Single Engine Plane lands in subdivision

Oh boy- it's a Cirrus too! Let the fun begin!

Obviously this pilot was retarded for landing on a street instead of the airport, but out of curiousity I looked up the google earth images of the airport and street he landed on. I don't see how you miss a runway, but they do look somewhat similar since there are houses off the runway.

Attachments

• AirportVsStreet.jpg
    AirportVsStreet.jpg
    959.7 KB · Views: 88
That's another reason to check the numbers. Correct direction.....check Actual runway....... Check.

A flustered student pilot on his first x-country, similar looking road, I could see doing a low approach. But I think you would notice the houses.

What a retard! Okay, I can see that the runway is similar due to the houses. But this guy apparently ran into a bunch of mailboxes etc...

Chinese and didn't speak english well. I would have died laughing if I saw this. I'm glad no one was hurt. I think its hilarious that the pilot tried to tell one of the homeowners "this is pilot country, we land here all the time"

I wonder if this was the guy in our pattern last week who announced "Cessna airplane 602 base landing for.... to... number runway on 03"

Last edited:
I fly over Pilot Country on a regular basis and it isn't easy to identify and looks mostly like another road. It's not hard to believe a student pilot wouldn't able to pick the airport out. But it is pretty hard to believe they'd land on whatever looked most like an airport. It's also hard to believe that an instructor would sign you off to fly there if they reviewed the flight.

OK, even IF you line up on a road instead of a runway, why don't you go around when you realize it's not really a runway? Or was he having an engine problem?

Makes perfect sense. Chinese plane, Chinese pilot, we owe them $$$$, so they can land anywhere they want.

OK, even IF you line up on a road instead of a runway, why don't you go around when you realize it's not really a runway? Or was he having an engine problem?

He told one of the homeowners that he was at pilot country and he landed there all the time. Apparently nailing a few mailboxes and a fence on roll-out is normal for pilot country. Remind me not to land there.

I thought I'd seen it all. As we say on the mil side: the thing about SA is..when you don't have it, you won't miss it. :D

I fly over Pilot Country on a regular basis and it isn't easy to identify and looks mostly like another road.
The airport is actually called "Pilot Country"? Now what he said makes more sense.

According to deputies, the 22-year-old student pilot said his GPS indicated that Citation Road in the Pasco Trails subdivision was a Pilot Country Airport landing strip.
You mean that's not a runway? Obviously it was a mistake but I can see how they look somewhat similar.

I'll hand it to the kid for having just 10 hours and putting a Cirrus down in a subdivision without killing anyone and walking away without a scratch but it is one of the more extreme examples of "superior pilots use superior judgement to avoid using their superior skills" that I've heard of.

:yikes:

Seriously, when working on my PPL my CFI told me to first do a low approach if I'm not 100% sure. get to know the runway, check the windsock, then stay and the pattern and land. Less surprises - cross wind/crosswalks

Makes perfect sense. Chinese plane, Chinese pilot, we owe them $$$$, so they can land anywhere they want.

That is awesome.

Student pilots shouldn't be allowed on cross countries using a gps. If they can't do it the old style way, then they shouldn't be doing it at all.
Oh, I meant to write something along those lines.
I think they SHOULD have gps, but keep it off for emergencies only.
That's what I did, and never had to use it.

It's the "VFR option package". IFR-only planes don't need windows, right?

High tech planes only need the pilot to move the joystick as he/she looks at the color display.

Why waste the display space with useless windows?

Now, in addition to the color-blindness plates and the other eye-charts there will be one more set of flash-cards: One is a subdivision, one is an airport.

Just think! In six months he'll be in the right seat of a China Airlines Airbus!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I lived 8 SM from Pilot Country or ten years and landed there many times. It was kinda neat to turn off the runway and taxi through the streets to get back to the other end of the runway.

Even as a (properly endorsed) student pilot, one would be hard pressed to mistake any of the roads there for Pilot Country.

I always wanted to live there, but alas I got second choice in the house selection committee meeting. :(

Back