So Cal to Seattle - Route / Stopover?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Flying from So Cal (KWHP) to Seattle next week. My Cirrrus can almost make it non-stop with reserves, but my bladder probably can't (just over 4.5 hours).

Any suggestions on route or a lunch stopover point? Perhaps Reno? Or make it longer and hug the coast for better scenery?

This will be my longest IFR flight so far. Any suggestions appreciated!

Thank you.

Low over the coast and where ever looks clever

McMinnville, walk across the street and have lunch at the museum.

I prefer the inland route, basically follow 395 north into Ellensburg Wa. then hop over I-90 to Seattle. 99% better weather.

Nice, I have a friend who lives in Seattle who's been bugging me to come up to visit him.. I'm also torn on the coastal vs inland route

I've been leaning towards coastal on the way up for the scenery and then just straight shot more or less on the way back

You'll have to post up a trip report when you get back

Sacramento is about midway. The California State Railroad museum is 10 minutes from KSAC Sacramento executive if you're looking for a break.

Flying from So Cal (KWHP) to Seattle next week. My Cirrrus can almost make it non-stop with reserves, but my bladder probably can't (just over 4.5 hours).

Any suggestions on route or a lunch stopover point? Perhaps Reno? Or make it longer and hug the coast for better scenery?

This will be my longest IFR flight so far. Any suggestions appreciated!

Thank you.

Do you want to stay IFR all the way for the experience? Airport with Approaches? Red Bluff might be a good spot. It’s just about halfway. I did a pit stop there a few years ago. Restaurant right there next to the ramp. I had the truck gas me up while I was eating and could watch him do it. Nice quick turn around

Last edited:
When I've flown from NorCal to Seattle, Eugene is a nice stopover and has a little museum, the Oregon Air and Space museum, right there a short walk from the FBO.

if your going to stop in reno, stop just before at KMEV or KTRK. both have good little restaurants. just be very aware of density altitude at KTRK. typically after 2pm i wont take off out of truckee since DA can easily get to 9k feet. it is starting to cool off though.

also if you head up the east side of the sierras, i recommend staying east of mammoth. basically vgt direct to hth.

When I've flown from NorCal to Seattle, Eugene is a nice stopover and has a little museum, the Oregon Air and Space museum, right there a short walk from the FBO.

One of the founders or board members must be former Navy, they’ve got a T-34, A-4, and A-6 right there. Be aware that they aren’t open every day, so call and check before dropping in.

Last week, I got back from a week-and-a-half flying trip from the Bay Area to Washington, and the visibility was terrible, especially in Washington.

In general, the best route depends on the weather, and this summer, on where the fires are.

Salem, OR has a great airport restaurant. You can park right in front.

Back