Slow flight in a Pipistrel Alpha Trainer

Tony R

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Atrosa
Ground speed was 6.7kts. We were practicing slow flight. Vso is 37kts. Turns around a point (turning left) were fun with the wind pushing me, at one point I had to crab right in order to keep from getting pushed into my circle.

I love power-off stalls....power-on still gives me some pucker factor.

FB_IMG_1703278826280.jpg

I got it down to 0 before and actually we were going backwards or negative but the GPS won’t show a (-) symbol.

Watched an instructor flying a J-3 Cub on a very windy day. He took off into the wind and slowed down, flew backwards to the approach end and commenced a touch and go. Kind of like a loop but staying horizontal to the ground.

TFW your groundspeed is so low that the transponder goes into GND mode... :nono:

Got a C150 down to 10 kts gs once. ATC actually called it to me back before the days of GPS.

George, Explain please. I'm a dumb student pilot with 15 hours and want to know if I'm doing something wrong. I was practicing slow flight on a windy day. Wisdom please.....

You did nothing wrong.

Some transponders are configured to switch between ALT and GND automatically depending on groundspeed, which can get your attention if you're in airspace that requires a transponder.

Got a C150 down to 10 kts gs once. ATC actually called it to me back before the days of GPS.
Got one to do negative ground speed once.

But in if my favorites is checking out people in a SportCruiser. I’ve seen as low as 23 KTS IAS before the stall. Find the right wind and…

Back