So I bought another old Bonanza

brian]

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
brian]
Back in 2013, I finally decided that working 90 or so hours a week was not “living”. Yea, it wasn’t digging a ditch (did that), but it was about time to do something for “me”. Yea, there were personal implications that go beyond this conversation. However, I had a pilots license and the desire. WHY NOT?!

The goal was a piper 140. Something basic. No frills, but IFR capable would be nice. And I flew a few. The manual flaps are COOL! Good aircraft. After talking with a guy selling a Piper 140, I setup to fly the aircraft and see if it was what I wanted to buy. Unfortunately, it sold a few hours before I got to the airport. Dang.

But he did have a 1948 Beechcraft Bonanza for sale. As a kid growing up in Kansas, “Bonanza” pretty much meant “Cadillac”. Well, yea, I wanted to give it a try! I would have to come back as he had to contact the owner to arrange the flight. The day of the flight, I found my old LightSpeed headset. I hadn’t been flying a lot and it was a mess. Sometimes working. Other times the ANR would cut out. Fiddling with it was frustrating. My wife was with me and we got her a good headset and we boarded the Bonanza for the test flight. Man, that headset was just not cooperating - good thing I was right seat and the seller was flying. “Positive rate, gear up!” What? Wait.. where is the noise as the headset was clearly not working. This old “beater Bonanza” was in the air?!! There isn’t enough noise. not enough vibration. So I looked up and, yea, we were climbing! That old Bonanza was pretty much sold on takeoff.

IMG_0601.jpg

Over the next several years, I spent a lot of cash on that old “beater Bonanza”. Was kinda fun, and I could see taking another forgotten aircraft back to the air once I retire. It was both frustrating when it was time to spend time/money and enjoyable when cruising at 8500 in full style.

But it was not to be - we missed one very small part - a rod end that retired on take off one day. I set the aircraft on it’s nose and had to turn the keys over to the insurance company … sad day.

IMG_0759.jpg

Unfortunately, things got complicated with an unrelated medical event. Turned out to be nothing, but kept me grounded for a while. During that time I decided that if I ever purchased another aircraft it would be more modern than that old beater Bonanza. Maybe a later model 35 - or maybe a 36. Conversations with my wife slowly cleared up a few things. In short - she could care less about an airplane. She is totally ok with me flying and has no problem using “our” airplane for transportation. But that is about it.

Anyway, I noticed an A35 I recognized from an instructor I had flown with in the past. Learned a bit from him, but … NO I needed a later model 35. Not sure why, but a local N35 was a good candidate. So was an M35. Maybe a K35 I had seen before. I just needed to get through some work related travel to arrange some time to see these airplanes. So I started learning about the later model V-Tails. Different critters than the early models. Lot of good points, but it seems that a lot of them spend more time in the hangar than in the air. Sad.. But there was that A35 I knew was flying …

… well if it wasn’t flying - it sure was appearing - EVERYWHERE. EAA ads. ABS website …

To cut this short - well, I bought that airplane!

IMG_1590.jpg

What is it like riding inside a work of art? Pretty much what you would expect - absolutely stunning! Oh, and the curtains DO have a purpose. When I was flying my wife to Gastons a few weeks ago, she said she was getting hot. Liking what I was hearing I looked over. But it wasn’t me, it was highly polished ALCLAD that was illuminating her with a lot of help from the sun. I said “why don’t you pull the curtain so we can get close?” She pulled the curtain and cooled off - darn…

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 11.21.18 PM.png

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 3.53.07 PM.png

So now it is first annual time. I wanted to spend a little time with the previous owner (and A&P) learning a little more about the oldies. But a mixup in timing blew that possibility. So I’m taking the aircraft on Monday to a local A&P/IA that is very familiar with old Bonanzas. The good news is that he is about my age - so if we develop a working relationship I’ll have a good local resource for my oldie. But there is that apprehension during the first annual. Anyway, I’ve spent a good number of hours over the past couple of weekends cleaning things (no polishing yet) preparing for the annual. Sure is tempting not to fly that old aircraft as I’m pretty sure it keeps whispering in a Marilyn Monroe voice, “Hey little boy, since I’m already naked - why don’t we go have a little fun?!” Knowing there is a DPE on field does kinda throw some cold water on that thought …

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 11.27.06 PM.png

The only thing I’ve learned about flying is the following: do it while you can - it is just a matter of time before you can’t. And never mind the bozos that never figure this out….

IMG_1678.jpg

Last edited:
Jesus. That's simply beautiful.

You don't own a plane like that; you curate it.

I hope I get to fly in it soon!

Jesus. That's simply beautiful.

