Skymaster Opinions

Depends on how much reserve you all are ready to spend?
Sounds like you'll be doubling your investment in the next 3-5 years or less and are probably looking at $7k by the time you get it in annual and flying.

Thinking back across the years, it's not really the plane so much that has bothered me about Skymasters (although the one I flew was painfully loud, maybe they didn't have any sound proofing and as a mechanic, especially working on the rear engine, it took more of my skin and blood than any other aircraft type), but it's been the Skymaster owners. Most of them have made, and believe, thoroughly unrealistic claims of ability and safety of their planes. They just ain't been quite right in the head.:rolleyes: Most of them have wanted to be blowhards with a twin but were afraid they were not able to handle one. They have a fantasy that they really have 2 single engine planes.

Last edited:
For the sake of clarity, that's actually 10K each for half ownership. We planned to throw in 5K each to get us going on the annual and other expenses. That's where the 15K came from. May need a little more dough to get it flying, but it isn't looking like it so far. Of course, the gear may need attention.

Thinking back across the years, it's not really the plane so much that has bothered me about Skymasters (although the one I flew was painfully loud, maybe they didn't have any sound proofing and as a mechanic, especially working on the rear engine, it took more of my skin and blood than any other aircraft type), but it's been the Skymaster owners. Most of them have made, and believe, thoroughly unrealistic claims of ability and safety of their planes. They just ain't been quite right in the head.:rolleyes: Most of them have wanted to be blowhards with a twin but were afraid they were not able to handle one. They have a fantasy that they really have 2 single engine planes.

Hey, I just want a plane that will haul my fat butt and my fat butt friends to the mountains. :D

I'll just be tickled pink to have something to fly and not have to carry the maintenance burden on my own. No blowhard here.

As I haven't flown one I have no info to offer on this plane.
However after reading this thread I a little envious and can't help but jump in.

I have been n love with the Skymaster since I was a kid. At 14 I wrote Cessna a letter and they mailed me a brochure that stayed pinned to my wall for years.

Whenever I see one at any airport I can't help but to stop and look.
I sure hope I get to fly one someday.

I'm looking forward to hearing how it all works out for you.

If you ever fly into VGT give me a shout.

Prepare a realistic 5-year pro-forma including at least one engine overhaul or rebuild along with accessories, etc. Test it against reality and see what you think.

Bear in mind that cost creep comes in numerous ways that can cloud your thinking and ultimately your decision-making process. Let's say we start with $30k in the deal (that will probably be closer to $40k because it's an airplane deal) and fly it for six months before the tired engine pukes.

Cost to reman and fix is quoted at $35k that ends up at $45k because we forgot some stuff, he forgot to tell us about some stuff, and we found some stuff later that we didn't know about. We "wanted to do it right" so we popped for the extra dough, and now we're in for $90k. At that point, what are our options if something else breaks? Are we going to walk from the $90k or put more in? Do we now find ourselves "dancing with a bear and that we can't quit when we're tired?"

Nobody has the crystal ball on these deals, and yours might run until the rapture. You just need to understand that buying an airplane is a lot like Darrel Royal's description of what can happen when you throw the football. Three things can happen, two of them are bad. For twin owners they can be really bad.

Hey, I just want a plane that will haul my fat butt and my fat butt friends to the mountains. :D

I'll just be tickled pink to have something to fly and not have to carry the maintenance burden on my own. No blowhard here.

Well @OkieFlyer since your 175 thread got turned up and we all know you got a 182... why'd you decide against the 337?

I decided against two different 337s over the years mostly because of the shape those particular birds were in. The first one, which this thread was created for 7 years ago, just needed too much work for my liking. It needed quite a bit of panel work, and although one engine was low time, the rear engine was close to TBO. The second 337, which the owner offered to trade straight up for my 182, seemed to be involved in a little bit of shady business. The previous owner had apparently been in a bit of legal trouble, and the seller seemed a little too eager to unload it for some reason. Also, upon further inspection, I saw several areas of corrosion that had been dressed with rattle can paint. I didn't pursue it any further after that.

A couple months later, the owner of the second 337 had a gear up landing, and that particular bird has been stripped down to bare bones and is sitting in small side hangar at KCHK. It will likely never fly again. The owner was taking a potential buyer for a test drive and after forgetting to put the gear down earlier in the approach, he flipped the switch on final and the main gear never latched in in the down position before touchdown. He also had no multi-engine rating. Stupid.

In summary: I still love Skymasters. Just haven't found the one for me.......yet.

Thanks for dredging up a really old post though.

I like the 337,a little noisy due to rear engine, wish you luck.

Love the sky master. Never flew one and not sure exactly why, but something draws me to that airplane.

Just so everyone understands what's going on here, this thread is about 7 years old now. I've owned a C-182 for about 3 years.

That said. I love the 337, and having just seen a whole bunch of them at Oshkosh, I'll probably be perusing the airplane ads looking at them again.

Don't do it!
I've maintained 4 different 337s over the years and everyone one has cost way more in maintenance per flight hour than any of our 19 other aircraft.
Examples:
1.call your favorite exhaust shop and check the price for a new rear muffler.
2.check the price for main gear universal joints installed if you can find them, guaranteed they are worn beyond limits. (they all are)
3. Check the price for front cowl flap motors.
4.1500 TBO, the G model is $30K exchange a from TCM.
5. 165 knots on 30 GPH? Buy a T210 and go 185 on 15. (Don't tell me about 210 maintenance if you're thinking 337).

Sorry man, 25 years working on these, they are a freaking money pit!

PM me, I'll send you years of data to prove it.

Dan

c2ba7d3a2ac9d1f14a7fd0344624d67e.jpg

e71d6b732365275ae1654eb6266f01ba.jpg

c6f37daf1f5065104150d281485fe9dc.jpg

Back