Snatching something a little larger than a banner...

Craig

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Craig
I didn't want to hijack the banner thread, so started this one. How about snatching something a bit larger than a banner, and with something quite a bit bigger than an ag bird.

Yeah, I guess a glider is a little bigger than a person

Fulton Recovery System

Wonder how many times it has been used operationally for personnel pick up?

Wish I could remember which book it's in around here, but some of the early attempts with the Fulton were done too fast and test folks had some lovely raccoon eyes from busting blood vessels at "launch". And other assorted minor and survivable injuries.

Better than the bad guys catching up to you, for sure. But they modified it a bit to make the pickup a tiny bit less violent according to this book... Now if I could just remember which one it is in... Was a fun read.

like this....bucket drop?

That technique is generally thought to have originated with a missionary pilot by the name of Nate Saint. Or at least he did it often enough that he was known for it.

A really long thin rope and practice your turns about a point...

That technique is generally thought to have originated with a missionary pilot by the name of Nate Saint. Or at least he did it often enough that he was known for it.

A really long thin rope and practice your turns about a point...
yup....that was his son doing the demo in the video.

Ever wonder what those two poles on the front of an MC-130 are for?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_surface-to-air_recovery_system

Fulton first used instrumented dummies as he prepared for a live pickup. He next used a pig, as pigs have nervous systems close to humans. Lifted off the ground, the pig began to spin as it flew through the air at 125 mph (200 km/h). It arrived on board uninjured but in a disoriented state. Once it recovered, it attacked the crew.[2]

[yt]
[/yt]
Pretty cool. And I didn't remember that it was a B-17. I'm not sure how they would've gotten them inside once they were up there, but hey! it's the movies.

John

Back