So I need to learn slips...

This past weekend I put my family through the wringer on their first foward slip adventure. ATC, of course, left me pretty high close to home. I compounded the problem when I said "Hmm, no traffic in the pattern, let's just do a left base entry and get home." Since I was in the stratosphere on short final, idle, with full flaps, I had 2 choices: 1) go around and 2) slip 'er on in. I wasn't in the mood for (1), so I announced to the Pax (primarily for my wife's benefit) what I was going to do, what it was going to look and feel like, then started on down. She said her heart started beating normally again once we were on the taxiway.:redface:

My copilot, my almost 8yr old daughter, said "Great landing daddy!!" (and it was, a greaser!)

LOL!

Good for you!

I had my dad and his friend on board for an "Intro to IMC" flight this weekend.

I demonstrated a CTL and kept it tight (rainy, low vis, etc).

I dropped it in with a combination 180 descending, slipping, power off, 40 degree flap, turn with touchdown into a right crosswind.

I was about 5 MPH faster than I wanted to be once I leveled the wings about 100' AGL, but, all in all felt good.

Gotta love the slip....:yes:

I never found any reason why I thought I wanted to do any more than a 1/2 turn spin in the Tomahawk.
How about getting someone their CFI spin endorsement?
My discussions with pilots that have spun it lead me to believe the problem was more from the fact that it came out of the spin almost too easily but in a very nose low condition.
Most of what I've read on the subject suggests that a Tomahawk requires positive anti-spin controls to recover, while the 150/152 merely require relaxation of the pro-spin controls. In addition, there are cases on record of the aircraft not recovering at all using book procedures, including one in which the instructor and trainee were able to break the spin only by unstrapping and leaning forward over the glare shield to move the cg forward enough to get the nose down. This is what led Dr. Lowery to investigate the aircraft.

In addition, there are cases on record of the aircraft not recovering at all using book procedures, including one in which the instructor and trainee were able to break the spin only by unstrapping and leaning forward over the glare shield to move the cg forward enough to get the nose down. This is what led Dr. Lowery to investigate the aircraft.

:eek:

Yikes!

Back