SNF Pirep

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
This year, it's Mud N Fun. Quite interesting seeing the Pilatus folks plopping plywood into a mud bog in an effort to move a PC12 across 350 feet of muck. Main parking lot closed Tues and Wed because much of it was underwater. Took me 1 hr + just to park.

The show this year can be summed up in one word: underwhelming. Garmin synthetic vision. Garmin synthetic vision on Diamonds. Garmin synthetic vision on Cessnas, Garmin synthetic vision on ... well, you get the point. Interesting that it's a software only upgrade to the G1000 and yet clocks in as a $10K option. That's ridiculous.

Got some great info on the Cirrus jet, but you'll have to read an upcoming T&T for more. Saw a bunch of industry people for the first time since last OSH. Finished the show in 1.5 days, hung around a little, and then went home.

Lot's of Sun yesterday....
Parking lots still pretty wet...

Attachments

• IMG_0876.JPG
    IMG_0876.JPG
    848.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0871.JPG
    IMG_0871.JPG
    1,015.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0873.JPG
    IMG_0873.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0867.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0870.JPG
    IMG_0870.JPG
    735.7 KB · Views: 32
I'm heading down tomorrow. In spite of Ken's comment, I'm sure I'll find something there I can't live without. Should arrive around 10. I'll be in GAC camping area. Anyone wandering around there, if you see Mooney N57039, please stop by.

Watch yourself down there. That is where my plane got broken into and had it whole King Stack stolen.

Interesting. Must be the place to steal things. One year the CAP plane from up here got its avionics stolen at Sun N Fun too. The three pilots had to fly back avionics-less. From then on, the plane had to wear a cumbersome anti-theft lock over its radio stack that is a PITA to install and remove.

I can't make it to Sun N Fun this year... was invited to go there plus the Bahamas in a Turbo Arrow but couldn't afford a week's worth of expenses. Meanwhile it's nothing but Rain N Wind here this whole week. I went to Sun N Fun in 2006 so I will just close my eyes now and reminisce about napping under a wing on a hot and sunny afternoon...

I'm planning on being there tomorrow (Friday), but I'll be driving from Sarasota. We flew to Sarasota from Amelia (55J - Fernandina Beach) this morning, after watching some tennis at the Bausch & Lomb tournament and being chilly at the beach. It's much warmer here in Sarasota.

With all the flight cancellations on American I'm glad we weren't flying commercial anywhere (although we generally fly on AirTran).

We flew into FD22 on Sunday and waited under cold overcast skies until Wednesday to drive into Lakeland. Parking was a swamp with areas blocked off. No aircraft in the antique section just too wet. Everyone pushed into the camp under your wing section, near the swap meet tent, higher and a bit drier ground.

Homebuilts I would venture a guess of <100, Vans RV's, Glass Air's, Lancair's, and the occasional odd duck. Good news, no crowds in the vendor hangers. Bad news, less and less salvage dealers and old time grass roots builder displays of parts, used engines, and the like. Looking more and more like Oshkosh without having to pay for parking.

Still, it's a great place to be in early April every year and get pumped for the flying season ahead.

Here are a few pics

Attachments

• Sun-N-Fun 08_64.JPG
    Sun-N-Fun 08_64.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Sun-N-Fun 08_65.JPG
    Sun-N-Fun 08_65.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Sun-N-Fun 08_69.JPG
    Sun-N-Fun 08_69.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Sun-N-Fun 08_76.JPG
    Sun-N-Fun 08_76.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Sun-N-Fun 08_80.JPG
    Sun-N-Fun 08_80.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Sun-N-Fun 08_92.JPG
    Sun-N-Fun 08_92.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 12
  • Sun-N-Fun 08_93.JPG
    Sun-N-Fun 08_93.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Sun-N-Fun 08_98.JPG
    Sun-N-Fun 08_98.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Sun-N-Fun 08_99_38.JPG
    Sun-N-Fun 08_99_38.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 12
  • Sun-N-Fun 08_99_15.JPG
    Sun-N-Fun 08_99_15.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Sun-N-Fun 08_99_3.JPG
    Sun-N-Fun 08_99_3.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Sun-N-Fun 08_99_10.JPG
    Sun-N-Fun 08_99_10.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Sun-N-Fun 08_99_39.JPG
    Sun-N-Fun 08_99_39.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Sun-N-Fun 08_99_50.JPG
    Sun-N-Fun 08_99_50.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 12
If anyone is interested, when we flew to Florida we made a pit stop at Baxley, South Georgia (KBHC). What a nice FBOk, 100LL was $3.95 and complimentary dogs and burgers. While on the ground, we had our own little air show as two Apache Helicopters made a low pass across the field.

