Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia

For about eight years, we commuted from CJR to NC26 and our route of flight takes us right over the dam at Smith Mountain Lake. We've stopped in at the airport a few times (have a friend there). I like the fact that after hours you just pump gas and then either leave the cash in the office or follow the instructions to run your card through their credit card terminal.

For about eight years, we commuted from CJR to NC26 and our route of flight takes us right over the dam at Smith Mountain Lake. We've stopped in at the airport a few times (have a friend there). I like the fact that after hours you just pump gas and then either leave the cash in the office or follow the instructions to run your card through their credit card terminal.
They do that with their rental car. Take it, drive it, and if no one's around, put the cash in a lock box.

Every restaurant was smoke filled when we visited SML about 25 years ago. Seemed like the locals weren’t pleased with visitors off season (Thanksgiving)

Has the area changed? Does the water horn or whatever it was still go off all the time?

Every restaurant was smoke filled when we visited SML about 25 years ago. Seemed like the locals weren’t pleased with visitors off season (Thanksgiving)

Has the area changed? Does the water horn or whatever it was still go off all the time?

I live on Buggs Island, not far from SML. A better lake, IMO, not nearly as crowded. I'm sure it is still as you describe, minus the smoking and a ton more development.

Just like any other tourist town or area, the locals sometimes get aggravated by the issues that short-term visitors bring. Some current issues being...

1) Our internet speeds go from 25 mbs during the week to .9 mbs when all the weekend warriors show up.
2) Don't even try to go to the grocery store after Thursday.
3) Our dock gets beat to crap by surf boats.
4) The bleeding loud music.

Only about 25% of the homes in our neighborhood are occupied year-round. The rest are vacation homes for the city folk. We love the peaceful time, Sunday evening thru midday Friday. Holiday weekends are even worse. I would never treat a weekender like they don't belong, but we kinda keep to ourselves and adjust so we avoid the big crowds.

It was the same when we lived in VA beach, locals had issue with tourists.

We had a lovely time at Bedford Landings, the fly in B&B.
It was late September though. We don't go anywhere " in season".

Lord no. It is exactly like you remember it.

Back