single vs multi commercial

ipasgas1

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dan
I have my private sel and mel and have met the time/PIC requirements for my commercial rating in either. My issue is that my written test expires in January as work and personal life got in the way of working on the practical portion. However, I have the next month available to work on the practical portion. I have my own single engine airplane but it is not retractable. I have been told a couple of different things and would like a consensus.
First, I have been told to do my commercial multi first as it would be quicker and I would be less rushed. I could then do the single commercial in my plane without worrying about the retractable requirement.
At a different school, I have been told to do my single first, using my plane for the maneuvers (to save rental cost) and then the approach/retract with their Arrow. I could then move on the multi.
Any ideas as to which would be the better route? My two main concerns are my time constraints (which would be faster) and cost (getting multi first would cost more?). If it matters, I am in Florida so hopefully weather will not be a problem.
Thanks for your thoughts and advice,
Dan

You could do it either way. Personally, if you are up against a time crunch and are comfortable/relatively proficient in ME flying, the I would opt for the Comm AMEL first - it is an easier flight test.

You could do it either way. Personally, if you are up against a time crunch and are comfortable/relatively proficient in ME flying, the I would opt for the Comm AMEL first - it is an easier flight test.
The Comm MEL is only easier if it isn't your initial. If it's your initial you'll have to perform all the Commercial maneuvers, landings, OEI and single engine approach.

The Comm MEL is only easier if it isn't your initial. If it's your initial you'll have to perform all the Commercial maneuvers, landings, OEI and single engine approach.

I thought you didn't do the performance maneuvers for the multi -- even if it was the initial.

I remember when I took my MEL checkride, the examiner asked if it was for private or commercial as it was the same ride...

I remember when I took my MEL checkride, the examiner asked if it was for private or commercial as it was the same ride...

The tasks for the flight test are essentially the same although the standard is different.

To me it would make most sense and be the most economical to do the CMEL first and then do the com single engine add on in your own plane. No need to spend the money to rent the arrow.

Do the ME Commercial first, it's a quick easy ride, stops the clock on the written, and gets the retract issues out of the way so you can do your CSEL in a fixed gear plane.

I've decided upon the CMEL. Now, I am trying to find an accelerated MEL program that is somewhat cost effective. I have written several programs (I live in southwest Florida) but as yet, nobody has written back?? Any recommendations?
Thanks again,
Dan

I've decided upon the CMEL. Now, I am trying to find an accelerated MEL program that is somewhat cost effective. I have written several programs (I live in southwest Florida) but as yet, nobody has written back?? Any recommendations?
Thanks again,
Dan

If you have trouble finding someone over there, let me know and I'll hook you up with a MEI buddy and a low cost Seminole out of FXE.

Thanks again,
Dan
If you can travel you should check out Traverse Air with Tom. I'm doing my multi with him this weekend.

I have had a couple of people down here recommend Tom at Traverse Air. I have a call and email in to him. IHenning, I may take you up on that if I can't get a response elsewhere, thanks!! Talked to Air America in Daytona but guy I spoke with was not an instructor so he took my info and said someone would call me back in the next couple of days...

I have had a couple of people down here recommend Tom at Traverse Air. I have a call and email in to him. IHenning, I may take you up on that if I can't get a response elsewhere, thanks!! Talked to Air America in Daytona but guy I spoke with was not an instructor so he took my info and said someone would call me back in the next couple of days...

If you want to get it done, go to somewhere that does them in a weekend and has an examiner on staff. The problem down here is getting a DPE for a ride, they are a month+ out typically.

Tom in Michigan is booked through the December. I have a little over 500hrs TT with 150hrs of multi and an instrument rating. I haven't flown much in the last year and it has been 3 years since I flew twins. Just did my BFR last week...

Okay, now I am confused again...I have been told that although I have my private MEL, I will still need 20 hours of dual and 10 hours of ground regardless of my AMEL and hours. Is that true? If so, the cheapest I have found is right at $6000 whereas if I do my CSEL first, it would be 10 hours dual in my plane for maneuvers and 10 dual in the Arrow plus the checkride which would run around $2700-3000? I assumed my multi time would give me a break from the standard CMEL initial training. I thought the initial part meant initial multi training...does it mean initial commercial training? I thought the multi commercial would be more like an add on so maybe 10 hours at most... Am I wrong or are they just trying to get more money out of me?
Thanks,
Dan

Okay, now I am confused again...I have been told that although I have my private MEL, I will still need 20 hours of dual and 10 hours of ground regardless of my AMEL and hours. Is that true? If so, the cheapest I have found is right at $6000 whereas if I do my CSEL first, it would be 10 hours dual in my plane for maneuvers and 10 dual in the Arrow plus the checkride which would run around $2700-3000? I assumed my multi time would give me a break from the standard CMEL initial training. I thought the initial part meant initial multi training...does it mean initial commercial training? I thought the multi commercial would be more like an add on so maybe 10 hours at most... Am I wrong or are they just trying to get more money out of me?
Thanks,
Dan

Are you looking to work with your license? What is your objective? How many ME hours do you have? If you are working on a transition to a pilot career, the extra expense and ME hours are irrelevant because you will need those ME hours anyway moving forward. While there have been times when lower were accepted, typical ME time looked for is 200 for regionals, and 50-100 for charter right seat.

Am I wrong or are they just trying to get more money out of me?
Thanks,
Dan
They are trying to get money out of you. Are they doing this part 141? Give them the finger and find another place to train.

I did my AMEL as PP. I did not do 20 hours of dual and 10 hours of ground when I went up for my Comm AMEL, but I did not do it at a 141 school.

The only dual I did before my Comm ride was the required dual x-countries and I think 3 hours of checkride prep.

They may be just going by 61.129 and hoping you will just fall for it. According to it, you need to have:

10 hours instrument (5 in multi). Since you have your instrument rating, you should have most, if not all, of this.
10 hours of multi training. You have this or will have it.
2 hour day 100nm cross-country
2 hour night 100nm cross-country
3 hour practical test prep
10 hours solo including 300nm cross-country.

My guess, based on your posted experienced is that you may have everything except the 3 hours of practical test prep and, maybe, the night cross-country (only because most pilots avoid night). Of course, these 20 hours are supposed to be "training" and I'm not an expert on what fits the definition.

Anyway, I'm hoping that all you need is the 3 hours of test prep from a qualified instructor. Good luck.

I did multi-commercial and then my single engine add-on. I'm not sure which way is more cost effective as I hadn't looked at the total cost the other way. The reason I went commercial multi first is it resulted in more multi-time. If you want more multi-time or need it for whatever reason this is a good way to get some more multi-time. I know plenty pilots who did it both ways and no one way has seemed to be better than the other. The people who did it each way seem to stand by that way!

Back