Small plane flips at SMO

FPK1

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
FPK1
Landed and flipped. No injuries. N819KS Cessna 172... Looks like once around the pattern then woops!

929a180d4ca7ffa97d069436b05967d7.jpg

Last edited:
Landed and flipped. No injuries. N819KS Cessna 172... Looks like once around the pattern then woops!

929a180d4ca7ffa97d069436b05967d7.jpg
When I tried to do that, I just got the wingtip and the prop, couldn't get it to go all the way.

Sounds like heavy nose wheel braking. I once did the same thing on a three wheeler back in 1983.

Sounds like heavy nose wheel braking.
How would that happen? I don’t think that kind of plane has a brake on the nose wheel. Am I wrong about that, or did I not understand that you were making a joke?

How would that happen? I don’t think that kind of plane has a brake on the nose wheel. Am I wrong about that, or did I not understand that you were making a joke?
I was making a joke, but in fact there are aircraft built with nose wheel braking. The Me-262 is one example. Notice the brake line in the photo below.
IMG_8508.jpeg

I wondered that, but it seems like a PIO that resulted in a nose over would include a nose wheel collapse as well, but maybe those Cessna nose wheels are more stout than I'm giving them credit for.

I wondered that, but it seems like a PIO that resulted in a nose over would include a nose wheel collapse as well, but maybe those Cessna nose wheels are more stout than I'm giving them credit for.
The strut is strong enough to wrinkle the firewall.

Here's a pic from the video. Hard to see much actual damage (other than the nose and tail):

upload_2023-6-7_17-20-59.png

Back