler's book is banned in Germany.

I heard that Hitler's book is banned in Germany.

It is, at least it used to be. Also you can't operate a fascist party. Some of the right wing fringe parties have been dissolved by court order over the years. Just a less absolute take on freedom of speech. You can talk about anything unless you promote fascism, communism or violence.

Last edited:
Nazi propaganda of any kind is banned in Germany, therefore if some German Nazis want say some printed material for their cause - American Nazis (or similar) print it for them.

No,but mentioning any of the uncanny parallels to pre WWII Germany and what's happening in our country is.

A couple years ago, someone would constantly reply to posts here with "hitler did xxxyyyzzz". It got annoying so the management council put a squelch on the word "hitler".... so then it was "hilter did xxxyyyzzz"....

At least Bob Noel got what I was talking about.

Sorry.. boredom at work and easy access to the internet is to blame for this Godwin-in-one-post thread ;)

Not typically but such a controversial name like hitler doesn't need to be brought up for no stupid reason just to say his name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not typically but such a controversial name like hitler doesn't need to be brought up for no stupid reason just to say his name.

If you want someone to do something, ban it.

Not really, Godwins law does not apply to discussions with the subject of Hitler and fascism.

regarding_mussolini.png

There is nothing controversial about Hitler. He was a homicidal maniac who is unsurpassed in the amount of damage he has done.

The only controversial thing is ignorant people using inappropriate hitler comparisons as a discussion tool.

There is nothing controversial about Hitler. He was a homicidal maniac who is unsurpassed in the amount of damage he has done.

The only controversial thing is ignorant people using inappropriate hitler comparisons as a discussion tool.

Hardly. The low side of Stalin's death toll on the Russians is 20,000,000. That was a Soviet estimate. Most realistic estimates put the number at 30,000,000-40,000,000 and this does not include the WWII death toll. Mao? About 45,000,000. Right there you have a death toll that exceeds that of WWII attributed to communism and I have not even thrown in the smaller states- North Korea, Cambodia, Cuba... all the others. Ironically while we rightly would be offended by someone wearing a Hitler t-shirt we think nothing of a Che or Mao t-shirt. Some of my most ardently leftist friends are descended from Jews who fled Stalin's persecution.:confused:
Communism is so chic Jay Carney has communist posters in his kitchen.

Last edited:
Citing Godwin's Law can be overdone. We don't want to forget the lessons of history, and especially the gradual slide into totalitarianism that has been experienced by others. On the other hand, we shouldn't exaggerate similarities to Nazi Germany. It seems to be a matter of personal judgment as to when comparisons become excessive.

Citing Godwin's Law can be overdone. We don't want to forget the lessons of history, and especially the gradual slide into totalitarianism that has been experienced by others. On the other hand, we shouldn't exaggerate similarities to Nazi Germany. It seems to be a matter of personal judgment as to when comparisons become excessive.

Any time we give the central state excessive power at the expense of personal liberty we risk sliding into totalitarianism, especially a large country that tries to force disparate communities to conform to the ideology of a remote ruling class.

Any time we give the central state excessive power at the expense of personal liberty we risk sliding into totalitarianism, especially a large country that tries to force disparate communities to conform to the ideology of a remote ruling class.

But this time it's different.

Hardly. The low side of Stalin's death toll on the Russians is 20,000,000. That was a Soviet estimate. Most realistic estimates put the number at 30,000,000-40,000,000 and this does not include the WWII death toll. Mao? About 45,000,000. Right there you have a death toll that exceeds that of WWII attributed to communism and I have not even thrown in the smaller states- North Korea, Cambodia, Cuba... all the others. Ironically while we rightly would be offended by someone wearing a Hitler t-shirt we think nothing of a Che or Mao t-shirt. Some of my most ardently leftist friends are descended from Jews who fled Stalin's persecution.:confused:
Communism is so chic Jay Carney has communist posters in his kitchen.

Some of my ardently right wing friends dont believe anything that comes out of the soviet union, except for that number..

