Simulated vs actual IFR flight

AndyZ

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AndyZ
I’m a low time IFR rated pilot. I have no problems to fly under the hood with CFII, very enjoyable doing so. While solo in actual IMC, I once was really concerned/ scared while dropped 200 Feet. So it’s really different in real life on simulated vs actual IMC conditions. Your thoughts and recommendations?

You clearly need more actual. Don't get discouraged. It's not natural to excel at this immediately.

I have no idea where you are, but do you have an instrument-rated/current friend that will fly with you? Do you get the chance to fly much actual where you live?

Fly in actual IMC with a CFII. It can be unnerving to go into actual, knowing you can’t just remove the hood or say “your airplane” if you get into trouble. So give yourself the “your airplane” option with a CFII until you get more comfortable.

You can take an instrument rated but non-CFII friend with instead, but the problem there is that a lot of instrument rated pilots won’t be that sharp on instruments and probably won’t have any instrument time from the right seat, which adds a dimension that can do you more harm than good.

I’m a low time IFR rated pilot. I have no problems to fly under the hood with CFII, very enjoyable doing so. While solo in actual IMC, I once was really concerned/ scared while dropped 200 Feet. So it’s really different in real life on simulated vs actual IMC conditions. Your thoughts and recommendations?
I've seen it before. I was asked to ride with a rated pilot who was not confident in the clouds. VFR outbound (Good VFR below 2,000) and less than an hour home. Other pilot was under the hood. We went through two cloud layers climbing to our assigned alt. Requested lower and got back down between layers. Zero turbulence. Asked Roy to take off the hood. He was firm in his no. He said he needed the hood. Also very uneasy with no ground contact. He is the only person I know that needs a hood. ???

I've seen it before. I was asked to ride with a rated pilot who was not confident in the clouds. VFR outbound (Good VFR below 2,000) and less than an hour home. Other pilot was under the hood. We went through two cloud layers climbing to our assigned alt. Requested lower and got back down between layers. Zero turbulence. Asked Roy to take off the hood. He was firm in his no. He said he needed the hood. Also very uneasy with no ground contact. He is the only person I know that needs a hood. ???

Wowwwza

A hood can always be removed. Actual can't. Even aside from the famous "one peek," that is guaranteed to have a psychological effect.

The only cure is exposure. Some of us got a decent amount during training. Some need to go up on high ceiling scattered to broken days. Others need to wake up one morning, see it's IFR, and call their friendly neighborhood CFII. All can work. None make you any less of a pilot.

I was blessed to have had plenty of actual during training, and I much preferred flying in actual, unencumbered, than with the stupid hood. Having done actual IMC flight during training was important for developing confidence in flying in real IMC. Perhaps the best way to dispel the lack of confidence flying in IMC is to fly with an instructor until you are comfortable doing so. Many days, it is possible to seek out benign IFR by flying in and not between layers. The flying part is actually the easiest part. When in actual IMC, weather and fuel decision making may take on heightened significance since there is a reason there is IMC about.

All good suggestions and comments. I guess I need a little more actual IMC training with my CFII. It’s my weakness and better to fix it earlier than later.

I tell my instrument students that the first time they enter actual IMC is a ‘semi-religious’ experience
No one has disagreed with me yet!
I do my best to get as much actual IMC as possible during training. There is no substitute!
I strongly suggest you fly in IMC with an instructor or well qualified safety pilot until you feel comfortable to do it on your own.

I just tell them it will be like someone dipped the plane in oil. It will feel really slippery to control due to the lost visual clues that squeeze by the corners of a hood that your brain can use to control the airplane.

Way back when, my first experience in actual conditions was on the instrument checkride. For a couple years my actual was climbing or descending thru layers. Found that being in cloud was no big deal, aircraft control was actually easier being able to see the entire panel at one time. Get comfortable on instruments and have fun.

Part of flying IMC is psychological. You are in an unnatural environment, its normal to be uncomfortable. The busier you are the easier it seems to be. Get some actual with a CFII and then by yourself, before you take anyone else. The distraction of a passenger not familiar with IMC flight can be a handful all by itself.

Back