Sinus Problems, How Long To Ground?

itsjames2011

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
James
On Sat I started to get a cold which turned into a full blown sinus block. Complete congestion and the works. As of today I am finally able to breathe normally with only the occasional need to blow my nose.

This is the first time I've been sick since I got my ticket and I'm wondering how long to wait before getting back up in the air. Is there a hard fast rule on number of days after symptoms improve? Are there any signs that say hey, we're not there yet?

James

On Sat I started to get a cold which turned into a full blown sinus block. Complete congestion and the works. As of today I am finally able to breathe normally with only the occasional need to blow my nose.

This is the first time I've been sick since I got my ticket and I'm wondering how long to wait before getting back up in the air. Is there a hard fast rule on number of days after symptoms improve? Are there any signs that say hey, we're not there yet?

James

It's all up to you. And the answers you'll get from the rest of us will range from me (who has flown with sinus issue) to others who will wait days after their last Kleenex is tossed. I've also scratched flights I wasn't feeling so well. So as with all things aviation...it depends.

If you are alert and clear headed, go fly.

I grounded myself for a similar reason a few days ago.

The rule I use is that if I can shake my head and feel it sloshing around, flying is not appropriate. Similarly, any evidence of fever or even slight dizziness is a no-go. A runny nose is irrelevant for safety (but it may not be nice to the next user or passenger to infect the airplane). Mild ear block is not a huge problem unless large climbs are in the plan (I've done up to 3000, more is probably possible). Severe ear or sinus block is not fun.

Unless you're medicated, once the relevant symptoms are gone and you know they are staying that way, you're good. If you're medicated, wait until you're not, probably 24 hours.

Use the IMSAFE checklist. "I" does not mean you have to be symptomless, but rather that your symptoms do not interfere with flying safely.

Note that the rules can be relaxed if there is a second pilot. That way, if your symptoms become intolerable, the other pilot can fly and land the airplane as needed.

Last edited:
During my training, my CFI would ground himself as soon as there was any detectable congestion and would wait until it was gone.

During my training, my CFI would ground himself as soon as there was any detectable congestion and would wait until it was gone.

Did he do that for safety reasons, or because he was a nice guy and didn't want to infect you or the next guy to sit in the right seat?

It's certainly not nice to infect all the commonly used surfaces in a shared airplane with rhinovirus.

Did he do that for safety reasons, or because he was a nice guy and didn't want to infect you or the next guy to sit in the right seat?

It's certainly not nice to infect all the commonly used surfaces in a shared airplane with rhinovirus.

I'm not sure if it was the policy of our flight school, but I remember as soon as he started feeling gross, he'd cancel days of lessons. I don't think he was doing it as a courtesy.

Specifically, don't fly if you can't equalize pressure in your ears on command. Millions of crying babies on airline flights everywhere bear this out.

Otherwise, just follow the IMSAFE mnemomic. Illness, Medication, Stress, Alcohol, Fatigue, Eating/Emotion

There is no set answer. I would try a flight and if you still feel pressure, then don't fly

If you feel good, go fly UNLESS you took sinus medication. If you took medication, even OTC medication, 24 hours is a BARE MINIMUM for waiting before you fly.

Be safe!

BTW, I am NOT an M.D. In spite of my nickname.

I've had some light sinus stuff when I had colds, just flew through it, sucked but wasn't the end of the world.

Specifically, don't fly if you can't equalize pressure in your ears on command.

This. Once you're able to clear your ears, you're generally good to fly.

Not being able to clear your ears is the biggest impact on being able to safely fly with sinus block. Even if snot is running out your nostrils, you can always wait a while to wipe it off if your hands are too busy with the aircraft controls, but blocked ears can really distract you to a hazardous degree.

Of course, this excludes the ability to land if you're having a sneezing fit during the flare. :yikes:

Last edited:
I don't take meds for anything unless it is absolutely necessary. That being the case I let this run its course for the last 5 days and it's taken care of itself. Will report back after tomorrow's flight :)

If you take OTC cold meds you have to wait 5X the dosing interval before you can fly again. In the case of an antihistamine like Benadryl that is 60 hours.

If you take OTC cold meds you have to wait 5X the dosing interval before you can fly again. In the case of an antihistamine like Benadryl that is 60 hours.

"Have to" or "should"?

The former indicates it's regulatory.

WAIT until you can clear your ears easily with no medication. Go up and down in an elevator, ride up and down hills etc. and if you experience ANY pressure or problems clearing then do not fly. A few hundred feet and you can do a lot of damage. Val Salva GENTLY

I flew when I was 12 with a head cold and was wishing my head would blow apart to relieve the pressure. About 35 years ago I flew with a "little" congestion and blocked up, ruptured my ear drum and have listened to ringing every since.

IT IS NOT WORTH THE CHANCE...Protect your ears
Waiting a few days is much better than a lifetime of problems.

While I might believe that on airliner with an 8000 foot cabin alititude, lots of people, myself included, drive over the local 2600 foot mountains with colds to no effect beyond some discomfort. A few hundred feet won't matter.

