So, guess who’s a CFI now!

Whoooo hooo! Congrats!

Students are awesome!
Also, students do incomprehensible things, so be ready! :)

Nice job, seems like a rating that could really put you through the wringer.

Buckled down and took the 15 day course at Thrust Flight at KADS. Took longer than the 15 days of course, but passed my checkride on the first attempt!

Yea me!

Congrats!

How long did it end up taking you? Did they schedule the check ride for you too?

Looking forward to scaring the pant's off of you as I work toward CPL and CFI

Whoooo hooo! Congrats!

Students are awesome!

Yeah, I was a skydiving instructor for about 12 years. Those knuckleheads tried to kill me a few time. I figure pilot students'll do the same thing

Nice job, seems like a rating that could really put you through the wringer.

Yeah, it really was. I think it was one of the hardest things ive done all in all, but very satisfying.

Congrats!

How long did it end up taking you? Did they schedule the check ride for you too?

Well, all told, I 'prepped' for probably 6 months, but some of that was just screwing around with different possible avenues to get started. Once I signed up for the course I prepped for the course for 2 or 3 weeks prior, the course was June 1 - 15, and I had my checkride on July 9.

They didnt schedule the checkride but they provided a list of local DPE's and the guy that owns Thrust Flight, Patrick Arenzen, is a DPE himself. I went with Patrick because I'd done 2 other 'rides with him and knew what I was getting in to.

Looking forward to scaring the pant's off of you as I work toward CPL and CFI

LOL, looking forward to it!

So, guess who’s a CFI now!

This guy.?? :lol::lol:

th

Good job.!!

Now go out and learn a new type of fear.!!

They didnt schedule the checkride but they provided a list of local DPE's and the guy that owns Thrust Flight, Patrick Arenzen, is a DPE himself. I went with Patrick because I'd done 2 other 'rides with him and knew what I was getting in to.

Is this the new stuff where FSDO doesn’t assign a DPE for an initial CFI ride or were they just nice and gave a list to choose from?

Around here our FAA guy who usually does that doesn’t give a list. He assigns a specific DPE and changing it isn’t really appreciated unless there’s a massive scheduling problem.

I ended up with our local DPE who’s known to be “tough but fair” and failed the oral first time out for valid reasons, then rescheduled with him and passed after my head was on straight. In all, a solidly good experience.

But some get assigned the “difficult” DPE(s) that have, shall we say, odd behaviors. Ha. I was very happy to get the guy I got. He’s solid and expects good teaching out of his CFI initial candidates and makes it clear it’s a very important ride.

Is this the new stuff where FSDO doesn’t assign a DPE for an initial CFI ride or were they just nice and gave a list to choose from?

It is no longer necessary to contact the FSDO for an initial CFI checkride. Just schedule with the DPE of your choice that can do the checkride. I don't remember when it changed but it has been that way for at least a year now.

It is no longer necessary to contact the FSDO for an initial CFI checkride. Just schedule with the DPE of your choice that can do the checkride. I don't remember when it changed but it has been that way for at least a year now.

Yeah that’s what I wondered. Changed at that same time they lifted the cross-FSDO restrictions. Cool.

Another thing future generations will never know the fear of. Haha. “Not that guy. Not that guy. Not that guy...” lol

Congrats! Watch the students switch the fuel selector so they don’t turn the fuel off and have the engine quit on base to final turn when they are dragging it in low.

A student with 100 hours I just started flying with did this Monday. I was able to get the engine fired back up about 75 feet off the deck.

I asked him why he was so low on his base and he said because the engine doesn’t have any power. I guess it never crossed his mind to tell me. It was like he was in a trance and was just sitting there frozen. I think he would have just flew it into the ground if I didn’t say something. He did this after we just spent a whole lesson on Emergency maneuvers.
I’m seriously contemplating telling him he needs to find a new hobby.

You guys need to read this book. After the difficulties of achieving CFI status and surviving attempted death by students, you need a laugh. Click the image to get serials on Amazon.

upload_2019-7-23_21-59-47.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-23_21-59-3.jpeg
    upload_2019-7-23_21-59-3.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 10
Whoooo hooo! Congrats!

Students are awesome!

Last week:

"Okay we've messed that one up pretty good, lets go around and try again"
"Full power"
"Full power"
"Full power"

"uh okay"

Student reaches over to retract flaps

"no no no no no"

Now I know why Cessna puts the flap handle in front of the right seat

When did that start? Must have been the same time tailwheel airplanes suddenly became impossible to fly without an endorsement and complex airplanes were no longer required for the Commercial Airplane flight test....

When did that start? Must have been the same time tailwheel airplanes suddenly became impossible to fly without an endorsement and complex airplanes were no longer required for the Commercial Airplane flight test....

As Denver mentioned, it happened at the same time the FAA lifted the DPE boundaries and the two test limit. I think it was last summer but I can’t remember now, I’m losing track of time.

The benefit of it being the way it is now is that you don’t have to sit and wait for a response from the FSDO, which always seemed to take a while in my area. Now it’s just a matter of scheduling with an examiner when you’re ready.

My CFI-A checkride was with the same DPE I had had for all my previous tests. It was .8 and done...

As Denver mentioned, it happened at the same time the FAA lifted the DPE boundaries and the two test limit. I think it was last summer but I can’t remember now, I’m losing track of time.

The benefit of it being the way it is now is that you don’t have to sit and wait for a response from the FSDO, which always seemed to take a while in my area. Now it’s just a matter of scheduling with an examiner when you’re ready.

My scheduling for my initial CFI ride took weeeeeeks and that was with my CFI calling the FSDO and hounding them regularly. He did NOT GAF and was totally annoyed with that process problem because he runs an accelerated program. Their delays could literally put him out of business. So he called and said so. Regularly. Ha.

Glad they killed it. We had already talked to multiple CFI initial qualified DPEs and ALL were ready to jam a CFI initial into their schedules as soon as the FSDO pulled a name out of their hat. You see... they charge more for those... hahaha.

Back