Ski trip to Steamboat?

wildb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
wildb
Has anyone taken a trip to steamboat during ski season? Just curious what it was like trying to take skis with you in the plane, if possible, and how it was at their airport, and staying for a night or 2?

The airport is a fair ways from town. We rented a car. There are lots of housing options for ski in/out but there is also a good bus service around town if you stay further from the hill. It's a nice place in that people who quit skiing at lunchtime find themselves right there in town with plenty to do. But if you are a really serious skiier you might get bored if there more than a couple days. We took a neighbor''s 414 so had plenty of room for skis, can't offer any advice there.

Has anyone taken a trip to steamboat during ski season? Just curious what it was like trying to take skis with you in the plane, if possible, and how it was at their airport, and staying for a night or 2?

Steamboat is my favorite ski area. I show up with clothes and rent all my equipment, I don't ski frequently or well enough to warrant owning. I stay at a 'ski inn'.

Has anyone taken a trip to steamboat during ski season? Just curious what it was like trying to take skis with you in the plane, if
possible, and how it was at their airport, and staying for a night or 2?
Sure, no problem with skis, they fit just fine in the car or on top. About 4-5 hours from the house depending in weather and traffic.

I haven't flown there, but love skiing there. Especially during the Musicfest in early January...loaded with alt/Texas/anti-Nashville/Red Dirt country artists. If you don't like that music, then avoid it at that time! ;) Fun town, great skiing.

I've flown to Aspen to visit my brother and ski. Was able to get 2 pairs of skis in the Mooney with some creative packing, but it wasn't that difficult. Aspen is a great place to ski, but you pay through the nose for the opportunity.

What airplane? Where are you coming from? Comfortable with winter mountain flying? Everything depends on the route & weather. Hangar space in the winter is not cheap but it's ski country - nothing is cheap.

Between Denver & Steamboat there are routes from 10.5 up to 14.5 that will get you there. The 10.5 route is longer, of course.

SBS is the GA airport, Hayden is the commercial airport and very far away, and they don't like GA. I've never flown there in the winter - only the rest of the year. Airport and staff are great.

What airplane? Where are you coming from? Comfortable with winter mountain flying? Everything depends on the route & weather. Hangar space in the winter is not cheap but it's ski country - nothing is cheap.

Between Denver & Steamboat there are routes from 10.5 up to 14.5 that will get you there. The 10.5 route is longer, of course.

SBS is the GA airport, Hayden is the commercial airport and very far away, and they don't like GA. I've never flown there in the winter - only the rest of the year. Airport and staff are great.
Unless Hayden has changed a lot since I last flew in there, i didn't find it unfriendly at all. Easy in and out, much easier for the novice that the relatively short runway at KSBS.

Unless Hayden has changed a lot since I last flew in there, i didn't find it unfriendly at all. Easy in and out, much easier for the novice that the relatively short runway at KSBS.

Gotta agree there. Hayden has airliner traffic but it's not unfriendly to GA. SBS is just closer.

Been up there skiing, but never flown in. Like the town way better than anything in Summit County.

No other useful info other than it was damn nice when dad bought a fractional ownership of a condo in the Steamboat Grand. Nothing like waking up, slamming some coffee, throwing on gear, and walking a few hundred yards to the ski lift.

Fortunately or unfortunately he co-owned it with his last ex-wife and she had joint tenancy with rights of survivorship on it.

She's a nice person and would let us use it, but we just don't keep in touch that well with her.

Back