Single Door aircraft cockpit EXIT technique - for older folks

brian]

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
brian]
The cherokee entry technique thread got me thinking again about a new problem I have:

My mother-in-law has always been the excellent PAX - and always wants a ride when in town. (Even flew a DA20 I was renting years ago !)

However, my mother-in-law is getting older and her problem now is exiting the -35. Just not the leg strength or something to push her self up or otherwise slide out on the wing. Anyway, anyone else have ideas on a better way to exit the aircraft for older folks?

(And no, I like 182s, but I'm not buying one. Might get a 55 or a 210 at some point but not at this time.)

slide the right seat all the way back

you climb over your MIL to exit first.

Then, assist your MIL.

(obviously works best if the MIL, and you, aren't wearing a dress or skirt)

brian];1753309 said:
Just not the leg strength or something to push her self up or otherwise slide out on the wing. Anyway, anyone else have ideas on a better way to exit the aircraft for older folks?

My usual egress from the Mooney is to kind of roll out hands first and then hands and knees onto the wing like a dog. Then stand up outside while on the wing. If she wears jeans, might this work?

If I ever go flying with my MIL, it will go like this:

Have MIL pop open door
Climb over MIL and get on wing
Open chute. :D

On the Comanche I have the door stop removed so the door can open completely. Seat all the way back swing legs out, slide off front of wing. Make sure the prop is stopped first though. Of course, it is your MIL....

My usual egress from the Mooney is to kind of roll out hands first and then hands and knees onto the wing like a dog. Then stand up outside while on the wing. If she wears jeans, might this work?

This may be the winner.

Man, it sure is hard watching parents getting older....

Speaking as an elderly person with leg strength problems, let me address this. A time came when I discovered that becoming upright from the "dog" stance was impossible. My upper leg strength would simply not lift my weight up. Six weeks of physical therapy was the answer. If she doesn't want (or can't afford) physical therapy, then have her try the exercises at http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/growingstronger/index.html . Even just walking up stairs two at a time can help. Once she can perform lunges, getting in and out should no longer be an issue. But, getting in and out of the airplane is less an issue than her safety in general if she is having muscle weakness. As you lose strength, you lose confidence and the ability to adapt to unexpected situations. All my love to your mother-in-law.

Speaking as an elderly person with leg strength problems, let me address this. A time came when I discovered that becoming upright from the "dog" stance was impossible. My upper leg strength would simply not lift my weight up. Six weeks of physical therapy was the answer. If she doesn't want (or can't afford) physical therapy, then have her try the exercises at http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/growingstronger/index.html . Even just walking up stairs two at a time can help. Once she can perform lunges, getting in and out should no longer be an issue. But, getting in and out of the airplane is less an issue than her safety in general if she is having muscle weakness. As you lose strength, you lose confidence and the ability to adapt to unexpected situations. All my love to your mother-in-law.

She's in rehab right now. MUCH better now. She is juggling three medical issues: Cancer, Diabetes and Coronary Heart Failure. We thought the last one would have grounded her. But it looks like the issue she had was about the lightest of the heart failure options known (long story).

And she has a boyfriend - but that is a longer story. The cool part: she has NOT stopped living...

brian];1753309 said:
The cherokee entry technique thread got me thinking again about a new problem I have:

My mother-in-law has always been the excellent PAX - and always wants a ride when in town. (Even flew a DA20 I was renting years ago !)

However, my mother-in-law is getting older and her problem now is exiting the -35. Just not the leg strength or something to push her self up or otherwise slide out on the wing. Anyway, anyone else have ideas on a better way to exit the aircraft for older folks?

(And no, I like 182s, but I'm not buying one. Might get a 55 or a 210 at some point but not at this time.)

When the old Doc would pull onto the ramp with his 310, I'd grab the tug and pull up next to the fuselage behind the right wing and he would roll himself out of the cabin, close the door and slide down the wing, and use the tug and steps to climb down, then I'd give him a ride up to the shop. He was about 90 and frail, but damned he could fly a rally and put the wheels on on the second he filed using 3 old TAG stop watches. He was fun to fly with.

There's always a way to do it well and safely, you just have to give up some pride and dignity sometimes.:lol:

Wheel chair folks I carry or drag, they're pretty much used to it and know that if they want to do things like fly and sail, there's some of that that's going to happen.

Buy a high wing and a step stool. Or the mil is going to have to find a way to crawl out,whichever way is comfortable for her.

I took my 89 year old grandmother flying in my Cardinal, and she loved it. Easy in and easy out. Now, she's not your typical 89 year old. She is very active and physically fit, and quite sharp. But still.

Getting old is a bitc-, but I never liked getting in or out of the PA-28, or beech.

