So I just got offered $1k to relocate a car

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
I may be heading to San Antonio from OKC this weekend and made a post that I had some room available to transport stuff in my truck. I just go an email saying they'd pay me $1,000 to tow a Bronco II from OKC to the San Antonio airport. What does this sound like to you? Reckon it's full of coke?

I may be heading to San Antonio from OKC this weekend and made a post that I had some room available to transport stuff in my truck. I just go an email saying they'd pay me $1,000 to tow a Bronco II from OKC to the San Antonio airport. What does this sound like to you? Reckon it's full of coke?

Sounds to me like they need their Bronco II moved to San Antonio.

Crazy, I know... :rolleyes:

Why do you suspect something illegal?

Because they are offering to pay a grand for a service one can easily get done for $400?

It is a Bronco II so that should work. It will be located at . . . Friday Morning by 7am. Please pick it up no later than 12pm Friday. You will find the keys in a Hide A Key underneath the left rear wheel well. Unscrew the license plate and you will find $1,000 duct taped to the bumper. This should suffice as payment. I have a flight to catch at 630am so it will not be possible for me to be there to meet you. You seem like a nice guy and I trust you will be able to deliver the vehicle to the SA Airport. Please check in the Bronco at the airport parking and place the parking entry ticket in the glove box. That should complete your job.

This was the email I got from him after my one response saying i only have a two wheel car dolly. Just seems... odd

Because they are offering to pay a grand for a service one can easily get done for $400?

So the O.P. found the not-so-rare combination of stupidity and money. Good for him!

Lot's of people don't think $1000 is real money anymore, and probably don't know they could get it done for $400.

Or, on the other hand, perhaps, the Bronco's body is made of solid cocaine... :D

Yeah. Spidey-sense all tingly.

It is a Bronco II so that should work. It will be located at . . . Friday Morning by 7am. Please pick it up no later than 12pm Friday. You will find the keys in a Hide A Key underneath the left rear wheel well. Unscrew the license plate and you will find $1,000 duct taped to the bumper. This should suffice as payment. I have a flight to catch at 630am so it will not be possible for me to be there to meet you. You seem like a nice guy and I trust you will be able to deliver the vehicle to the SA Airport. Please check in the Bronco at the airport parking and place the parking entry ticket in the glove box. That should complete your job.

This was the email I got from him after my one response saying i only have a two wheel car dolly. Just seems... odd

Okay, that's pretty odd.

Okay, that's REALLY odd.

Bring the drug-sniffing dogs...

It could be folks from Mexico buying it. Every so often you see a convoy of them headed down for Mexico. I might check with the local Police Department and ask 'em what they think... If they think it's OK, why not make a buck!
Oh, and welcome to San Antonio.

Ryan

It could be folks from Mexico buying it. Every so often you see a convoy of them headed down for Mexico. I might check with the local Police Department and ask 'em what they think... If they think it's OK, why not make a buck!

Ryan

Yeah, like Ryan says.

And, hey, you'll only be 2 hours from the island, by car. Might as well bring your new-found 1 AMU here, and **** it away on motel rooms and cheap liquor... :D

Ryan

I was thinking about that. I wondered if it would be unreasonable to have them come check it out before I'm attached to it. Maybe run the plates and bring the dog :dunno:. Also, the address I deleted is a strip club haha.

The IP address from the emails is in OKC though. But not anywhere near the pick up location.

I'm just down for the day and then back to OK Sat. morning. If not I'd be buy to get some time in that 210 :)

What's that guy to believe that you wouldn't just go over there and take the $1000.00 and simply not bother to tow the vehicle. He's being pretty stupid/trusting

Not that you aren't trustworthy...:) but does he know you?

What are you towing with? (what does a new tranny cost?)

2004 Ram 1500. It's towed heavier. I don't push very hard either so it should handle it. If it's a problem I have a friend here I'm sure would borrow me a truck for some of that 1k haha.

