• 1920s

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MSPAviator

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
MSPAviator
So with all the talk about lack of new blood and the "old guys" fading away, my question is simply... how old are we really?

I have split my poll by decade, from 1990 to 1920. I figure the youngest certificated pilot among us would have to have been born in 1995 at this moment, is there anybody that young around here? This IS the Internet!

For the purpose of the poll, please choose which decade you were born in.

I'm 22 or 23..

I can't see the poll. I'll vote from the hotel tonight.

Last edited:
Old enough to not give a rip any more.

Born early 70s. Learned to fly early 90s. Left flying on the shelf for almost a decade. Came back in the mid 10s.

Can't do the poll easily from Tapatalk/iPhone. Might look for the thread later on a "real" computer...

Another interesting poll, how many years flying.
Born 1956,
Learned to fly, 1974
37 years and still flying

Born in 1962 so I am 49. Learned to fly in 1998 and have been doing so on and off for the past 13 years.

Should we rename this place "Geezers of America"?

Fits with the "Front porch" concept...

Learned to fly in the '70s. Pretty much hung it up in the early '80s. Got retreaded in 2010.

Last edited:
Eventually, someone should contrast these self-reported demographics with the US population (with apologies to our non-US POA members).

Born in '83, starting learning to fly in '02 took a break started again in '08 passed checkride in '09 been flying ever since.

I started lessons as a teenager in 1988, didn't finish, came back twenty years later. Now I'm almost ready for the IR checkride.

you don't know how old you are?

born in '87

It's not impossible for someone to not know their actual age. I know a lovely young woman who was adopted. Her birth records are unavailable.

Eventually, someone should contrast these self-reported demographics with the US population (with apologies to our non-US POA members).
Birth rate in the US

Birth_Rate_in_USA_1934-2004.PNG

It's not impossible for someone to not know their actual age. I know a lovely young woman who was adopted. Her birth records are unavailable.

Heck..... That's easy to fix...

1- Get a chain saw and cut her leg off 1/2 between the knee and the thigh

2- Count the skin rings and multiply by 1.254

3- Call 911 if the bleeding is profuse.

:nonod::nonod::nono::no::yikes::rolleyes:

Born in 1934, learned to fly in 1980, and have been flying ever since. 31 years of flying. with a 3year break in 1992 to put my 182 newly restored.
I will be 77 the 20th of this month (Dec.)

Born in 1952. Passed my PP ride in 2001. My kids would say I'm old, but I see others here make me look young. I love you guys! :D

Born 1959, certificate 1987

Born early 70s. Learned to fly early 90s. Left flying on the shelf for almost a decade. Came back in the mid 10s.

That sounds awfully familiar although I had two major breaks from 95-2000 and again from 2003-09. Bought our plane in Oct 2009.

I'm 24 - private pilot at 17.

Born early '60s, solod '79. got my ticket in 2001 :rolleyes:

Born in '84. Started flying 4 years and 1700 hours ago.

Born in the mid 70s, took my first Discovery Flight in '87, got my Private in '92.

Born '81.
First time to Oshkosh Airventure '07
Demo flight '08
Solo '09
PP '10
Tailwheel endorsed '10
First time FLYING to Oshkosh '11
Complex endorsed '11

:D

My English Grandma applied for her pension when she reached 65. The government wanted a copy of her birth cert to prove her age. She didn't have it; she wrote to the girl's school in London (where she was raised as an orphan) to see if they had it. They did, they sent it, she was shocked to see she was 68. She was very small and someone at the school must have made some assumptions early on as to her age.

And the government refused to pay the pension retroactively. That made her even more disgusted.

Dan

I'm 25, in hexadecimal.

The results of the poll, though... Whoo-ee, we as a community are old!

Mature

Wise

Seasoned

Venerable

Experienced

but not "old"

Although many posts may be viewed as supporting some of these assertions, many of the posts, particularly from some of the senior board members do not.

Back