Singer Troy Gentry killed in helo crash

mscard88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
Flying W airport in NJ on a helo.

Wife and 2 kids. Great band Montgomery-Gentry, singer. Love their music.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...gentry-duo-killed-helicopter-crash/647368001/

I learned and flew in that area as a PP. The airport was mothballed back then though.

sendbinary_small.asp

KN14.jpg

Last edited:
Just heard about this. Sad. :(

Wow that is sad. Used to listen to Montgomery Gentry all the time. Tired of flying things crashing :(

"The Associated Press reported the pilot of the helicopter also died."

This is also very sad.

It was real popular on the Nashville news tonight. Really sad to hear a celebrity died as he had a couple of kids, but it kind of eclipsed the fact that the PIC died with him. Prayers for both families.

What's this talk about 'hovering for several minutes with a mechanical problem while waiting for the fire department'? Yes, could easily be bogus info. If true though it would imply engine power and controllability, while hovering & waiting?

It makes no sense to not set down & work out the rest later. Just a tidbit mentioned in one of the news articles, very tragic for those involved.

Saw a news video interviewing one of the pilot's friends saying he had called in saying his throttle was stuck wide open.

Saw a news video interviewing one of the pilot's friends saying he had called in saying his throttle was stuck wide open.
Not sure if the Schweizer has a governor or not, but from the limited experience in helicopters that I've had, the throttle is always left at 100%, at least in the 206 and Robinson heli's. So not sure why that would've had any factor.

Not sure if the Schweizer has a governor or not, but from the limited experience in helicopters that I've had, the throttle is always left at 100%, at least in the 206 and Robinson heli's. So not sure why that would've had any factor.

I think the 269 uses a basic "correlator" that adds / reduces fuel with collective and the pilot fine tunes it with throttle. Used to always hear the old Army dudes brag about "old school" TH-55s with manual throttle.

I think the 269 uses a basic "correlator" that adds / reduces fuel with collective and the pilot fine tunes it with throttle. Used to always hear the old Army dudes brag about "old school" TH-55s with manual throttle.
Similar to a Bell 47?

Similar to a Bell 47?

It sounds similar. No idea on the inner workings, failure modes, EPs, etc. All my stuff is turbine time. 99% of the time FADEC is in full control of the fuel flow. ;)

If the EP was some sort of overspeed, I would think 1) reduce throttle, if no fuel control (stuck at full throttle), then 2) increase collective and then 3) fly to a suitable area to perform an auto.

But, based on the limited information, too early to tell what actually happened. Even more distressing was the Duke Medical H145 that went down yesterday killing all 4. Haven't heard any details whatsoever that caused the crashed. Sad day.

Even more distressing was the Duke Medical H145 that went down yesterday killing all 4. Haven't heard any details whatsoever that caused the crashed. Sad day.
I had not heard about that one. A sad day indeed. :(
Be safe out there!

Troy was a friend of mine and one of the sweetest people I’ve met. So sad to hear this yesterday. RIP T-Roy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So
Troy was a friend of mine and one of the sweetest people I’ve met. So sad to hear this yesterday. RIP T-Roy

So sorry for your loss. Just a fan myself, but certainly feel bad for you

Sorry man, for your loss. He was very talented and could sing. I have all their music. There was a show on CMT a few years ago , forget the name, but it pairs up dissimilar acts performing together. They were paired w/ Skynyrd and they hung w/ them, and rocked out. They have some very talented musicians in that band. Again, sorry for for the loss of your friend, Mr T-Roy.

Duke crash scared me... Girl wife went to med school with flies on neonate/pediatric runs and her husband is an RT on Duke flights. Luckily both were on the ground. Crappy day for helos. My neighbor flys an R44 and his mechanic who is a long time helicopter pilot just died, but in a motorcycle crash, not helicopter...

What an amazing talent. Had always hoped to see him in concert.

I had a chance to see Don Williams in concert in 1979, but I did not have the $7.50 for a ticket.

The gentle giant was one of my favorites....

I had a chance to see Don Williams in concert in 1979, but I did not have the $7.50 for a ticket.

The gentle giant was one of my favorites....

Back when a 6 pack was a couple of bucks, so understandable where your priority was. :rofl:

Back when a 6 pack was a couple of bucks, so understandable where your priority was. :rofl:

I worked in a truck stop back then, mostly fixing flats on 18 wheelers and doing oil change and lube jobs. Making $3.50 an hour. I thought I was raking it in. And there was no pavement on the property....

If I remember, Lone Star Beer was $2.25 a 6 pack... Nothing but the best for me..!!!

I worked in a truck stop back then, mostly fixing flats on 18 wheelers and doing oil change and lube jobs. Making $3.50 an hour. I thought I was raking it in. And there was no pavement on the property....

If I remember, Lone Star Beer was $2.25 a 6 pack... Nothing but the best for me..!!!

Hey that's better than Falstaff or Sterling beer! :yes:

Very sad to hear, like many have said, let's not forget about the pilot. Nonetheless, always like MG, good group. RIP.

Don Williams also passed away on the same day.

Been a rough year for country music, Glen Campbell passed away just a couple weeks ago. Somebody quick, wrap Willie Nelson in bubble wrap, the legends are dropping like flies.

I wish it was still that cheap, I pack a few cases back every time I go. I love the stuff. National Beer of Texas

Looks like an attempted auto that went bad for unknown reasons.

Apparently on Liveatc the pilot told an instructor on the ground that the throttle was stuck and when he reduced collective the engine would overspeed. The instructor suggested either a run on with power or do an auto with the engine out. He elected to do the auto. Not sure why it got to almost vertical at the end and the rotor blades drooping to the point where the IP could actually see individual blades. Either the pilot had way too much collective or the freewheeling unit didn't disengage.

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20170908X43517&key=1

Last edited:
Been playing MG songs on my iPod the past two days. They sure had good stuff.

Back