What are you hauling with and what's that, $3 a mile? How did they choose ou, is this your business?

Do they have a shortage of worn out trucks in Texas?

Seriously, as a lifetime cop, this is a smuggler trying to throw this off on you. You are what's called a 'cutout'. If you get caught, there's nothing for the cops to track back to anyone else.

One of the things that we learn to look for is things that don't make sense. A semi full of old furniture going from Denver to Chicago. What, the Goodwill stores have a shortage of worn out, second hand furniture in Chicago?
A car carrier with a bunch of junk cars going from Brownsville to New Orleans. What, there's a shortage of junkyard cars in N.O.?

A Bronco II is barely worth a thousand bucks. Someone's up to something. Do you want to take that chance?

What's that guy to believe that you wouldn't just go over there and take the $1000.00 and simply not bother to tow the vehicle. He's being pretty stupid/trusting

Not that you aren't trustworthy...:) but does he know you?

That's because someone will be watching. Someone you don't want to meet.

How much would bail for a 'possession of stolen property' type arrest typically be ? About a thousand I guess.

What are you hauling with and what's that, $3 a mile? How did they choose ou, is this your business?

I forgot to say that part. Good point. I made a post on the OKC craigslist that I had space and a trailer going to San Antonio this weekend. Trying to make some use of these 18mpg I'm stuck with.

And it's only $2.14/mi :D :wink2:

Last edited:

Or my guy for a bit less. I get salvage auction cars brought from OKC to Denton, TX for $150 each and from SAT for $200.

If its going south, its full of money, not drugs! Pick it up and choose your own profit margin!

(I wouldn't touch such a deal with a 10ft pole...but I am pretty conservative)

Ryan

You'd be amazed how many cars get sold at Copart (www.copart.com) and Insurance Auto Auction (www.iaai.com) by south of the border buyers. One buyer I know of gets at least 30-50 vehicles a week from the DFW locations alone.

If its going south, its full of money, not drugs! Pick it up and choose your own profit margin!

Mh, that may put you at a slight risk of ending up somewhere in the desert with your head cut off.

A car carrier with a bunch of junk cars going from Brownsville to New Orleans. What, there's a shortage of junkyard cars in N.O.?

I get your point, but often I get better deals for the invnetory I need for my auto recycling business at auctions in other states. Frequently buying outside of Texas is less expensive than buying same yr/make/model/condition in the DFW locations. Even when I include cost of transpo. Mainly because of the Mexico buyers Ryan mentioned driving up the prices.

I'd be wary of anything you find/get handed to you through craigslist that sounds too good to be true. I've discovered more than a few who've tried to dupe me.

I'm late to the party, but nope... makes no sense. Frankly I wouldn't call it in, either... they know who they told where the thing is parked... much as I'd like to be a "Good Citizen", no.

I'm late to the party, but nope... makes no sense. Frankly I wouldn't call it in, either... they know who they told where the thing is parked... much as I'd like to be a "Good Citizen", no.
Turn down the job ("Sorry, my trailer just can't handle that weight") and tell the cops/Feds to put a watch on the vehicle but not move on it until it gets to its destination. Of course, the local cops are going to want to jump on it right away so they can get their portion of the drug money, but ...

Seems legit to me.

free_candy.jpg

This sounds like a movie script.

I'd probably call the cops and tell them the story, but still tell them I'm gonna try and get the $1000 out of the deal. They can seize the car, and "arrest" me after I get the $1000. They get the drugs (money), I get the $1000, and it looks like I went to jail for it so I won't be tailed by whoever set me up.

Do they have a shortage of worn out trucks in Texas?

Seriously, as a lifetime cop, this is a smuggler trying to throw this off on you. You are what's called a 'cutout'. If you get caught, there's nothing for the cops to track back to anyone else.

One of the things that we learn to look for is things that don't make sense. A semi full of old furniture going from Denver to Chicago. What, the Goodwill stores have a shortage of worn out, second hand furniture in Chicago?

