Skew-T

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
Does rucsoundings work for anyone else? I can't seem to get any data to load. Really hoping they get this fixed soon if it's down...I need it tomorrow.

http://rucsoundings.noaa.gov/

It looks like it is pretty slow, but it appears to be working for me.

html5 works for me just fine at http://rucsoundings.noaa.gov/ The only time I can recall that it didn't work was a government shutdown.

Maybe a browser cache issue, Jesse, or something like that?

There are other Skew-T providers that don't work for me. Like ogimet.com, which often generates an error message "Sorry, No grib data available" and in fact it does it right now.

Last edited:
Working fine for me now. I tried multiple browsers, multiple computers, multiple models, multiple airports, etc earlier today. Must have just been down.

How ever have I flown for two decades without ever once using or viewing a Skew-T? I say it's a damn modern miracle.

How ever have I flown for two decades without ever once using or viewing a Skew-T? I say it's a damn modern miracle.

You fly turbines, right?

In the piston-powered world, it is a miracle. Icing is a big problem for us. Getting above cloud layers can be, too.

When I'm looking at a departure right in the middle of forecasted rain/snow mix with 500 ft ceilings in a piston single -- I take a good hard look at the skew-t.

When I'm looking at a departure right in the middle of forecasted rain/snow mix with 500 ft ceilings in a piston single -- I take a good hard look at the skew-t.

Guess the FIKI is the difference. I look at radar and back when I flew piston it was Florida where I again looked at radar or San Diego as a PPL and just balled it up and went home.

Honestly, I'd never even heard of a Skew T until this forum...but y'all seem to love 'em. I'm still torn if folks here like them for there usefulness or their obscurity.

:wink2:

While on the subject...anybody have a link to a good course on how to read the skew-t charts...id like to learn how to read them but don't really know how to start!

Guess the FIKI is the difference. I look at radar and back when I flew piston it was Florida where I again looked at radar or San Diego as a PPL and just balled it up and went home.

Honestly, I'd never even heard of a Skew T until this forum...but y'all seem to love 'em. I'm still torn if folks here like them for there usefulness or their obscurity.

So right now there is an airmet for icing covering about 5 states between the frezing level and 20,000 feet. If you want more detailed information for a flight in the near future, looking at a few SKEW-T diagrams will do it.

While on the subject...anybody have a link to a good course on how to read the skew-t charts...id like to learn how to read them but don't really know how to start!
The best of the best is going to be Scott Dennstaedt 's intensive courses. But the one Ed Williams did a few years ago is going to be a great introduction. This 2-part presentation is one I made for Ed from his materials (PowerPoint and audio) a few years ago because I thought it was so good (actually I made it to make it easier for ME to watch it :yes:). The link is to my YouTube playlist.

Weather in the Vertical

FIKI by itself doesn't mean much, it's the capability of the system.

How ever have I flown for two decades without ever once using _________? I say it's a damn modern miracle.

All sorts of things could go in that spot...

lol, Florida. I don't think you'd make it through a winter of flying in the midwest if you evaluated your ice risk using the radar while flying piston singles. Probably ice the thing up and smash it into a corn field the first week.

Last edited:
I'm with Captain, except on the other side of the spectrum. If icing is enough of an issue that it would be prudent to view a Skew T, I'm staying on the ground. You people in the Midwest can have your ice and tornadoes, I'll stick with my earthquakes, thank you.

I've had one bad experience. Never again.

I'm with Captain, except on the other side of the spectrum. If icing is enough of an issue that it would be prudent to view a Skew T, I'm staying on the ground. You people in the Midwest can have your ice and tornadoes, I'll stick with my earthquakes, thank you.

I've had one bad experience. Never again.

On the other hand, do you think you would have had that bad experience to begin with if you had better understood icing and all the weather products to help you make a good decision?

I fly in visible moisture below freezing all the time. I've *never* scared myself with ice. But I do look at the conditions very closely and always have a plan. Icing is really the only thing you'll see that causes me to sit around and stare at weather data.

In the summer - I wait until it's time to go - pull up the radar and either go or don't go. It's pretty straight forward then.

For this particular flight I do have FIKI, but I'm not fond of taking on ice in a Malibu. They do not carry ice well at all.

Scott Dennstaedt sells a CD program at www.avwxworkshops.com titled "An Introduction to the Skew-T" which is well worth the price. Scott not only knows his stuff but is a great teacher.

Bob Gardner

lol, Florida. I don't think you'd make it through a winter of flying in the midwest if you evaluated your ice risk using the radar while flying piston singles. Probably ice the thing up and smash it into a corn field the first week.