If you are alert and clear headed, go fly.
Concur.

Unless you were taking something (either prescription or OTC) to help make it go away, in which case you should wait at least twice the dosage interval (and maybe up to five times the dosage interval if it has something like "do not drive or operate heavy machinery" on the label) after the last dose before flying again.

Last edited:
While I might believe that on airliner with an 8000 foot cabin alititude, lots of people, myself included, drive over the local 2600 foot mountains with colds to no effect beyond some discomfort. A few hundred feet won't matter.

That is exactly what I said! Some discomfort is a sign that you shouldn't fly. Driving over a mountain is controllable. Flying is a finite time period operation i.e. fuel only lasts so long. The distance of vertical travel is not the key but the rate. Airlines usually are set to operate at 300 fpm. My intent is that if you can clear with a val salva then you are good.

That is exactly what I said! Some discomfort is a sign that you shouldn't fly. Driving over a mountain is controllable. Flying is a finite time period operation i.e. fuel only lasts so long. The distance of vertical travel is not the key but the rate. Airlines usually are set to operate at 300 fpm. My intent is that if you can clear with a val salva then you are good.

Considering the OP is a spam can driver, he can climb as slow has he needs to, once clear of obstacles. Or he can turn around if he needs to.

300 FPM seems awfully slow for an airliner, at least at low altitude. Maybe for a cruise-climb in the flight levels. It sure looks like well over 1000 FPM right after rotation.

The measure that matters is the altitude change between clearing events. If you can't clear at all, that's just the total altitude change. Yes, I've had ear block bad enough that I couldn't clear it, and driven over that 2600 foot mountain. Mild to moderate discomfort.

Last edited:

James

Grogginess, stiffness, lingering congestion and a vague pressure in your ears... Those things can lead to problems.

I'd be more willing to go on a calm and CAVU day that on a scuddy day where I was going to have to dance with the weather. You're the only one who can say whether you're fit for a flight. Self assessment is a very personal thing.

Pressurized cabin climbs and descents at 300 FPM
Airplane depending upon weight - 1000 to 8000 FPM

Sorry didn't clarify that it was a pressurized airplane.

Considering the OP is a spam can driver, he can climb as slow has he needs to, once clear of obstacles. Or he can turn around if he needs to.

300 FPM seems awfully slow for an airliner, at least at low altitude. Maybe for a cruise-climb in the flight levels. It sure looks like well over 1000 FPM right after rotation.

The measure that matters is the altitude change between clearing events. If you can't clear at all, that's just the total altitude change. Yes, I've had ear block bad enough that I couldn't clear it, and driven over that 2600 foot mountain. Mild to moderate discomfort.

"Have to" or "should"?

The former indicates it's regulatory.

Well, this is the guideline from the FAA, of course you are grounding yourself as pilot in command, but as pilot in command you have the responsibility to wait 5 X the dosing interval...which for Benadryl should actually be 40 hours, my mistake. It is in the regs, Ed.

Pharmaceutical Considerations:
The nonsedating antihistamines loratadine, desloratadine, and fexofenadine may be used while flying if, after an adequate initial trial period, symptoms are controlled without adverse side effects.
Applicants with seasonal allergies requiring any other antihistamine (oral and/or nasal) may be certified by the examiner only as follows:
With the stipulation that they do not exercise the privileges of airman certificate while taking the medication, AND
Wait after the last dose until either:
At least five maximal dosing intervals* have passed. For example, if the medication is taken every 4-6 hours, wait 30 hours (5x6) after the last dose to fly, or,
At least five times the maximum terminal elimination half-life has passed. For example, if the medication half-life* is 6-8 hours, wait 40 hours (5x8) after the last dose to fly.
* Examiners are encouraged to look up the dosing intervals and half-life.

Last edited:
I flew for years while taking Allegra regularly. I'd have had compromised equilibrium without it. And equilibrium is what my key is to deciding whether to fly or not fly due to congestion. And that supports my earlier comment about clear weather versus obscured conditions.

Make good choices that make sense for you.

falls under Title 14 Subchapter D Part 67 Medical Standards and Certification

OK, but I don't have seasonal allergies.

Edit: I do not see what you quoted in part 67.

Last edited:
OK, so it's guidance and not regulatory.

Note: I'm not saying that one should go out and fly while taking Benadryl or anything else that can affect performance. But must/have/shall indicates a regulation whereas should indicates a recommendation.

Last edited:
If you have an incident 24 hours after taking benadryl and that is found in a subsequent accident investigation, it is my understanding, (as a very new AME), that there could be certification repercussions, I know I have been instructed to document informing a pilot of this fact during a medical exam....

I am talking about educating pilots about safe flying from a medical standpoint not-

130523searches.jpg
Show me your OTC Medication Bottles...

Now, if I have used language loosly, (i.e. regulation) then my faux pas

This does fall under part 67, but since Medical Science changes all the time, it is not codified in stone the way other parts of the FARs are...at least as I understand it,
I am a young AME (in AME terms not age) not an attorney.

Back