Skyvector

I really don't worry too much about websites in general sending me spam. If it's a site that requires an email to get in, and I think they might want to send me spam as a result, I simply give them my spam email. I clean it out every month or two with a mass deletion.

Am I missing something? Is your email account accessible by a bunch of people you don't want it to be accessible to?
Of course it is. Yours is too. Duh.

For a long time, the problem of plaintext e-mail was somewhat mitigated by the expense of snooping at core ISPs, which generally made it available only to state actors. In addition, IMAP+SSL makes it somewhat safer to use WiFi. So what attackers were mostly doing until now is trying to steal access credentials rather than sift through e-mail as it's being transmitted. But incidences of router malware as well as ephimeral AS announcements seem to be on the raise.

Personally I never use the same password (or other necessary credentials) for unrelated services, although I'm fairly caveman in my specific technique: I use PGP to encrypt lists of passwords. Nowadays a number of applications exist to make that task less arduous, such as KeePass. So there's no risk that (almost certainly) stolen fltplan.com password is going to unlock my e-mail accounts. Still, a thought that someone could be such a complete idiot in security practices certainly gives one a pause. One day fltplan.com is going to be cracked and serve nasty malware before anyone notices.

Last edited:
One day fltplan.com is going to be cracked and serve nasty malware before anyone notices.

A few major websites have already had this happen, so I suspect it won't just be fltplan.com who'll be doing this eventually. Cracking a site to modify it to distribute malware is the next wave.

The next logical step in the security Cold War is third party monitoring of your websites for changes that could distribute malware and of course also automating the checking that everything you're handing out in public pages isn't malware.

That'll become popular in a year or two and major sites will do it and pay for it as a matter of normal business to meet their audit requirements.

That's what I use it for. I would use iflightplanner but it wont let me select any military bases.
You should be able to select any FAA-registered facility, including military bases... Let me know if there's one in particular that you're having trouble finding and I'll look into it!

Andy

For IFR plans, it would be nice if one site combined the advantages of iflightplanner and fltplan so that I didn't have to iterate. Foreflight on the iPad comes very close to meeting that need, but not its browser-based variant for desktop use.

It sounds like you’re using our free Aviation Charts, which are designed for simple, quick flight planning...

Our full solution was designed to accomplish exactly what you describe, all in one. Even with our free membership, you have access to interactive routing with our Aviation Charts and access to
recently issued ATC routes, detailed fuel/time calculations, and flight plan filing. Once your flight is planned, everything syncs with iFlightPlanner for iPad for in-flight reference.

Andy

Back