Single Engine Piper emergency landing

Nice to see it was a good outcome. One can only wonder what the ‘pop’ was.

Cajon Pass is where they make turbulence, so that is a really bad place to descend into the canyon...

A few minutes later and there would have been just about nowhere to land safely. Great job!

BTW, you don't have to declare an emergency to land on Route 66 :)
https://www.route66news.com/2018/09/03/flying-into-amboy/
IMG_20200517_182204_awird5.jpg

It's nice to read a by-the-book good outcome on one of these. Too many grim tales lately.

Good on him.

Apple Valley to Riverside, however, made an emergency landing in the Cajon Pass, Southern California. New pilot 18 years old with 3 passengers landing on a roadway without injury or damage after hearing pop and engine outage. Near KONT.

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/...s-emergency-landing-on-road-in-inland-empire/

Plane was a Piper PA-28-161 with O-320 engine. Seems like a pretty small engine for loading four adults...?
f16e3e7b96f69802b6e71abb39b3c819.jpg

Not every adult weighs 200 lbs. I know everyone says a 172 isn't a real 4 seat plane but I've put 4 adults in one, left very little fuel behind and was absolutely legal/safe. Warrior is very similar in capability.

I say this 18 year old did well

PA28-161 filled only to the tabs can readily handle 4 adults of ~FAA size. Temps were pretty cold yesterday, so DA would not be an issue. Good job by the pilot.

I know everyone says a 172 isn't a real 4 seat plane but I've put 4 adults in one, left very little fuel behind and was absolutely legal/safe.

One day I was minding the store on a Saturday morning as the only employee at the FBO. A 172 landed, taxied up to the fuel pump, and four adults got out and came into the office. The pilot asked me to top off the tanks. I walked out, glanced in the luggage compartment and was slightly relieved that there was only a briefcase there. So, I filled the tanks.

When the pilot paid the fuel bill, I asked him if he was at all concerned about four adults and full fuel. He said, no, it had flown fine on the way from northern Minnesota that morning. I was thinking, yeah, but the air had to be a lot denser a few hours ago and hundreds of miles NW of here.

He told me they were headed to Shiocton, which is a grass airstrip with a 2,200-foot runway. I mentioned that a 172 had crashed into trees at that airport on its third takeoff attempt. He replied that there would not be four people on board when they take off there.

His takeoff appeared normal, but the rest of the day I was uneasy, and I watched the news later that evening hoping there would not be a story about an airplane crash. There wasn't.

On Monday, I related the story to my boss and asked if I should have done anything differently. He said, no, it is always the PIC's decision, and if we had not sold him the fuel, he probably would have just gone somewhere else for it.

Had an offer years ago to be the fourth man in a 172 headed to Sun-N-Fun. I guesstimated the weight of the others, the amount of luggage for four guys spending three days, a moderate fuel load and quickly and decisively said, "no thanks." It may have been fine but I like to have better odds than those ...

It is a useful experience to know how an airplane flies at max gross weight. Most pilots in training spend the majority of their time flying far below max gross or at low DA, they get too used to having excess performance. Then they are surprised by the reduced performance at max gross or high DA. This is when accidents can happen. This propagates the myth that operating in those conditions is dangerous and reckless. Experience flying close to the performace limits is very useful. I have flown C150s in hot at high conditions of New Mexico. I have also operated a 172 out of Leadville, CO (elevation 9950 ft) with three adults. Yes, the difference in performance can be nerve-wracking.

The first time I flew my Piper Warrior at MGW was an educational experience. Four adults, three under the FAA guessimate, and one at it for an overnight on the Oregon coast. I allowed each person five pounds of luggage, and I got an extra five pounds for my flight bag. Plus, I had ropes, chocks, and a cover in a bin. I had never flown the plane at MGW so rather than takeoff from my 2600' home drome, I opted to pickup two of the passengers at a nearby 9000' runway. I was glad I did. With full fuel (a flight-planning error on my part), it was a completely different airplane and I wasn't ready for it. With 9000' it was no issue.

It was an interesting experience. Coming back, got weathered in at Hillsboro and sent the night at a pit bull conference hotel, and the next day at the pit bull palooza in a local park.

Back