Smoking at Gastons

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
OK, I am a old enough to take honest criticism. The last 2 years at Gastons, I noticed that I was only one of maybe 2 or 3 other smokers. I tried as much as possible to stay back from everyone when I smoked, and I tried to keep the smoking to a minimum (for me, a minimum is still a lot of smoking). I don't want to see this thread turn into a "Nick, you need to quit" thread, but I do want some honest opinions:

In the past, has my smoking bothered you? If so, what more can I do to avoid offending you with my cigarettes.

Was my attempt to stay away from the masses while smoking (both at Wings and at Gastons) obvious enough to at least show that I was conscious of the potential offense? If not, should I try harder?

While I get defensive over people bashing smokers, and actually get defensive over the fact that I can't even smoke in bars or in Airports which ALREADY HAD THE SMOKING SECTIONS THERE (i.e., it cost more to ban smoking than to continue to allow it), I understand that some people are offended by cigarette smoke.

I guess the final question, I noticed quite a few more people smoked cigars last year. Does that change any of the previous answers?

Hum, I just think you should start quitting at Gastons. There would be a lot of support for those days. And think of all the money you would save and be able to um... afford some health insurance or maybe more parts for the plane.

Back on your topic. I really do appreciate when smokers back away from the masses. I really peeves me when people light up next to me or walk up to me smoking. Thanks for at least making the effort. (but you really should quit! ):blowingkisses:

Missa

as long as your downwind of me, im fine nick. and even if you arent, ill put up with it if good conversation is involved ;)

but you really should quit, friend.

Doesn't bother me a bit. When I quit in 1990 I made a pledge to myself that I wouldn't turn into "one of THOSE ex-smokers".

I'm pretty sensitive to cig smoke and I don't remember you being any kind of problem in that regard last year so whatever you did was probably OK. In general, when outdoors I just try to stay upwind and or away from smokers as much as possible.

Part of the problem is that the smell of smoke lingers in clothing, so even if one isn't smoking at the time, the odor is still there. That said, I appreciate the effort to stand downwind. It can be had to stand downwind from everyone, however, and still participate in conversations. And cameraderie is why we come to Gaston's to begin with!

So, with that as background, come to Gaston's and we'll try to help you quit (in a loving manner)! :) Just don't go doing things to Piper's nether regions where the rest of us need to watch, huh? LOL!

It doesn't bother me, especially outside, but I've never been a smoker so don't have any cravings to deal with. I will occasionally smoke a cigar, but that is rare.

Nick,

When smokers have the attitude you exhibit by starting this thread it usually isn't a problem. Thanks for asking.

Same holds true for cigars, but more distance is required because the odor is so strong.

Smoking outside will be banned:
http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-smokingban,0,5809397.story?coll=ktla-news-2

They already talked about banning smoking in your own car.

For that matter, anything you do that I don't do? Banned.
That flying stuff is at the top of the list.
I'm all for banning smoking at outdoor dining areas. Outdoor cafes have become the de facto smoking areas since indoor smoking was banned in Florida, and it's so thick it's hard to enjoy a meal, even outside.

I'm all for banning smoking at outdoor dining areas. Outdoor cafes have become the de facto smoking areas since indoor smoking was banned in Florida, and it's so thick it's hard to enjoy a meal, even outside.

Here's where I get defensive. It wouldn't be a problem if indoor smoking wasn't banned in the first place. What happens is that all of the smokers were dispersed along a greater area. As more and more places were regulated as "Smoke Free" fewer and fewer places exist to smoke.

That means the smoke becomes more pungent. So, rather than banning smoking at outdoor dining areas, I suggest either eating inside, where it was fought so hard to become smoke free, or just dealing with the problem the anti-smoking crowd created.

In my case, smoking is more than a mild irritant. I had sinus surgery three times in two years just to be able to breathe normally. It seems God thought I didn't need normally-sized sinus cavities. If I get stopped up, it gets pretty dang miserable.

It very easily causes a burning sensation if I breathe in the smoke. I go into buildings where my entrance is often around the smoking area. Or, it's a chosen smoking area next to the sign that says, "NO SMOKING." I literally have to hold my breath as I walk past these folks.

So, it's not that I'm anti-smoking. It is indeed a definite irritant that makes my own breathing an issue.

I think you've read enough of my spin zone posts to know I'm pretty anti-ordinance and anti-any law that restricts freedoms of the individual. While I think it's a great idea for family-type restaurants to be smoke-free, I think it's dang silly to force that on such places as Waffle House. That's happen quite a bit. Unfortunately, there have been just enough inconsiderate smokers who light up next to anyone they choose without concern for others. I have a difficult time balancing your right to smoke with my right to breathe clear air and remain a patron of a given establishment.

The other side is something I'm not as familiar with; that being the damage caused by second-hand smoke. I've been hearing non-smokers end up taking in more for that duration than the actual smoker; mainly because the smoker has a filter, others don't.

