Want To Buy Single Port USB Power Source

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
Looking for a single port USB power source. Must be able to use on a certified aircraft.

Thanks!

Looking for a single port USB power source. Must be able to use on a certified aircraft.
Are you looking to plug in something like this into a cigarette lighter socket?
6438909cv12d.jpg

I'm about to pull the trigger on a trueblue 100W PD. $800 is pain but I should be able to charge any reasonable doodad now and in future. Hell it will charge my macbook pro. :)

Their 60W one is just as credible, and less money, but I like overkill.

If you just want 15W, the garmin dual one looked really nice and was reasonable.

Spruce has a whole selection of certified units. If I could get midcontinent to take my money, I'd report on how the 100W sucker is.

When I had my panel redone about 7 years ago, I had a nifty two-port USB outlet installed in the panel. I also kept the original cigarette lighter, and had two more installed (a second in the center of the panel and one in the back of the plane).

I regret installing the USB ports, and if I could do it over, I'd delete them from the panel. They were way more expensive than the cigarette lighters, and are trapped at the technology level of the day, which no longer supports my current phone/tablets at max charge speeds, so I never use them now. However, I'm really glad I installed the cigarette lighters. For the foreseeable future I'll continue to be able to buy reasonably-priced adapters that will match whatever charging standards come along, including changes in socket standards (like the current shift from USB A to USB C).

Reactions: WDD
I'm about to pull the trigger on a trueblue 100W PD. $800 is pain but I should be able to charge any reasonable doodad now and in future. Hell it will charge my macbook pro. :)

Their 60W one is just as credible, and less money, but I like overkill.

If you just want 15W, the garmin dual one looked really nice and was reasonable.

Spruce has a whole selection of certified units. If I could get midcontinent to take my money, I'd report on how the 100W sucker is.

Prefer to pick-up a used unit if possible. The True Blue 100W is not in the budget, for sure.

I like the comment about current technology! that stuff is changing everyday and standard USB is already getting long in the tooth. Just buy a decent charger plug for aviation as some of the cheaper ones will wipe out your radios with stray RF!

I like the comment about current technology! that stuff is changing everyday and standard USB is already getting long in the tooth. Just buy a decent charger plug for aviation as some of the cheaper ones will wipe out your radios with stray RF!

I only need it to power a Stratus 3, which doesn't require a large number of amps. I don't want to stick something in the cigarette lighter because of the RF issue. I have a open hole in my panel, and can put it there.

I just went with a cigarette lighter. Any usb port is going to be obsolete sooner or later. You just need a good adaptor so you don’t have RF issues. My 182 I’m running a usb a and c pd adaptor and don’t have any RF noise. 120 just runs a usb a but it tells me plane’s voltage and temp too.

Just buy a decent charger plug for aviation as some of the cheaper ones will wipe out your radios with stray RF!
You just need a good adaptor so you don’t have RF issues.
Yup. My cigarette USB adapter also has zero RF issues.

Also, I've heard stories of panel units that had RF issues, albeit attributed to manufacturing defects.

Just buy a decent charger plug for aviation as some of the cheaper ones will wipe out your radios with stray RF!
You just need a good adaptor so you don’t have RF issues.
Yup. My cigarette USB adapter also has zero RF issues.

Also, I've heard stories of panel units that had RF issues, albeit attributed to manufacturing defects.

I have a hole in the panel that I want to fill with a panel-mounted USB power supply. Thanks for the advice, though.

I have a hole in the panel that I want to fill with a panel-mounted USB power supply. Thanks for the advice, though.
Well, if you're not looking for something used in the classifieds, then this should fit your bill, and is short term future-compatible with USB C.

It's 0.4 AMUs, however.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/stratuspowerpro11-18449.php?clickkey=6431
11-18449a.jpg

Or for $100 or less, you can get one of these, throw it in your flight bag, and charge anything your want with 100WH, plus jump start your tug, truck, or plane if needed.

I bought this one and don't use my panel power any more.

https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-GP4000-Starter-SuperSafe-Portable/dp/B09HJH1S41/

61EezuTseLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I am looking for something used, and have been looking in the classifieds. I didn't find anything, and was hoping someone might have something on the shelf, collecting dust.
For various reasons (not the least of which is that you're only saving very little money compared to new after you add everything up) my observation is that something of this ilk is a rather rare find on the secondary market, but best of luck to you.

For various reasons (not the least of which is that you're only saving very little money compared to new after you add everything up) my observation is that something of this ilk is a rather rare find on the secondary market, but best of luck to you.

It's a "want," not a "need," so I'm hoping to save a few bucks.

Back