Stalin wasn't a nice guy by any stretch, but most of the numbers cited on how many people he killed were wildly inflated by successive soviet regimes. For example, the number of people who went through the GULAG system during Stalins time was between 1 and 2 million, and most of those left alive. It was a system of political prisoner camps, not an attempt at eradicating a particular ethnic group. It is not like he was above doing that, but the groups he targeted were smaller, like the Tartars and Kozaks. The largest number of noncombatant deaths were related to Stalins inept economic policies, not the industrialized murder Hitlers henchmen inflicted on the jews of the occupied territories.

More recent scholarly work on the 'who was the biggest murderer' question puts them about even, Stalin at 9, Hitler at 12million (excluding WW2).

More recent scholarly work on the 'who was the biggest murderer' question puts them about even, Stalin at 9, Hitler at 12million (excluding WW2).

And Mao kicks both their asses by a wide margin.

Leftist totalitarian government always end in mass murder.

And Mao kicks both their asses by a wide margin.

Says one researcher.

Th bulk of both Mao and Stalins numbers are the results of famines. Some of this was intentional, some of it the result of climate events. The equivalent of attributing the flu deaths of 1918 to president Wilson.

Says one researcher.

Th bulk of both Mao and Stalins numbers are the results of famines. Some of this was intentional, some of it the result of climate events. The equivalent of attributing the flu deaths of 1918 to president Wilson.

Saying the famines were just caused by climate is like saying those who died in the North Korean famines died because of the climate. Yes... but no. They were preventable deaths caused by autocratic regimes. It is actually estimated that 40-45% of the famine deaths have been caused by autocratic progressive regimes.
"For example, for the Soviet Famine during 1932-33, which killed up to 6.5 million people in just one year (Davies and Wheatcroft, 2004), there is a consensus that high government procurement from rural areas caused the famine."

The Institutional Causes of China’s Great Famine, 1959-1961. Xin Meng Nancy Qian Pierre Yared. July 31, 2013

But this time it's different.

Funny. I was told the same thing by a Venezuelan about Chavez in the late 1990s. I did not understand, this time it was different and he "represented the people". One of the great lies of politicians.
I lost contact with him soon after. I just recently heard he fled Venezuela with his family to the US a few years ago.

Some of this was intentional, some of it the result of climate events.
Climate events, really? Sounds like a bad joke. The Ukrainian famine of 1932/33 was all man-made and was responsible for nearly 5-7 mln deaths. Also the more primitive economy, the more "collectivized" the more susceptible to any "climate" events.

This is just under Stalin, because disastrous policies started under Lenin, lets not forget that it was Lenin who started the so called Red Terror and laid foundations for all the misery that followed.

The largest number of noncombatant deaths were related to Stalins inept economic policies,
Lets not forget that there were also totally inept "military" policies during WWII. 2/3 of all WWII casualties in the USSR are attributed to direct German actions, 1/3 to either inept Soviet policies or actually Soviets directly targeting their own citizens for various "punishments" or "retributions".

Also, there were countless victims that survived but their lives were simply ruined, lets not forget about that.

Last edited:
Climate events, really? Sounds like a bad joke. The Ukrainian famine of 1932/33 was all man-made and was responsible for nearly 5-7 mln deaths. Also the more primitive economy, the more "collectivized" the more susceptible to any "climate" events.

This is just under Stalin, because disastrous policies started under Lenin, lets not forget that it was Lenin who started the so called Red Terror and laid foundations for all the misery that followed.

That it was all man-made is the ukranian nationalist interpretation of events (just like some believe tha the british, not a fungus caused the irish potato famine). There is no doubt that the upheaval collectivization brought along together with blatant mismanagement caused some of the harvest shortfall during those years, but there is also data that depending on the region, there was a shortfall in precipitation between 10-48% of average.

There have 100eds of famines in Russia under the Tzars, Lenin and yes Stalin. Growing small-grains in central asia is for the most part a dryland agriculture. You sow and pray for rain. If the rain comes at the right time, you have a harvest, if it comes too late, you have nothing. No different from the wheat agriculture in central ND, SD and parts of Nebraska. The only reason we dont see people starving today is that have on one hand irrigation agriculture to stabilize supplies and on the other hand the international commodity trading system and crop insurance to buffer the effects of bad harvests.

At the risk of sounding like an old fart, you haven't been here long enough to even "get" what this thread is about.

My insincere apologies if your delicate sensibilities were impacted.

Back