I won't be at Gaston's but that's just my thought process any time I'm around smokers. Either way, I'd like to see ya quit. My dad smoked for decades until he was borderline emphysema. He lived a lot longer because he quit. I'd like to see you hang around for another half-century or so.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted this before, and I'll put it up again in case the OP missed it. I truly hope it helps:

Smoke from cigarrettes acts as an irritant in the lungs, and causes localized inflammation. During this process, specialized cells called macrophages invade the lungs. They make an enzyme called elastase, which as its name implies, breaks down elastin fibres. Elastin fibres are what gives the lungs their springiness and forms the myriad little closed sacs, called alveoli (which I think is Latin for little closed sac), in which gas exchange occurs. You need little closed sacs as they have a large surface area, which assists gas exchange. That allows your lungs to supply the rest of you with oxygen from the air.

Once these elastin fibres are digested they never reform, you don't make elastin (the building block of elastic fibres) after the age of three...

...months. They are the stuff that makes up the walls of the little sacs. Think about what would happen if you took a sledge hammer to the walls of your house. You would make big rooms out of little rooms. That's what happens to your lungs. And one big room has less surface area that a bunch of small ones. That makes big rooms less efficient at gas exchange.

Every time you smoke you destroy some of the ability of your lungs to absorb oxygen. Every time. You can never get it back. You can never make it better. That, and of course you bombard yourself with carcinogens. If you smoke, stop right now. If you know a smoker, make them stop right now. It is one of the hardest things to do, but we're pilots. Pilots do hard things.

I know the OP didn't start this to get diatribes about smoking. His attitude is laudable, and he has the right to live as he sees fit. I just want to make certain that the OP and anyone else who sees this knows that cigarette smoking damages your lungs, every time. Good luck.

Stand downwind from me (no matter the distance) and we'll be just fine. I look forward to meeting you there.

Last edited:
Few of us have no bad habits. Unfortunately, the smoking habit has some pretty dire health consequences. From that standpoint, Nick, I hope you quit sometime soon.

However, as to your question, I do not remember anything objectionable about your smoking last year. So as far as I'm concerned, if you do that again this year, you're fine.

Nick, I will always chide you(gently) about smoking, because I see almost daily the agony my mom endures all the time, just because she showed us all she "...had the right to smoke." And she did, and now, a walk to the kitchen is like running a marathon, and that's with 24/7 o2. You can always find her by either following the tube, or listening for the portable puffer.

It's not a good way to live, and we all know that she won't much longer.

So, for your sake and the sake of those who care about you (count many of us among the latter), I hope you'll ditch the sticks. :cheerswine:

===

But, as for your original question: last year, you were at every instance very courteous and careful to ensure that your smoke did not cause discomfort to others, and it was apparent that you were making a conscious effort to keep it that way.

Almost as if you were a considerate fellow... naw, couldn't be! :D

Nick, I will always chide you(gently) about smoking, because I see almost daily the agony my mom endures all the time, just because she showed us all she "...had the right to smoke." And she did, and now, a walk to the kitchen is like running a marathon, and that's with 24/7 o2. You can always find her by either following the tube, or listening for the portable puffer.

It's not a good way to live, and we all know that she won't much longer.

So, for your sake and the sake of those who care about you (count many of us among the latter), I hope you'll ditch the sticks. :cheerswine:

===

But, as for your original question: last year, you were at every instance very courteous and careful to ensure that your smoke did not cause discomfort to others, and it was apparent that you were making a conscious effort to keep it that way.

Almost as if you were a considerate fellow... naw, couldn't be! :D

What Spike said. :yes: Nick, thanks for being considerate... But please quit!

Even when I smoked 2 packs a day, second hand smoke bothered me.

One great thing about New York is there is no smoking allowed anywhere indoors.

The few of my weak friends that do still smoke will not smoke in their own homes because of the spouse or kids.

Now I just have to deal with a few inconsiderate basturds while walking out of buildings, but most buildings now have a 200 or 500 ft from the door rule.

Smoke all you want outdoors but I will move upwind.

Nick, stand with the cigar smokers and no one will notice your cigs!:D

Seriously, I smoke the occasional cigar and like you, I move away from the crowd and try and find a place where the wind blows away from the group rather than towards it.

Nick, stand with the cigar smokers and no one will notice your cigs!:D

Seriously, I smoke the occasional cigar and like you, I move away from the crowd and try and find a place where the wind blows away from the group rather than towards it.

I'm bringing a good supply.

My thought was to mount a windsock with a sign not to stand where the pointy end is aimed at you.

Hum, I just think you should start quitting at Gastons. There would be a lot of support for those days. And think of all the money you would save and be able to um... afford some health insurance or maybe more parts for the plane.

Back on your topic. I really do appreciate when smokers back away from the masses. I really peeves me when people light up next to me or walk up to me smoking. Thanks for at least making the effort. (but you really should quit! ):blowingkisses:

Missa

When I last met up with Nick and Michael, they were very considerate to stay downwind of me. It wasn't until my dumb self stepped into the line of fire.

But yeah, think of that money being spent on aviation... :)

When I last met up with Nick and Michael, they were very considerate to stay downwind of me. It wasn't until my dumb self stepped into the line of fire.

But yeah, think of that money being spent on aviation... :)

At Wings last year I didn't even notice he smoked. It was only after he admited it here that I get on his case about quiting! :rolleyes:

Missa

You've never bothered me. But I grew up with it and smoking really doesn't seem to abnormal to me.

The only time I hate smoking is when it's blowing in my face when I'm eating. Even then I've learned to tolerate it.

Back