Exactly what I was thinking.

On the other hand, do you think you would have had that bad experience to begin with if you had better understood icing and all the weather products to help you make a good decision?

I fly in visible moisture below freezing all the time. I've *never* scared myself with ice. But I do look at the conditions very closely and always have a plan. Icing is really the only thing you'll see that causes me to sit around and stare at weather data.

In the summer - I wait until it's time to go - pull up the radar and either go or don't go. It's pretty straight forward then.

For this particular flight I do have FIKI, but I'm not fond of taking on ice in a Malibu. They do not carry ice well at all.

I've asked myself that question, and I'm not sure my decision to fly the route and altitude would have altered at the time. This was on a flight to LA (Fullerton) and every WX source I could get my hands on indicated that the icing level should have been above my altitude (10,000 feet) at the destination.

But it wasn't. I was in the clear most of the way, but by the time I reached the range separating the Central Valley from the LA basin, I either needed to climb to stay above the clouds, or go in to the clouds. I opted to go in as I would need to begin an approach soon anyway. As soon as I entered the cloud, bam, the windscreen was solid ice.

I asked for a decent and finally found a clear layer at 9,000 (wrong altitude but they let me stay), and decided to dive bomb it for the decent to approach. Bad idea. Ended up doing an unusual attitude recovery in actual IMC. (Learned an important lesson, that's how that s*** happens.) But I worked it out and finally by 6,000 feet the ice was magically stripped off by the rain. F***ing whew. The remainder of the approach to KFUL was a non-event.

I have no idea where the briefer got his information on icing levels. Skew T's? Pireps? Don't know. But, regardless, it was a long flight and conditions can change. My personal minimum now no mountain crossings in IMC. I have no problem flying up and down the Valley in IMC, or over the coastal hills, but above 6K? Don't want to mess with it. Maybe in the Summer, but the event happened at LA in March.

Obscurity is in the mind of the beholder and the beholder's experiences. Everything is obscure until understood. Heck, most of the charts tested by the FAA are not only obscure but obsolete.

I once got seriously flamed here because I dared ask for a simple explanation of what the Skew-T did, so I guess some folks actually liked the obscurity part to stay intact :).

But, finding the simpler explanation I was looking for, I discovered that a pretty basic understanding of what it does and what information it provides makes it a very useful supplement to a "normal" weather briefing. In spring and summer it can help add information to the AIRMETs and SIGMETs for turbulence and thunderstorm activity by identifying areas and levels of stability and instability. In winter, same for icing issues - the first winter I used them, I was surprised to see how often there was an low-level inversion that would keep me out of ice until I broke out at 3000-4000' AGL into the clear blue skies or clear air until 20,000' it also showed. Any time of year, I've found it's graphical prediction of cloud tops to be incredibly accurate.

Using it alone or in close situations is akin to using NexRad to thread ones way between storm cells. Not a good idea. But as a "drill down" for information to help with planning decisions, it's a pretty decent assistant.

But, regardless, it was a long flight and conditions can change. My personal minimum now no mountain crossings in IMC. I have no problem flying up and down the Valley in IMC, or over the coastal hills, but above 6K? Don't want to mess with it. Maybe in the Summer, but the event happened at LA in March.
Prediction of mountain weather is notoriously problematic in large part because mountains tend to create their own localized weather systems. The ups and downs of airflow can create very different conditions on different sides of the very same ridge. And except for areas, like the Rockies, where mountain AWOS systems were installed at a lot of well-traveled passes and peaks, there isn't even much good low altitude (AGL) data available.

I use them frequently.
Just like the AOPA site or DirecTV --- sometimes they work
Sometimes, they don't
(It isn't your browser --- it's their server)

You people in the Midwest can have your ice and tornadoes, I'll stick with my earthquakes, thank you.

I got woke up by a 4.7 earthquake the night before last. monday night we had a 40 tornado outbreak in SW Kansas and the TX/OK Panhandles. Tuesday there was 20" of snow in NW Kansas.

We have it all!

I got woke up by a 4.7 earthquake the night before last. monday night we had a 40 tornado outbreak in SW Kansas and the TX/OK Panhandles. Tuesday there was 20" of snow in NW Kansas.

We have it all!

A 4.7 earthquake is equivalent to a 30 mph wind or maybe a half inch of rain. (I know, earthquake snobs...) But seriously though, I don't even feel them until they are about a five something.

Clearly I'd never make it through a winter. I'd ice it up and die, fer sure. Ooooohh, you pilots in the mid west sure are brave. And handsome!

Btw the way, that settles it. Y'all use it for its obscurity.

Back