Smoke hood?

C_Parker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
x
I've always been curious about the value of having a smoke hood onboard in the event of a fire. That said, I've never run across anyone that actually had one on board.

Does anyone have any opinions or experience related to the value of carrying a smoke hood?

What sort of weirdo....
Not surprised :D

Does anyone have any opinions or experience related to the value of carrying a smoke hood?
In an aircraft where you can't easily bring fresh air if you get smoke? Might be worth it. If the smoke is that bad you also won't be able to see out.
In helicopters they tell you to open the side windows, put in some slip angle and use that to drive fresh air across the cockpit. Works well for a small GA plane, open spit window(s), crack doors open, kick the rudder.

Our work airplanes have smoke masks, but that's mostly just a "get me out of this burning plane" item.

We have a EVAS (Emergency Vision Assurance System) installed, which is basically an inflatable pillow that will allow us to see the instruments and a bit outside if the cockpit fills with smoke. A bit unwieldy, but better than not having it. These were installed as a direct result of the UPS 6 crash in the UAE.

Now, our company's R&D department is installing a SAVED (Smoke Assured Vision Enhanced Display) system into our existing oxygen masks. They installed an internal monitor in the mask with is a repeater of our HUD/FLIR display in order to see through the smoke to land. Pretty neat system overall.

They installed an internal monitor in the mask with is a repeater of our HUD/FLIR display in order to see through the smoke to land. Pretty neat system overall.
Now that is impressive!

Seems like one of those better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it type things.

Back