Rig one of these. Problem solved! Surely the FAA wouldn't deny a little old lady her airplane lift??

attachment.php

Attachments

• lift.jpg
    lift.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 152
I took my 89 year old grandmother flying in my Cardinal, and she loved it. Easy in and easy out. Now, she's not your typical 89 year old. She is very active and physically fit, and quite sharp. But still.

Cardinal is bar none the easiest in and out airplane in the GA fleet. When I take handicapped people up, I always try to find one.

maybe you could discretely arrange with someone who will be at the airport to meet you as you land and do the assisting for you? kind of like: "oh hey, Brian], I see you just landed. Oh hi Mrs. Brian], here, let me help you with that".

either that or, when you land, just yell "SNAKES IN THE PLANE!!!!!!" and I'll bet she jumps right out. :)

brian];1753360 said:
This may be the winner.

Man, it sure is hard watching parents getting older....

Getting in and out of GA airplanes is not entirely simple. I wouldn't trust the hands and knees approach is the winner unless dear MIL can actually crawl on her hands and knees and scoot off the seat and over the threshold onto the wing. Physical therapy can work wonders, but eventually there comes a point when it isn't possible anymore. I think the sturdy step stool + high wing is the best approach for the elderly if they're going to fly.

As far as parents getting old - sorry, but stand by, it gets worse. Just remember that when you're dealing with your parents, you're teaching your children how to deal with you. If there was ever a place that the Golden Rule applied, it is here.

Yea, I really tried to find a C177RG, but I just never could get everything put together at the right time. (I was late to the negotiations for the good examples, or the example was a little more ragged than I wanted to start with. Ditto for the Piper 180s - man they go QUICK!)

I really like that sling / lift. Interesting.

(The -35 has been fine and will likely be my "toy" airplane for years to come. I may need access to something "bigger" later, but that is a different conversation and business related.)

brian];1753464 said:
Yea, I really tried to find a C177RG, but I just never could get everything put together at the right time. (I was late to the negotiations for the good examples, or the example was a little more ragged than I wanted to start with. Ditto for the Piper 180s - man they go QUICK!)

I really like that sling / lift. Interesting.

(The -35 has been fine and will likely be my "toy" airplane for years to come. I may need access to something "bigger" later, but that is a different conversation and business related.)

Bring a sheet or blanket for her to be able to crawl on. To get out she has to just boost up to the door frame and roll out. If you need help getting her to the door frame, I know how you can build a simple booster that you can lever from the pilot's seat.

Last edited:
Its easier to take newbies flying when they don't feel trapped wondering how the heck they can get out without breaking something.

Convenience is one thing; there was another thread some time back about if having a passenger in the co-pilots' seat who had limited mobility was a safety hazard. Consider if you really could, when you must, climb over your MIL (or whomever) to exit first, then assist them in exiting in case of a forced landing.

Convenience is one thing; there was another thread some time back about if having a passenger in the co-pilots' seat who had limited mobility was a safety hazard. Consider if you really could, when you must, climb over your MIL (or whomever) to exit first, then assist them in exiting in case of a forced landing.

This is a major consideration, and when it is a potential issue, I tell my passenger, "In an emergency, I am going out over you first, then dragging you out behind me, so try to make room for me best you can." For the most part I and they are both slim enough that it's not likely to pose a threat. If it is, I'll fly right seat and put them in the left. I don't mind flying right, I have enough time right, left, and center that it doesn't matter to me anymore. I've flown a lot of flights right solo just so I didn't have to slide over some console someone built.

Brian, I'm not sure if your Bonanza has right hand brakes or not. If it does, why not just fly from the right seat and let your MIL get in first and sit on the left? I've always found it easier to get in and out of the left seat than it is to get out of the right seat.

Or, have her sit in the back. The rear seats don't seem too hard to get in and out of either.

This is the exact reason a rear cabin entry door was on my "need" list when purchasing out new aircraft. It's certainly something to think about ahead of time as your mission(s) evolve.

This is the exact reason a rear cabin entry door was on my "need" list when purchasing out new aircraft. It's certainly something to think about ahead of time as your mission(s) evolve.

Rear cabin doors are great if you want to load people in the rear, makes everything so much easier, and you can even get nice collapsable/ fold flat steps that sit neatly in the footwell.

I really wish the bo had breaks on the right side. That would help a lot. Just not sure I would use them enough if I did happen to find them at a salvage yard somewhere.

Last time was the only flight where she had an issue. I was able to climb over and help her out. This did trigger the conversation with my wife about how safe it would be if we were to fly her again in the bonanza.

Just pick her up from the therapy center and she is doing much better. There will be a lot of conversation if she is to fly again.

Several good ideas here if that does happen though - - many thanks..

Back