Single Plane/Single Pilot 135 with 2-pilot aircraft

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
No, I'm not thinking about starting a 135. I'm too smart for that now. :)

But while chatting with my wife about airplane stuff, I had the musing about "What about a single plane/single pilot 135, but if you want to use a 2-pilot aircraft?" My assumption is that you can't, that would drive you to a standard 135 certificate.

One of the people who knows the regs better than me I'm sure has the answer to this one.

I'm with Bell206. The single pilot/9 pax limit is a consideration. Another (improbable) route would be to have a part time on call co-pilot and you're limited to 19 pax. Likely be restricted to VFR single pilot.
Think back to the Kobe Bryant event. Aircraft was a Sikorsky S-76. The Flight Manual says that can be flown by a single pilot. The operator removed seats so that it was limited to 8 pax. Also removed the CVR and WX radar. Operated full time as single pilot.

Last edited:
My reading of Ted's question is that he is talking about an aircraft where 2 pilots are required by certification, not one where single pilot is an option as in the early Citations. In that case it would be no, even for Part 91.

Back