You don't own a plane like that; you curate it.

I hope I get to fly in it soon!

Say - if I remember you V was getting a new engine or a panel a few years ago. How did it go? Back in the air?

Say - if I remember you V was getting a new engine or a panel a few years ago. How did it go? Back in the air?

Well, yeah.

The prior engine had a case crack, one bad enough to curl your hair. Got another engine, it took forever to get installed, but it has been back flying for about a year and a half. No "new panel," but I sprang for an EI MVP-50 while getting the engine in, and I love that. And, just upgraded from Garmin 430W to an Avidyne IFD440, because... well, because.

Because I love my Bo!

I was wondering how the V tail acts with a moderate to strong cross wind? Does it have pedals that control the tail, or is it strictly controlled with a link to the ailerons? Nice BO by the way, to bad about the first one.

Last edited:
Super Brian! Thanks for the write-up. Always enjoy reading these.

That Bo looks like a show piece. Congrats!

I was wondering how the V tail acts with a moderate to strong cross wind? Does it have pedals that control the tail, or is it strictly controlled with a link to the ailerons?

I'm no guru, but I hear the V and straight tail Bonanzas pretty much behave the same. What I do know is the bonanza is the best crosswind aircraft I've ever flown. Makes sense as it was designed and produced in Wichita Kansas- and they say Chicago is the Windy City.

Love the old Bonanza and they sound great too! Get performance from a sturdy classic and their going rate makes them very attractive!

Beautiful plane! :yesnod::yes: Congratulations to your new ride.

Love the old Bo's. Hope you can keep this one in the air and shiny.
I'm slowly understanding the nuvite polishing process. A lot of work, but not as bad as I thought.

Congratulations...:cheers: She's a beauty... Keep her shiny and enjoy her... I'm sure you're going to get lots of attention everywhere you go...:goofy:

Gorgeous! Congrats!

Fly while you can is right, Brian. Better not to put it off too long :).

More pics from the Gastons trip...
(Ever notice when one V-Tail shows up, more follow?!)

IMG_1647.JPG

IMG_1717.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

Congrats and great story! I remember when you lost the first Bo.
What are your plans/experience on parts (engine and prop) as I am being told to not look at anything older than an H model due to availability.

Congrats and great story! I remember when you lost the first Bo.
What are your plans/experience on parts (engine and prop) as I am being told to not look at anything older than an H model due to availability.

I know nothing of really old bos and if the discount they carry has more to do with useful load and airspeed than maintenance costs due to parts availability, but it has been my experience when asking about parts availability as a legitimate aspect of consideration when looking into a type, most owners get defensive and circle the wagons and tell you it's a nothing burger. usually I take that in the affirmative. people take this s#it too personal.
fact remains not all of us participants in this hobby want to be curators. dispatch rate matters to some of us as an ownership metric. part availability or specialty mx needs aren't generally compatible with out of sight out of mind dispatch needs. to each their own.

For the 35's - look at it this way:
-35 - G35 (1947-1956) - "E" Series bonanzas
H35 (1957) - First 470 bonanza
J35-V35B - missing a lot of detail here, but the modern bonanza.

The E Series bonanzas are good aircraft. The big issue is the engine prop combination makes finding parts a pain. Once you understand what you have, it is an amazing aircraft. But be ready to be a full participant during annual. If something breaks, your A&P/IA will likely be asking you if you know where to get a replacement part.
--> DO NOT BUY THESE BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAP. LEARN WHAT YOU ARE GETTING INTO FIRST.

H35 - No expert, but I hear the carb is a PIA when it fails.

J35 on - these are modern aircraft in every way. They fly from 160KTS to 200KTS for the later turbo versions.
--> Prices range from $60K to north of $300K (no kidding). You gets what you pay for though...

I know nothing of really old bos and if the discount they carry has more to do with useful load and airspeed than maintenance costs due to parts availability, but it has been my experience when asking about parts availability as a legitimate aspect of consideration when looking into a type, most owners get defensive and circle the wagons and tell you it's a nothing burger. usually I take that in the affirmative. people take this s#it too personal.
fact remains not all of us participants in this hobby want to be curators. dispatch rate matters to some of us as an ownership metric. part availability or specialty mx needs aren't generally compatible with out of sight out of mind dispatch needs. to each their own.

Actually, I'm (hopefully) positioning myself for dual ownership. This A35 does have some "legs" (for travel), but is definitely the "for the heck of it" aircraft. Right now, I could really use a TBM (or similar), but can't afford it.

But yea, it does seem like some owners don't really own up to the reality that an aircraft "means" different things to different people...

Back