A Bronco II is barely worth a thousand bucks. Someone's up to something. Do you want to take that chance?

A mile away from me similar trucks are pulling up to ships to disgorge this junk in the Bahamas, Cuba Haiti and all through the Caribbean and Central America. They sail with racks of rust bicycles lashed to the rails. The amount of "low end" trade that goes on is incredible. People actually go around the country buying used up junk to export to third world countries, amazing but true. Ships are incredibly economical at hauling large loads of crap.

Why that particular vehicle is going to San Antonio is another question, but $3 a mile isn't over the top if you're trailering it.

This sounds like a movie script.

I'd probably call the cops and tell them the story, but still tell them I'm gonna try and get the $1000 out of the deal. They can seize the car, and "arrest" me after I get the $1000. They get the drugs (money), I get the $1000, and it looks like I went to jail for it so I won't be tailed by whoever set me up.

Ehhhhh.... Depends. If it is a drug transport deal, you may very well be dealling with people who don't care. They're tweeked out and paranoid and will come after you anyway.

OTOH, as to Alan's point, "Why would they be hauling dope from Kansas to San Antone?" "Don't they have enough tweek labs in TX?"

I'd say it's a 50:50 chance it's a cutout. Most "cutouts" aren't actually done with a person with no knowledge. They are set up so that there is evidence and a credible story of non involvement.

Yeah. Spidey-sense all tingly.

Likewise. I wouldn't touch this one personally.

It could be any of...
drugs
money
weapons headed for Mexico
stolen car
explosives/car bomb
other contraband

And the owner won't meet you? Or give you any paperwork to show that the tow's legit?

Nope, too much risk for me.

Likewise. I wouldn't touch this one personally.

It could be any of...
drugs
money
weapons headed for Mexico
stolen car
explosives/car bomb
other contraband

And the owner won't meet you? Or give you any paperwork to show that the tow's legit?

Nope, too much risk for me.

Why not just inspect the load, you find something and it's "$1000 my a--, $10k" and at least make the drive worthwhile. If it's coke hit for $25k.

Only in the movies Transporter did he have a policy of not looking at the cargo (which he broke).

Sounds fishy. I'd agree to do it, then take this to your local PD, and have them go with you to the vehicle with a drug team. If it's bogus, file for any reward. If the vehicle's clean, I'd take the money and think about delivering the car.

This COULD be a sting operation if you don't know the vehicle owner personally (or even if you do), and it would be much better to meet the DEA agents with local law enforcement by your side.

Sounds fishy. I'd agree to do it, then take this to your local PD, and have them go with you to the vehicle with a drug team. If it's bogus, file for any reward. If the vehicle's clean, I'd take the money and think about delivering the car.
This COULD be a sting operation if you don't know the vehicle owner personally (or even if you do), and it would be much better to meet the DEA agents with local law enforcement by your side.

or...you could just have a nice quiet drive down to San Antonio without all the hassles/potential hassles.

Where's the adventure in that?

Agreed.

I wouldn't go pickup the car without some sort of backup or something. Maybe see if a plainclothes officer will ride with you to pick up the truck.

Last edited:

Who duct tapes $1000 to a car, leaves it parked in a strip club, and arranges for a random stranger from the internet to pick it up? Seriously, does anyone here consider that a normal way to carry out a deal?
I wonder if the guy even realizes that this is weird. I'm guessing that some people who make a living doing shady deals end up losing perspective on what is considered normal and just assume this sort of thing is typical of how people do business every day.

Side note - and i may be reading too much into this - but the guy has a 6:30 flight, and the car will be there 'by 7am'. Why so late? If he's dropping off the car, it would have to be there long before 7 if he's going to make his flight. Specifying 'by 7' doesn't make any sense with his supposed time frame. If someone else is dropping off the car, why can't they meet you?

Back