Ski Gear inside 177 Cardinal

MyassisDragon

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mr Fred
Can any 177 owners out there confirm if you can fit downhill ski's under the rear seat of a 177 cardinal.

I am thinking of taking a short trip with 3 people and 3 sets of ski gear so I need to keep the rear seat mounted and the plane. Unfortunately the plane is 1/2 hr away from me so I cannot quickly check if the floor is flat but would like to know if its even feasible.:dunno:

I guess it would really depend on the length of the skis. I don't fly a 177 but I know of one around here that actually has ski tubes.

The RG version definitely does not have a flat floor in back. Other models might be quite different.

I once saw a reference to some kind of ski tube that goes in the tail cone and supposedly protected stuff back there from the tails of skis. I never really followed up to see if that product was real or conceptual. If anyone knows about such a product, I'd like to know more.

In a straight-leg 177 you might be able to put them on the floor such that the bindings are behind the rear seat. I think the bindings would not fit under the seats but tips and tails would. So it really depends.

Since skis are much shorter today than they used to be, I've often wondered about putting them bindings-down over the back seat and maybe using a towel or something to protect the seat. Then secure the skis to the seat and/or baggage loops in the baggage compartment. I haven't actually tried this, however.

Can any 177 owners out there confirm if you can fit downhill ski's under the rear seat of a 177 cardinal.

I am thinking of taking a short trip with 3 people and 3 sets of ski gear so I need to keep the rear seat mounted and the plane. Unfortunately the plane is 1/2 hr away from me so I cannot quickly check if the floor is flat but would like to know if its even feasible.:dunno:

If a fixed gear, maybe. There isn't a whole lot of clearance between the floor and that aft most part of the seat frame tho. I think its only 2 or 3 inches.

I think that they would fit just fine in my 1976 177B under the seat, depending on how long they are. The RG versions, as indicated above, do not have the flat floor due to the wheel wells.

Back