Simple home built?

dlsmith

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dylan Smith
So I have to do a thesis project before graduation, and I am seriously considering building a very simple kit airplane. So, I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for one for a first time builder?

I would prefer

Taildragger
2 seats
Aerobatic to some degree

None of those are requirements, but just preferences. Im really open to anything. I'm mainly looking for simple to build and relatively low cost. Any ideas?

So I have to do a thesis project before graduation, and I am seriously considering building a very simple kit airplane. So, I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for one for a first time builder?

I would prefer

Taildragger
2 seats
Aerobatic to some degree

None of those are requirements, but just preferences. I'm mainly looking for simple to build and relatively low cost. Any ideas?

Fisher products. very simple assembly methods.

August of next year is what I'm hoping for

image.jpg

August of next year is what I'm hoping for

Does the plane need to be airworthy in order to get credit?

Any particular models you've been considering?

What kind of budget and time do you have?

A RANS Sakota meets your requirements. I can't see getting any kit built plane done for less than $30,000, and I can't see getting a scratch built aircraft done in one year.

A Sonex would probably be the cheapest and fastest to build kit, which meets your requirements.

So I have to do a thesis project before graduation, and I am seriously considering building a very simple kit airplane.

I'm curious to know what the academic requirements or objectives are that your thesis project must meet?

Might be some ultralights that will do what you want. That said, I cannot imagine a university program that would accept such a thing to fulfill a thesis. Following directions to assemble something is not scholarly in any way I can fathom.

Might be some ultralights that will do what you want. That said, I cannot imagine a university program that would accept such a thing to fulfill a thesis. Following directions to assemble something is not scholarly in any way I can fathom.

I agree, designing an aircraft would fulfill a thesis though.

"The CTSW is the original creation of scholars from the University of Frankfurt who designed the CT2K-version of the aeroplane as part of their aeronautical design study thesis. "

CT2K.jpg

Build a Pietenpol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sure wouldn't back when I was an adjunct in the engineering department. A former colleague of mine does direct senior drone DESIGN and construction projects that usually are entered in various AIAA/ASME/SAE flying competitions.

Cheers

sonex, assuming you're on the small side such that you can call it a 2-seater

Would also say to go with the so ex.theyhave a quick build program ,under 30 k.

I would prefer

Taildragger
2 seats
Aerobatic to some degree

None of those are requirements, but just preferences. Im really open to anything. I'm mainly looking for simple to build and relatively low cost. Any ideas?

I'm not sure if your timeline will allow any of the scratch built options. :dunno:

I would say Sonex. Aerobatic, 2 seater(if you are of a slight build), under $30k with the Aerovee, although everybody I've ever met that built a Sonex with the Aerovee engine says that they wish they had more power. After discovering Jeff Schultz's Youtube channel, I'm convinced the Jabiru 3300 would be a better option for a two person payload.

:yeahthat:The Fisher "Classic" is a BEAUTIFUL biplane. Not sure if they're aerobatic, though. Definitely the easiest. You're assembling more than you're building.

[...] The Fisher "Classic" is a BEAUTIFUL biplane. Not sure if they're aerobatic, though. Definitely the easiest. You're assembling more than you're building.

They sure look nice, but the easiest? They seem to be a lot of work, from what I see on their website. A Sonex quickbuild kit appears to be much easier and faster to assemble.

If it doesn't have to be aerobatic, as Rans, a CH-750 or even a Quicksilver kit might also be options.

They sure look nice, but the easiest? They seem to be a lot of work, from what I see on their website. A Sonex quickbuild kit appears to be much easier and faster to assemble.

If it doesn't have to be aerobatic, as Rans, a CH-750 or even a Quicksilver kit might also be options.

Yes, easiest. They're basically model airplane kits that you assemble. That may not make it the fastest to build, but by all appearances, one of the easiest if not the easiest.

Completion of ANY homebuilt type in less than a year is difficult, unless one can work on it nearly full time. I'm presuming the OP needs to attend classes, work at a part-time job, etc.

Speaking of job, there's also the issue of where to build. Planes *have* been built in apartments, but you need either no roommates or a real understanding roommate to accomplish it. Otherwise, you'll need to rent a facility that will let you use power tools, apply coatings, etc.

Ron Wanttaja

Another vote for Sonex, I was very impressed and Ordered a Waiex kit, although soon found out we have a future student pilot on the way, so started working on a bearhawk instead

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if your timeline will allow any of the scratch built options. :dunno:

I would say Sonex. Aerobatic, 2 seater(if you are of a slight build), under $30k with the Aerovee, although everybody I've ever met that built a Sonex with the Aerovee engine says that they wish they had more power. After discovering Jeff Schultz's Youtube channel, I'm convinced the Jabiru 3300 would be a better option for a two person payload.

:yeahthat:The Fisher "Classic" is a BEAUTIFUL biplane. Not sure if they're aerobatic, though. Definitely the easiest. You're assembling more than you're building.

I'm thoroughly convinced that any VW based powerplant won't generate enough thrust to adequately power a two seat airplane. Maybe the Revmaster can, maybe.

I'm thoroughly convinced that any VW based powerplant won't generate enough thrust to adequately power a two seat airplane. Maybe the Revmaster can, maybe.

I'd venture that a VW could successfully power something relatively light and clean with a high aspect ratio wing. However, the Sonex has a low aspect ratio wing and really needs more power than a VW provides. We had a local fellow with a 4 cylinder Jabiru in his Sonex. With just him aboard, the climb was pitiful.

When he went to sell it (and upgrade to one with a 6 cylinder), I happened to be at the airport when he was doing a demo flight with a potential buyer aboard. They departed, climbed to about 15', then he put the nose down and basically flew it to the ground, touched down, accelerated more, then lifted off again and went for a flight. I don't think that guy bought the airplane. ;-)

I think he made a point of having it light, light, light when he took other prospective buyers up.

If you didn't say acrobatic, I'd suggest a two seater from Airdrome Aeroplanes. Build time should be well under 1000 hrs for a first time builder. Total cost should be under 30k including a turbo VW engine. The difference is the engine and riveted aluminum tubing.

BTW, the turbo VW is what Sonex is suggesting now. Even a 2276cc engine was underpowered on almost everything they offer except maybe the onex.

I've previously priced a CH650 at 35k and a RV-12 at 65k. Never looked at a Rans.

Last edited:
If you didn't say acrobatic, I'd suggest a two seater from Airdrome Aeroplanes. Build time should be well under 1000 hrs for a first time builder. Total cost should be under 30k including a turbo VW engine. The difference is the engine and riveted aluminum tubing.

Wow, that Spirit of St. Louis kitplane looks AWESOME. Thanks for sharing this!

[...]
BTW, the turbo VW is what Sonex is suggesting now. Even a 2276cc engine was underpowered on almost everything they offer except maybe the onex. [...]

I wonder, why they seem to oppose the installation of a Rotax 912. Even though it is pricey, it is a very proven engine and I am sure that it would be a nice option for the Sonex, which would make it more attractive for a lot more people.

I heard that in Europe some people installed 912s in their Sonex and that they are perfectly happy with this combination.

Last edited:
That said, I cannot imagine a university program that would accept such a thing to fulfill a thesis. Following directions to assemble something is not scholarly in any way I can fathom.

That's my thought, too.

Back