You may want to change your plans, land a little early and see what they're all about.

Gary

Interesting. Must be the place to steal things. One year the CAP plane from up here got its avionics stolen at Sun N Fun too. The three pilots had to fly back avionics-less. From then on, the plane had to wear a cumbersome anti-theft lock over its radio stack that is a PITA to install and remove.

I can't make it to Sun N Fun this year... was invited to go there plus the Bahamas in a Turbo Arrow but couldn't afford a week's worth of expenses. Meanwhile it's nothing but Rain N Wind here this whole week. I went to Sun N Fun in 2006 so I will just close my eyes now and reminisce about napping under a wing on a hot and sunny afternoon...
It apparently does happen a lot there. But the good news is the week after SNF there is a big sale on slightly used avionics on eBay and down around the Miami area. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

When the ones were stolen out of my plane the owner at that time flew to Sarasota and had a new stack put in. I bought the plane less than a year later with all new radios, GPS, DME, etc in it courtesy of his insurance.

Yesterday was a beautiful day Lakeland. Lots of people and airplanes.

1) Me smiling at the big thumb print someone left on the cowl of Andy's Tango. (just kidding Andy!)

2) What red-blooded American pilot doesn't dream of flying a P-51?

3) SBD Dauntless in front of the CAF tent.

4) Thunderbirds. The last time I saw the T-Birds was in the mid 60's, and they were flying the F-100 Super Saber!

5) And the airplane responsible for my passion for airplanes, the T-28 Trojan.

Attachments

• Andy's Tango.JPG
    Andy's Tango.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Mustang.JPG
    Mustang.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 18
  • SBD Dauntless.JPG
    SBD Dauntless.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 16
  • T-Birds.JPG
    T-Birds.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 19
  • T-28.JPG
    T-28.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 16
Mary and I flew down Monday afternoon direct from Starkville, MS where we attended Kathleen's Honors College orientation. 4hrs enroute, w/about 1 in and out of IMC. The 430W is great! Filed to CTY then got a vector to descend below the cloud deck and cancel over Crystal River. JAX CTR was very accomodating.

If you're bored at Sun 'n Fun you're just not making much of an effort to participate. Going just to peruse the commercial area is a very limiting experience, imho. Unfortunately, the focus of Sun 'n Fun appears to be more and more on the financial aspect of the activity rather than an "aviation event". Access to the homebuilt area was somewhat hidden behind rows of commercial exhibits this year. Not a good indication of event planning priorities to me

I again worked this year with the active military static displays on the flight line. The wet grounds required the line crew to reposition aircraft multiple times on the limited amount of pavement and double park several for the first few days. I "parked" my own plane no less than 4 times during the week.

One advantage of volunteering on the static display flight line is getting to meet the pilots and crew of the arriving aircraft. I've attached some photos I took when I had a few spare moments during the week. I didn't even have time to visit any of the vendors in the commercial area. I didn't even mind not doing that.

I should put a plug in for Brima's restaurant which was adjacent to the General Aviation Parking area, walking distance from the flight line. Good food and we didn't have to waste an hour getting to and from the airport to have a decent meal.

Attachments

• P4130018.JPG
    P4130018.JPG
    577.5 KB · Views: 14
  • P4130042.JPG
    P4130042.JPG
    590.8 KB · Views: 20
  • P4130051.JPG
    P4130051.JPG
    588.7 KB · Views: 12
  • P4130061.JPG
    P4130061.JPG
    600.1 KB · Views: 14
  • P4130074.JPG
    P4130074.JPG
    570.4 KB · Views: 17
  • P4130081.JPG
    P4130081.JPG
    563.2 KB · Views: 19
  • P4130098.JPG
    P4130098.JPG
    564.3 KB · Views: 14
  • P4130076.JPG
    P4130076.JPG
    590.7 KB · Views: 16
I flew in Friday morning. No wait at Lake Parker. Camped in the first row at the approach end of RWY9. Weather was great. Exhibits were interesting. Saw the Thunderbirds awesome demo twice. Had an overall super time. Took off for home about 6:30pm Saturday with no wait to launch. For me it was a great way to spend a couple of days.

Back