Skydiving plane makes emergency landing on a highway in NJ...

Did it happen on take off? Jump planes generally circle above the airport as they climb.

Well, there were still divers on board for it is heading up. I disagree. A lot of jump planes don't "circle" but fly out a bit and turn back on the "jump run". You climb better with the wings level. The landing site here seems to be not more than 2 miles from the airport anyhow.

Looking at the video and the text of the article linked - their definition of "no damage" and mine differ significantly! TWNBO*

*That Will Not Buff Out

Well, there were still divers on board for it is heading up. I disagree. A lot of jump planes don't "circle" but fly out a bit and turn back on the "jump run". You climb better with the wings level. The landing site here seems to be not more than 2 miles from the airport anyhow.

Yes, it's very close to the field.

What did he hit that caused that damage? I didn't see anything and some witness said he narrowly missed cars and power lines yet the leading edge is crumpled as if it got into a fight with a bear and lost.

What did he hit that caused that damage? I didn't see anything and some witness said he narrowly missed cars and power lines yet the leading edge is crumpled as if it got into a fight with a bear and lost.

I would assume probably multiple signs and street lights based on the area he landed. I have not been over to check it out in person though.

I'd wager it was low level on initial climb, with the jumpers on board I'd wager they were low, as in iffy even to do a reserve ride low, or tandems.

Ether way, good job by the pilot, made the best out of what looks like a few options crap situation.

Did it happen on take off? Jump planes generally circle above the airport as they climb.

I am not familiar with that particular drop zone, but I know ours is five miles away from the airport, so no circling over the airport here.

Looks like a good job on the landing. It's always good when everyone walks away.

I am not familiar with that particular drop zone, but I know ours is five miles away from the airport, so no circling over the airport here.

Even when when the LZ is at the airport, "Circling" isn't quite the description of the path taken by most jump planes.

Back