Single Pilot Cargo Study

It'll happen. Not today or tomorrow. Maybe the day after tomorrow.

It'll happen. Not today or tomorrow. Maybe the day after tomorrow.
Not likely all that soon. The friggin’ cargo feeders won’t spend the money to put f’n GPS/RNAV in their airplanes let alone pony up for full automation.

Not likely all that soon. The friggin’ cargo feeders won’t spend the money to put f’n GPS/RNAV in their airplanes let alone pony up for full automation.

Pilots are cheaper than certified GPSes. LOL.

Not kidding. Really not kidding.

FedEx just ordered 30 new ATR72-600F dedicated freighters (with 20 options). Not every parcel is flown by a mom&pop feeder using minimal equipment.

I don't think Amazon is going to be all that sentimental about paying a second guy to sit in the cockpit. They are calculating their per parcel shipping cost to 5 digits past the decimal point, the moment they can save a penny by operating a captain-only fleet, they are going to do it.

Cessna also has their little mid-sized cargo-feeder specific twin coming down their pipeline. I'd bet big money it's certified single-pilot.

Actually, I think the most expensive avionics suite in existence pales before the cost of an employee with benefits. I suspect it pales before the benefits themselves.

Good luck retrofitting the majority of cargo fleets. Keep in mind cargo is where aging airplanes go to die.

"Modern" cargo planes are B-757/767, MD-11F, MD-10 and A-300's. After airplanes are no longer economically viable as passenger planes they are converted to freighters. The latest are the B-737 "classics" the -300's and -400's.

Cessna also has their little mid-sized cargo-feeder specific twin coming down their pipeline. I'd bet big money it's certified single-pilot.

Aren't Cessna's current cargo feeders (Caravans) flown single pilot?

Aren't Cessna's current cargo feeders (Caravans) flown single pilot?
Many are, many aren’t. The lower 48 cargo guys I’ve heard of (which is only a couple) run single pilot. One of the ops, an UPS feeder, is talking about adding a SIC. I suspect they have problems finding qualified pilots so they need to start growing their own.

Lots of Alaska 208 stuff uses two pilots.

Back